Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
Boyfriend with a low self esteem help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

moxie foxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:36 pm
So I've been with my boyfriend for a few months now, and in that time I've found out everything about him. So I don't mind about his past, and I don't mind that he's attempted suicide before and he used to self harm. I can understand why he did that, but he still has emotional scars and he's really got some self esteem issues. He doesn't think that he deserves me and he thinks he's ugly and hates a lot about himself. The way I see it he puts me on a pedestal and looks up at me as though I'm perfect and down on himself. Last night him being depressed upset me too because he brought up the issue of his weight. He's a little underweight and skinny, but I don't care, to me he is beautiful and it hurts that he can't see it, however, he was saying how it was ugly and that brought my self esteem down a bit because I'm underweight. Sometimes you can see my bones and I don't really like my figure, the only parts of me with some meat on them are my legs, cheeks, butt and boobs. I'm not seriously underweight but I have been called anorexic (even though I'm not!) and even a friend once brought it up because she was concerned. I was eating healthily but I just have a fast metabolism, same as him. So I'm quite weight conscious and I've been eating a lot more in the last 2 years and thankfully put on some weight. Sometimes, just the things he says when he's depressed can really bring me down. So last night I just stopped talking to him and he sent me this afterwards:

"i'm sorry for being a self hating jerk last night..........i'm normaly better at hiding my self hate.....not from you but everyone...............but anyway i'm sorry i made you cry..........and if you hate me i understand.....not like it'd be the first time someone left coz i hate myself"

Can someone please help? I just want to make him feel a bit happier about himself. I already have a little bit but I really want him to be happy with himself. Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 am
Hm... I've dealt with self esteem problems in the past. For me, what kind of snapped me out of it was when someone told me that Self loathing is the worst form of Narcissism. All you're doing is focusing on how bad YOU are, how ugly YOU are, how YOU don't deserve something. For me, realizing that made the whole issue sort of implode (in a good way) cause the one thing I never wanted to be was self obsessed, which is all self loathing is. When you don't like anything about yourself the last thing you want to think about is that for not liking yourself you sure do focus on yourself a lot.

Sometimes, trying to make someone feel better isn't going to work, sometimes you have to tell it like it is. Of course, if you think he's suicidal, then now's probably not the best time to tell it like it is sweatdrop but ah... something to think about I guess.  

Alice Kensington

moxie foxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:31 am
Alice Kensington
Hm... I've dealt with self esteem problems in the past. For me, what kind of snapped me out of it was when someone told me that Self loathing is the worst form of Narcissism. All you're doing is focusing on how bad YOU are, how ugly YOU are, how YOU don't deserve something. For me, realizing that made the whole issue sort of implode (in a good way) cause the one thing I never wanted to be was self obsessed, which is all self loathing is. When you don't like anything about yourself the last thing you want to think about is that for not liking yourself you sure do focus on yourself a lot.

Sometimes, trying to make someone feel better isn't going to work, sometimes you have to tell it like it is. Of course, if you think he's suicidal, then now's probably not the best time to tell it like it is sweatdrop but ah... something to think about I guess.

He's not suicidal anymore, thanks for your advice by the way, umm he's told me before that I have helped with his issues a little but still he's not happy with himself completely as you can see.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am
ღ No one said it would be easy.

You should try to give him logical reasons to have better self esteem. Tell him that all the time he spends putting himself down just makes no sense because he could spend that time trying to better himself instead. Or tell him that if all the bad things he says about himself are really true then why do you still love him?

It's such a shame for us to part. ღ

Deep_Throat_Epidemic

Tipsy Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100

Setsunasa

Inquisitive Ally

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 am
Alice Kensington
For me, what kind of snapped me out of it was when someone told me that Self loathing is the worst form of Narcissism. All you're doing is focusing on how bad YOU are, how ugly YOU are, how YOU don't deserve something. For me, realizing that made the whole issue sort of implode (in a good way) cause the one thing I never wanted to be was self obsessed, which is all self loathing is. When you don't like anything about yourself the last thing you want to think about is that for not liking yourself you sure do focus on yourself a lot.

You said that so well, and I 100% agree.

After that, though, perhaps it may help to talk through solutions to building that self esteem again? For instance, take a moment to discuss what he enjoys (or you both enjoy) doing and is good at as well. Focus on the good things and acknowledgement/acceptance of the fact that we can't be perfect at everything may be a healthy habit. We're only human after all :]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:56 am
XxCorrupted AngelxX
ღ No one said it would be easy.

You should try to give him logical reasons to have better self esteem. Tell him that all the time he spends putting himself down just makes no sense because he could spend that time trying to better himself instead. Or tell him that if all the bad things he says about himself are really true then why do you still love him?

It's such a shame for us to part. ღ

I'll try thanks  

moxie foxy

moxie foxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 am
Setsunasa
Alice Kensington
For me, what kind of snapped me out of it was when someone told me that Self loathing is the worst form of Narcissism. All you're doing is focusing on how bad YOU are, how ugly YOU are, how YOU don't deserve something. For me, realizing that made the whole issue sort of implode (in a good way) cause the one thing I never wanted to be was self obsessed, which is all self loathing is. When you don't like anything about yourself the last thing you want to think about is that for not liking yourself you sure do focus on yourself a lot.

You said that so well, and I 100% agree.

After that, though, perhaps it may help to talk through solutions to building that self esteem again? For instance, take a moment to discuss what he enjoys (or you both enjoy) doing and is good at as well. Focus on the good things and acknowledgement/acceptance of the fact that we can't be perfect at everything may be a healthy habit. We're only human after all :]

I'll do this, thank you so much  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff