Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

paraffin orchid

Dapper Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:34 pm
User Image
                      Name:Desmun Pterop

Desmodus rotundus- a leaf nosed vampire bat that is native to the americas.
                      Pteropus - a genus of megabat. Includes flying foxes

Blood colour:▇▇▇ #459116

Symbol:User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
                      the alchemical symbol for Iron oxide and bloodstone

Personality:
                      Desmun is a quiet troll that sits comfortably in the alternian deserts. His time is spent with his many books, gadgets and collection of – pretty much – worthless relics or exploring nearby ruins, caves, abandoned buildings etc. to satiate his immense curiosity. This can sometimes be a little bit of a problem, since he doesn’t often hold himself back from something he finds interesting, usually this leads to some troublesome outcomes; awkwardly explaining to a farmer why he took apart a tractors engine or in a dangerous circumstance, coming face to face with some horrible lusus that he happened to accidentally disturb are just a few of his misadventures. However things like this don’t seem to deter him at all, he finds lusus just as fascinating as relics or engines, but also knows that they can be a lot more dangerous so he isn’t as likely to approach them. Des likes to collect different abstract arts and unusual artifacts that are generally found when he's out exploring.

Desmun also takes a very keen interest in his fellow trolls, especially in troll relationships. The caste system is something of a gray area though, He thinks of it as a good way to keep order, but is only interested in it through his interest in troll relationships, since that sometimes greatly influences troll relationships. When he isn't pondering things like this, he can be found pouring over technical manuals or indulging himself by dismantling things he's curious about, but that's only half the fun the other half is building it either as it was or into new greater combinations. Despite these seemingly outgoing traits, He is actually quite an introverted being and comes off as timid or skittish. Part of this is because of where he lives; he’s somewhat secluded from others and doesn’t get out much so he has very little experience with others of his species. The other part is that he has sensitive fight or flight reflex. But all in all he is quite a bit shy.

He knows that being unable to approach and talk to trolls won’t give him the information he needs on troll relationships and being too awkward to explain himself to someone who happens upon his shenanigans, won’t keep him from getting culled. And so he desperately wants to change this part of himself. He wants to go from being a totally shy troll to a troll that could be charming, strong and even feared. To this end he keeps a dream journal, or more a ‘dream to be’ journal, this has an organized list of all his goals and his accomplishments. The detailed outline of his dream self and it’s the home of a small shipping chart –well, okay it’s not so small, it consists of about three pages – this thing is everything to him and is kept in a treasure chest in his room somewhere.

Despite being quite introverted, Desmun is a stubborn creature. If he wants something he will push forward until he gets it or if he deems something interesting, like an engine for example, he won’t leave it alone until he can figure it out. This is another thing that gets him into a bit of trouble, since being bull headed could get one killed. Desmun and batdad are actually pretty close. Despite Batdad's cynical, arrogant and narcissistic nature. They can almost always be found together when they are both in the hive.

Desmun is a shy and soft spoken troll that sits comfortably in the alternian deserts. His time is spent with his many books, gadgets and collection of pretty much worthless relics or exploring nearby ruins, caves, abandoned buildings etc. to satiate his immense curiosity. He collects different abstract arts and unusual artifacts that are generally found when he's out exploring. More often than not he doesn't converse with other trolls and When he does happen to go out to the nearby city, he often avoids contact entirely unless he absolutely has to, this due to being shy and skittish. He doesn't hate his fellow trolls however, as a matter of fact he takes a very keen interest in them, especially in troll relationships. The caste system is something of a gray area though, He thinks of it as a good way to keep order, but is only interested in it through his interest in troll relationships, since that sometimes greatly influences troll relationships. When he isn't pondering things like this, he can be found pouring over technical manuals or indulging himself by dismantling things he's curious about, but that's only half the fun the other half is building it either as it was or into new greater combinations. His main focus is building and if he wasn't so shy he'd probably have some sort of renown as an engineer.

Being shy seriously bums him out, He isn't really one of the kinder trolls at all and he'd like to be able to express himself without shrinking in embarrassment or fear, His wish is to change into a troll that he would be proud of being, this leads him to keeping a dream journal in his hive, where he writes down; dreams, wishes, and even advice for himself. the back of the book is a page where he keeps a shipping chart.
                      the main topic of his dream journal has more stuff about his dream to change than anything else. It has helped him to a point, it helps him gather his thoughts and organize them. It's an important piece in his life because of it's contents, and sometimes he will actually follow up on the advice he's written for himself. Though, so far his biggest accomplishment towards other trolls is being able to keep at least part of a conversation with them, though it's still somewhat hard for him to look another troll in the eye. Des also keeps a creative writing journal, though he doesn't write in it much. Despite all his troubles and shyness, Des can be very stubborn especially where is curiosity is concerned, if he finds something he deems interesting, he usually won't leave it alone until he's figured out everything about it, unless it's other trolls. Then he might fade away or he'll beat around the bush a lot instead of getting to the main point at hand.

Strengths:

Daring - In order to change himself he has become quite daring, almost never backing down from a challenge and often confronting things that scare him. Now his daring can be as extreme as exploring the dark and abandoned crevices that could hold dangers beyond all imagination or as simple as mustering up the courage to talk to his fellow trolls.

Inquisitive - Desmun wants to know everything there is to know, and he makes it a point to gather as much knowledge as possible by taking on things he may have never seen before and experimenting with them until he figures out how it works. This has led to an expansive data bank of useless and useful funfacts. He enjoys a good, healthy challenge but can be a bit obsessive over it. His specialty is in building things, and the more complex the structure - inside or out - the happier he is.

willing to adapt/change - Not saying that he is very adaptable, but he is willing to do it if he needs to. If he finds a flaw in himself or his plans he is willing to change it for the betterment of himself or the thing he's building. This is shown in his want to change from a skittish and quiet troll to a strong, social and charming troll.

Flaws:
                      Skittish: This guy is easily freaked out when in the public of his fellow trolls, though this is somewhat because of the way he was raised. He was raised by a cynical bat who taught him that everything was a danger in one way or another. And other trolls are certainly a danger. But he doesn't have the same view as his Batdad so is only skittish because of his inexperience with other trolls

Overindulgent curiosity - His curiosity does get the best of him at times and leads him into some rather compromising situations. He just can't leave things alone once it's stuck in his head.

Inexperienced - This is the root of all his troubles. Because he was shut off from a lot of the world he is very inexperienced. This leads to him being fascinated with the world and it's treasures and leads to his overindulgent curiosity. This is also why he is a bit skittish. He can't always tell what is dangerous from what is not dangerous, because he never learned the difference.

Weapon: A socket wrench

Appearance:Desmun has messy hair that flips up from the bottom, the top is pretty straight except for two locks of stray hair that stick up, he has wing like tufts on either side of his head and two longer straight strands that go down to his chin. His horns curl to the back, curve up and have three prongs at the end almost like antlers. something like this. He has a pointed tooth that sticks out.
                      He wears a dark gray long sleeve, there is a green bag that acts as his hood and doubles as extra carrying space if he needs it. he wears a pair of cargo pants and his shoes are a simpe black color, made expressly for exploring.

Home: Desert. His hive looks something like an upside down staircase with a bulge at the top. The bulge has an opening and looks like a cavern, Inside the actual structure is rather plain, with a few projects here and there.
                      The inside of his home is meant to be easy to access with enough room to stuff all of his findings and machines.

Lusus: A giant long fanged flying fox. About 7x the size of a normal flying fox.

Batdad is a very social creature, He loves limelight and praise above all else and is obsessive over his appearance. He's almost like a cat in how much he grooms himself. Often times he can come off as very arrogant. Batdad is also quite a cynic.

He does have a soft loving side that barely anyone sees, he does get a bit possessive of the things he loves and so often times keeps them hidden for 'safety'. Which is partially why Desmun is such a recluse, he was never really allowed to get out and meet others at any time, It took him a long time to persuade batdad that he was old enough to explore, though Batdad still almost always has a panic attack when Desmun is on his own.

Power:none to speak of

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 pm
    extra things when needed
quick sketch  

paraffin orchid

Dapper Noob

grayseasons

Tiny Trickster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm coated in tabs right now and I'll try for a crit later buttttt does he have a weapon? He's required to have one so look around and see what fits u v u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm
MEA CRIT TIEM ~~

uwaah shota type... <3

what about other trolls would interest him? it's obvious what he is interested in with things he can take apart; but what about other trolls catches his eye?

you directly conflict yourself when you say he would have a hard time asking direct questions to trolls pertaining to themselves, yet later say he thinks himself boring and would rather talk about his companion. understandable that when he warms up to someone it's different and he is more comfortable, but it still clashes quite a bit.

elaborate more on his dream journal! it seems very relevent to his character, so please do. how does writing in it help him? how does it work? has it shown him any previous success? here you make it sound like he has a truly strong desire to change himself; is there anything else he does aside from writing to do so?

what are desmun's opinions on the caste system?

@ determined - what is his job? this is a litte confusing and needs more elaboration.

@ soft spoken - how is this not a problem to himself? certainly he gets into situations where speaking up could have avoided something sticky.

overall i feel like he needs more negative traits, soft spoken isn't too terrible and you already touch on shy in the personality blurb. lots of repeating; try adding some variety to flesh him out. i suggest looking at an adjective sheet for inspiration!  

melona-pan
Crew

Cute Cultist

paraffin orchid

Dapper Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm
Ahhh, yeah okay I get it. I kind of noticed the repeat myself... kinda but I didn't know how else to phrase it, so I'll fix that
and his dream journal ties into his curiosity with other trolls, really he's curious about everything, building is just his forte. He's curious about troll relationships and attitudes more than anything.I guess I'll figure out a way to reword that.

I guess that wasn't the right way to describe it. what I was trying to go with is, that until he's warmed up to you he's very reserved but once he warms up to a point that you can have a conversation with him without him being too terribly flustered, he's more likely to ask you a ton of questions versus talking about himself. I think I already figured out how to make this work without being self contradictory. So i'll edit that in.

I'll have to go do some brainstorming to come up with some good flaws that evens out.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 pm
some ideas for flaws

since he's a quiet troll, i imagine he'd get pushed around a lot
does he hold grudges? does he resent people for taking advantage of him? maybe he has a malicious streak that he uses to get back against people that have wronged him

basically, troll society is tough. if you don't have the right friends or the ability to shove a spot for yourself, you might just get trampled. think about how he's managed to hold his own so far. you might find something unpleasant in him that he's picked up from living in such a mean world wink  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:28 pm
ok i wrote these down out of order, so they don't really correspond to what's written in your quest in order, sorry!!;;;

1) how exactly was this guy raised that has given him such a shy personality? it doesn't seem to be fear of other trolls, or from being overly cautions, and all you've written for an explanation is a vague bit about how he was raised to be shy. i can't really understand where it's coming from right now?

2) soft-spoken feels like it is just another addition onto shy. i also really can't imagine him using a megaphone, people who are shy usually ..... ....... ......... shy away from attention (couldn't think of another word OTL) so it seems odd that he uses such a LOOK AT MEEEE object in social situations. also soft spoken usually means more of a gentle tone, and being polite and respectful in talking, rather than being really hard to hear.

3) there are a couple of words in the profile that don't need to be capitalized, as they are in the middle of sentences

4) does his adventurous soul and curiosity ever lead him into dangerous or awkward situations? as a wise troll poet once said, curiosity killed the purrbeast. if so, that could be used as a negative trait. if he's down to earth and realistic enough to know when to count his losses and move on, then that could be added into that strength.

5) i'm kind of worried as to how shy you've painted him, merely because it might cripple you in future situations when you want to interact with other users in a big plot! make sure he's not too withdrawn, and that you can give him reasons to get out and meet other trolls

6) i see a lot about him that could be put into strengths and weaknesses, his adventurousness and his willingness to try and fix (and his acknowledging the existence of) his problems could both easily be strengths. as i mentioned above, his stubbornness and curiosity could also end up either on the good or bad list.

7) why does he keep a creative writing journal if he doesn't use it? just my curiosity here :3

i hope that gave you plenty of jumping off points to build more onto him!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 am
Okay, so I added a bit more so that it's a lot less vague.
Ummm, I took out the creative writing thing because that doesn't seem to fit in his day to day schedule at all. And he only keeps the dream journal to keep track of his progress and his shipping chart.

I think that being inexperienced and being raised by a cynical bat who believes that everything is dangerous would lead to Desmun's skittish or shy personality.

so I added inexperienced and overindulgent curiosity to the flaws section.

and added inquisitive and willing to adapt in his strengths.  

paraffin orchid

Dapper Noob

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 am
quite troll > quiet troll
like; > ;
Also > also
,He > ,he

his flaws and strengths are inbalanced! D: you could mash inquisitive and knowledgeable together?

so close!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 am
Made several changes: I changed his symbol, since I think the symble for bloodstone/iron ore might be more appropriate and as far as I saw no one had that symbol?
Made those grammatical changes.
and I wasn't happy with how I worded the relationship Des has with his lusus, so I changed that as well.
I merged inquisitive and knowledgeable together as suggested. I think that's all that was left?

o u o  

paraffin orchid

Dapper Noob

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Application Quests

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games