• Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:22 pm
People of the Internet
{ A bullying discussion / rant / with advice }
WARNING: This is self opinionated.

By Lamour Amelia

The internet. A great source of entertainment and home to many.
But there is one thing you always find an abundance of. The inconsiderate people who think they're cool by going on to sites like youtube, gaia, facebook, whatever you want bring up, and bash people because they are unhappy with their own lives and insecurities. I don't care if you say "Oh I'm not insecure, I'm just blunt / rude." What is wrong with people? It's like a it's a fad to be a complete jerk to people and they think it's cool. You're not a bad a**. You're just someone who is seeking attention and finds pleasure in the pain you cause. I guess it's to be expected, especially amongst teenagers since a good majority of us are still growing up emotionally due to hormones and all that good stuff. And really it's not just 'their parents fault'. Some are influenced by those they are friends with or others act this way because they too were bullied before and are just lashing out. It tends to go on in a circle.

I remember going into chatterbox and some chick thought it would be cool to rant about how disgusting fat people are and how they should be ashamed of themselves. Who are you to tell people what to look like? Do you know their health history? Their problems in life? No? Then you have no right to judge them. Do people really think about what they say? It makes me wonder, what happened to kids like this that it made them act so inconsiderate? It's easy to talk bad about others on the internet. And frankly for some they find joy in the 'power surge' they get from it. Seriously, I highly doubt the majority of the kids on this site would be saying what they do on the internet. Especially to another person to their face. Earlier today I saw the same thing happen. I was browsing through different videos and came across a widely popular video by a girl named katie who had done a cover on a popular song. Her video received an incredible amount of views. But the only thing that people focused on was her appearance. Thousands of comments calling her fat and a pig. I only saw one comment that looked decent. The two top comments were appalling.

I've never had a problem with cyber bullies personally. And for good reason. I mind my own business and avoid talking to people with big ego's. I don't post my pictures on the internet of me or my family and I certainly do not give out personal information. I'm not afraid, I just rather not deal with having something personal out there to be abused by some unstable user on the other end of a chat or social site. What really amazes me is the lack of maturity in adults on the internet. Do you not realize that some of the things you are saying..... the way you're talking is being communicated to children under eighteen? Do you really think that it is safe for you to be flirting and sharing dirty jokes to Susan who claims to be eighteen? What would you do if you found out Little Susan is really fourteen year old Jamie? And the same goes for the kids who just randomly decide to join this site and start sharing their information openly. I understand when everyone joins a site they get all giggly and excited and just want to talk and really don't know what the hell they are doing. But if you don't do that offline what makes you think you should go online and start flirting with someone you can't even see and have never met in your entire life?

I'm turning eighteen soon. And I know for a fact that a few years ago if I had seen someone write something like this I would have rolled my eyes and probably said something stupid about it. I'm not perfect. Far from it. I may not have bullied anyone as intensely as most but I know how easily it can get out of hand. I'm only glad I stopped when I did. But there comes a time in everyone's life when you need to grow up and realize that the things you say really does affect those around you and how you are perceived. You can't live a healthy life bringing others down because you are unhappy. For some, sites like gaia online is a way of escape to take a break from a stressful day or to talk to friends and just have fun. For some, a place to pick on others for the sake of making themselves feel strong and empowered. Choose wisely. Because in five years, more or less, you're going to look back on what you did in your youth with a different view. It's up to you if you want to be proud of who you were.

For those of you who have been on the other end of cyber bullying or bullying in general, take it from someone who has been on both sides. Try not to dwell on it. I know that sometimes it is hard to keep going on and what people say can really get to you. But hang in there. There are people around you who love you and want to help you. Talk to someone about how you're feeling. And never think that the best way out of your situation is to harm yourself. If you are still a youngster or in your teens, you are more likely to make rash decisions because you're body is going through that emotional and physical change. I'm practically eighteen and I'm still going through the emotional half. And believe me it's a b***h. But what I've found that helps to get through the tough times is to talk to my friends. Just let it go, relax, and goof off. You will be amazed how good you will feel after just talking to someone even if it is complete nonsense and silliness.

And to the youth that choose to put others down? Take some tough love. Grow up a little and think good and hard about what you're doing. Because even though you may think that what you do just affects the people you do it too, it affects you as well even though you may not think so. I've been there before and I know how tempting it may be to put someone down or to have a negative attitude towards others. I learned my lesson at a young age and it's not to late for you to learn yours. There is nothing I can say to make you change the way you act. You have to do that on your own. We've all seen what bullying does to people. The bully and their victims. Suicide, emotional issues, breakdowns, depression, the list is endless and though some cases may not be as severe as others they can easily escalate.

I'm going to try and end this rant on a lighter note. I know near the beginning I was much angrier but I pretty much have calmed down now that I have been able to get out what I needed to say. Just, take some time to examine how you're behaving. Stop worrying about everyone else and what they think and focus on what you can do to improve. Be happy. I know it's easier said than done but if you start dismissing what others think about you and start having fun and enjoying yourself you'll find that it's not so hard after all. It may be different for some people depending on your situation. But at least try. I guess that's all I have to say about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 pm
*Applause*

You're pretty awesome...just thought I'd let you know.  

The_9th_Doctors_Rose
Crew

Doting Sweetheart

12,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Millionaire 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:53 pm
*joins in the applause*

I wish there were more people like you. Unfortunately, most people use the anonymity of the Internet to let their inner jerkass out to play.

I prefer to use my anonymity to vent things I can't IRL, but sometimes I wish I could be myself openly, if only for the benefit of a few of my friends here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 pm
RainbowPop26

Gigi Deveraux

Lol thanks guys. <3  

Her Malevolence

Hardcore Trash

16,475 Points
  • Giving Spooks the Spook 100
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Senpai's Notice 100

Harmonical Melodies

Hallowed Lunatic