Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
Birth control and periods

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BaconAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 pm
So I picked up my birth control pills today, but I can't start them until the first day of my next period. I know that birth control pills can make periods lighter and/or shorter, but does anyone know when it starts?
Basically, I was wondering if taking birth control for the first time ever when my period starts will make that same period shorter, or if it'll take time.

*(I'll be using Lo Loestrin Fe, in case anyone knows about that particular brand)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:25 pm
BaconAngel
So I picked up my birth control pills today, but I can't start them until the first day of my next period. I know that birth control pills can make periods lighter and/or shorter, but does anyone know when it starts?
Basically, I was wondering if taking birth control for the first time ever when my period starts will make that same period shorter, or if it'll take time.

*(I'll be using Lo Loestrin Fe, in case anyone knows about that particular brand)

How many pills in the pack? 21 or 28?  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

BaconAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 pm
Gigi Deveraux
BaconAngel

How many pills in the pack? 21 or 28?

It's a 28 pack. The first 24 are progestin and estrogen, the next 2 are estrogen only and the last 2 are placebo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 pm
BaconAngel
It's a 28 pack. The first 24 are progestin and estrogen, the next 2 are estrogen only and the last 2 are placebo.

Oh. I've only ever used the levonorgestrel/ethynilestradiol (whatever those are cat_sweatdrop heh) and they come in 21 packs.

In any case, once you start, the pills go to work right away. Your next period should be noticeably lighter than the ones before, if not shorter, and you should have a lot less cramping. You might have mid-month spotting, or what I call a sluggish flow (when your period comes it moves so slowly it's brownish instead of red - no need to worry there!).

I do want to remind you that you have to be, well, religious in taking your pills, especially if you're sexually active. If you are, use a backup the first couple of months while you get into the routine.

Does that help or did I miss anything?  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

BaconAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:41 pm
Gigi Deveraux
BaconAngel

Oh. I've only ever used the levonorgestrel/ethynilestradiol (whatever those are cat_sweatdrop heh) and they come in 21 packs.

In any case, once you start, the pills go to work right away. Your next period should be noticeably lighter than the ones before, if not shorter, and you should have a lot less cramping. You might have mid-month spotting, or what I call a sluggish flow (when your period comes it moves so slowly it's brownish instead of red - no need to worry there!).

I do want to remind you that you have to be, well, religious in taking your pills, especially if you're sexually active. If you are, use a backup the first couple of months while you get into the routine.

Does that help or did I miss anything?

No, it helps!
According to the stacks of paper the pills came with, I'll be covered right away as long as I take the pills the FIRST day of my period...I thought that was strangely specific, especially because I couldn't get pregnant then anyway...But, oh well! Birth control will just be another crazy life adventure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:11 pm
BaconAngel
No, it helps!
According to the stacks of paper the pills came with, I'll be covered right away as long as I take the pills the FIRST day of my period...I thought that was strangely specific, especially because I couldn't get pregnant then anyway...But, oh well! Birth control will just be another crazy life adventure.

That's because the first day or so is when your own hormones are at their lowest and the pills fool your ovaries into not releasing an egg in two weeks. Since it's not exact, that's why the backup method, so there's no accidental babies while your body adjusts.

Glad I could help cat_biggrin  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

SailorHoneyMoon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm
BaconAngel

I have loestrin and after using two other different pills this one is my favorite. My period used to last a week now on loestrin it only lasts four days. It makes your flow lighter as well, I mean I used to have to use the super plus absorbency tampons, now I use regulars and lights even on the second and third day which are supposed to be your heaviest. However, you do get cramps, and extremely sleep. I am pms right now and within days of my monthly gift but having a four day period makes it all worth it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 pm
BaconAngel

I am also using Loestrin. I have been on it for about a year and a half now. As far as I can remember the pills changed my period after the first month of taking them. I definitely like this one better than the first birth control I was on. It definitely made my period lighter I went from 7 days of pmsing to only 3-4 days. I am also a lot lighter too.

I hardly cramp and if I do it is only a little.  

Rose Han

BaconAngel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm
Rose Han
BaconAngel

I am also using Loestrin. I have been on it for about a year and a half now. As far as I can remember the pills changed my period after the first month of taking them. I definitely like this one better than the first birth control I was on. It definitely made my period lighter I went from 7 days of pmsing to only 3-4 days. I am also a lot lighter too.

I hardly cramp and if I do it is only a little.

I'm on my second pack now, and my last period was only four days and very, very light bleeding. Of course, the period before that (when I started my first pack) lasted for 3 weeks...Other than that, the only negative thing I've experienced is moodiness. I've had depression for years, and the hormones, even in a small dose, are seriously messing me up. I worry that I may have to choose between birth control and a bipolar disorder...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm
Just curios...
What if you stop taking the birth control?

I prefer having a week of pain rather than taking pills..
I don't know why

Le Honey

Tipsy Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100

BaconAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm
Le Honey
Just curios...

I don't know why

I don't think anything serious happens when you stop taking the pills. Actually, there are inactive pills in most packs and the days you take those are usually the days you have your period. I don't really like ingesting hormones, because I'd rather let my body handle things naturally, but birth control isn't awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:17 pm
Le Honey
Just curios...

I don't know why

If you're not on birth control and sexually active you'd better insist on condoms or have your partner share the cost of whatever method you use.

If it's for hormonal reasons, there's always monthly injections....  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items