Welcome to Gaia! ::

All Writers United

Back to Guilds

A place for any and all writers to share their brilliance. 

Tags: writing, literature, fantasy, horror, roleplay 

Reply Story Development/Ideas
Kinda Stuck

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Soranae

4,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:35 am
So I have a story about a half demon/half magical being who is destined to destroy the lord of all demons- her father.

I've already developed the characters that will be assisting her.

I already have most of the settings, minor characters, events, scenes...almost the whole nine yards.

I've been working on this for little over half a year now and all I can write is the first chapter...and it's not even the way I had originally planned it. Don't get me wrong, it's fine...

It's just that I have no idea why I'm stuck if I practically have the entire story laid out in front of me.

Is it because I'm just thinking too hard?  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:45 pm
yes you are thinking to hard.just go with it over thinking or trying to make a perfect story is what will make a story crappy or boring  

-x-ZiggyZombette-x-

Angstbucket Edgelord
Vice Captain

Shadowy Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 pm
Soranae
So I have a story about a half demon/half magical being who is destined to destroy the lord of all demons- her father.

I already have most of the settings, minor characters, events, scenes...almost the whole nine yards.

I've been working on this for little over half a year now and all I can write is the first chapter...and it's not even the way I had originally planned it. Don't get me wrong, it's fine...

It's just that I have no idea why I'm stuck if I practically have the entire story laid out in front of me.

I had the exact same problem! Here's to everyone with a decent plot with a huge break in the middle ;3
Okay, so I just recently read something from a link in this guild called the "Snowflake Method". Here's what you do:
1] Summarise the plot in a sentence no longer than 15 words.
2] Write a short blurb.
3] Draw up character sheets for each main character.
4] Decide on three major incidents in the plot, then write the ending.
5] Draft out a list of "cool phrases, bits and pieces" that you'll incorporate into the story as you go.

[ Last step :: Have confidence, and have fun! Don't be afraid to trash certain sections - I know I always do~ ]  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm
PoppiHollaPuddelz
Soranae

I had the exact same problem! Here's to everyone with a decent plot with a huge break in the middle ;3
Okay, so I just recently read something from a link in this guild called the "Snowflake Method". Here's what you do:
1] Summarise the plot in a sentence no longer than 15 words.
2] Write a short blurb.
3] Draw up character sheets for each main character.
4] Decide on three major incidents in the plot, then write the ending.
5] Draft out a list of "cool phrases, bits and pieces" that you'll incorporate into the story as you go.

[ Last step :: Have confidence, and have fun! Don't be afraid to trash certain sections - I know I always do~ ]

Thanks smile

I started my character sheets before I got stuck and it was a wonderful idea. My problem is I'm trying to figure out the timing for my story because this other story I'm working on is all messed up with timing and I want to make sure this one actually flows time wise.

I'm also having trouble deciding which events happen when and some of them can honestly be moved around. I'm thinking I should have a goal for each chapter?

Anyways, I really appreciate your advice and I will definitely consider the 15 limit sentences; those would really help!  

Soranae

4,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200

His Majesty Satan
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:23 pm
Well, if I were you, I'd have a goal for each chapter. One thing you need are filler conflicts. They're conflicts that take place and have an affect on the story, but are not nearly as significant as the climactic moment. That'd take up space in the book and entertain the reader.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 am
I agree. In fact, you may want to take it a step further, and set a goal for every scene. If nothing happens in a scene that contributes to the plot (or character development, alternately), it's not worth keeping. Or so I've been told.

Everyone gets stuck in those ruts. At least, I did. For a while. It may not work for you, but all I did was write snippets of EVERYTHING my characters did. Granted, it's no instant solution, but at the very least you'll be writing. ^^
I'm sure you'll get out of this rut and into writing the novel soon. Best of luck!  

Laeriel Rhuilea

Story Development/Ideas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff