Welcome to Gaia! ::

All Writers United

Back to Guilds

A place for any and all writers to share their brilliance. 

Tags: writing, literature, fantasy, horror, roleplay 

Reply Book Reviews For Readers
Prey

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Madame Morocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 am
Prey by Michael Crichton

"In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles - micro-robots - has escaped the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive.

It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour.

Every attempt to destroy it has failed.

And we are the prey."

~Prey's plot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:12 am
For those of you who think the author's name is familiar, it is most likely because he wrote Jurassic Park, which is practically a cult classic amongst the movie and book critics. So it's no wonder that the plots almost sound very similar. If you were to trade out the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park and replace them with the nanoparticles from Prey, then you would get the same story line. Except for the fact that the main character is a house-husband (that's right, a house-husband) who was fired from his job as a computer programmer because a company stole his software/program. What is up with that? Not to mention that his wife (whom I believe to be a total beezy throughout the entire storyline) is obviously cheating on him, but he completely refuses to see it and puts it aside! For the moment.

Other than that little problem, the main character gets transported to an isolated laboratory that is dead set on creating these nanoparticles, sets them free, then can't get them to go back into their cage. Or is it a test tube? Either way, the employees over there were definitely being careless.

After reading through several pages that seemed like a lifetime, you will finally reach to the good parts which include a little action and smart thinking. There are quite a few good twists later on as well, but I believe the ending could have definitely gone a little better.

So, on a scale from 1 to 5, I give this....

❤❤❤

It did have a great storyline, but since he basically used it before, it had to be taken down a couple notches. But I would recommend this to those who are big fans of Jurassic Park.

Madame Morocco

Book Reviews For Readers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff