Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Best Alice Party on Earth? Celebrations Discussions Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where would you spend all of your time at this party?
  I would OWN that jam tart eating record attempt!
  Photosphotosphotosphotosphotosphotos...
  Partying down at the Mad Hatter's tea party, of course!
  Enjoying the dramatic interpretations of the books being enacted.
  Patroling with my falcon on my fist, ever wary for the beady-eyed seagull with glutinous intent...
  Hugging Miss Alice. <3
  BEING Miss Alice! Age/hometown/rules be damned!
  Sleeping, seeing as the only way I'd ever be in Wales is in my dreams. T^T
View Results

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm
The title of this thread is an opinion and, to make it even more insignificant, it is only my opinion. But if the celebration of Alice in Wonderland in Llandudno, Wales isn't the best, it's arguably the most enthusiastic.

First, why Llandudno matters; it is a town tied to Alice Liddell, who, as you all know, is deeply entwined in the mythos of Alice in Wonderland and Carrol/Dodgson. It was the town in which Alice Liddell's family had a summer home, which was frequented by Dodgson. As a result, this little town celebrates not only young Miss Liddell, but Mr. Dodgson himself and the world that he created around her.

Now, this posting is a little late --the celebrations seem to have been underway May 4th, Alice Liddell's 160th birthday, and the 5th, from what I can tell-- but it still looks like it was incredibly interesting. I'm under the impression that this guild should have been invited to the celebrations, but whatever.

First I have this article from a local paper in Wales detailing the celebration in Llandudno. It includes some of the events that they had planned... my favorite is an aside that, to keep the tarts from being stolen by brazen seagulls, they were going to make sure to have birds of prey on scene. Wales, I think I might love you.

One of the landmark events during this celebration seems to be the Miss Alice competition, in which a young girl is chosen to be 'Miss Alice' for a year. It looks like it would be really adorable, and judging depends on one's knowledge of the Alice in Wonderland books, presentation and --of course-- appearance. The linked article includes an interview with what I believe was this year's Miss. Alice...

Anyway, check out the articles. It seems like a whole lot of people having a whooooole lot of fun.

So, what do you think, guild? Are you enraged that your invitation got lost in the mail? Have you ever heard/been to one of these celebrations before? Do you have a better idea of how to choose an appropriate Miss Alice? Is there anything they left out of the celebrations that you'd add if you were in charge? Do you think Alice Liddell/Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed seeing such celebrations in their names?

Let's talk about this, people! XD

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 pm
Lady March Hare
The title of this thread is an opinion and, to make it even more insignificant, it is only my opinion. But if the celebration of Alice in Wonderland in Llandudno, Wales isn't the best, it's arguably the most enthusiastic.

First, why Llandudno matters; it is a town tied to Alice Liddell, who, as you all know, is deeply entwined in the mythos of Alice in Wonderland and Carrol/Dodgson. It was the town in which Alice Liddell's family had a summer home, which was frequented by Dodgson. As a result, this little town celebrates not only young Miss Liddell, but Mr. Dodgson himself and the world that he created around her.

Now, this posting is a little late --the celebrations seem to have been underway May 4th, Alice Liddell's 160th birthday, and the 5th, from what I can tell-- but it still looks like it was incredibly interesting. I'm under the impression that this guild should have been invited to the celebrations, but whatever.

First I have this article from a local paper in Wales detailing the celebration in Llandudno. It includes some of the events that they had planned... my favorite is an aside that, to keep the tarts from being stolen by brazen seagulls, they were going to make sure to have birds of prey on scene. Wales, I think I might love you.

One of the landmark events during this celebration seems to be the Miss Alice competition, in which a young girl is chosen to be 'Miss Alice' for a year. It looks like it would be really adorable, and judging depends on one's knowledge of the Alice in Wonderland books, presentation and --of course-- appearance. The linked article includes an interview with what I believe was this year's Miss. Alice...

Anyway, check out the articles. It seems like a whole lot of people having a whooooole lot of fun.

So, what do you think, guild? Are you enraged that your invitation got lost in the mail? Have you ever heard/been to one of these celebrations before? Do you have a better idea of how to choose an appropriate Miss Alice? Is there anything they left out of the celebrations that you'd add if you were in charge? Do you think Alice Liddell/Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed seeing such celebrations in their names?

Let's talk about this, people! XD

Wow! I wish I could attend I have family in the UK I will have to see how far it is away from where they live maybe I can go visit them and use it as an excuse to go LOL does that make me bad xd  

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
Wow! I wish I could attend I have family in the UK I will have to see how far it is away from where they live maybe I can go visit them and use it as an excuse to go LOL does that make me bad xd

Oooh... that would be an awesome set up, if you could hop from a family visit to catch next year's Aliceaganza! XD It doesn't make you bad at all. *would use her family for a Klondike bar* We're happy users... it's the love. XD But it would be a great opportunity... you should look into it! And give us insider info, bwahaha. XD

It seems like it would be a really fun thing to go do in person... I'd love seeing all of those little kids running around in costumes!! >3<

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am
Lady March Hare
Victoria Whitechapel

Oooh... that would be an awesome set up, if you could hop from a family visit to catch next year's Aliceaganza! XD It doesn't make you bad at all. *would use her family for a Klondike bar* We're happy users... it's the love. XD But it would be a great opportunity... you should look into it! And give us insider info, bwahaha. XD

It seems like it would be a really fun thing to go do in person... I'd love seeing all of those little kids running around in costumes!! >3<

I would love that xd it would be so fun I am going to find out and keep my fingers crossed.  

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
I would love that xd it would be so fun I am going to find out and keep my fingers crossed.

Haha, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:31 pm
I'll never be able to go. emo  

v-Vox

Green Star

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:18 pm
v-Vox

I feel your pain; the likelihood of me ever getting over there is pretty bad too. >_> I feel as if this celebration should be a little more wide-spread! >_> XD  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 am
Lady March Hare
v-Vox

I feel your pain; the likelihood of me ever getting over there is pretty bad too. >_> I feel as if this celebration should be a little more wide-spread! >_> XD

Where do you live? If you're in Canada, there's an Alice festival in Vancouver. emotion_yatta
If you live in the US, like me, then I don't know of any held. It would be so much fun, though. D;

Edit: Nevermind, I think that festival's gone now. emotion_donotwant  

v-Vox

Green Star

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 am
v-Vox
Where do you live? If you're in Canada, there's an Alice festival in Vancouver. emotion_yatta
If you live in the US, like me, then I don't know of any held. It would be so much fun, though. D;

Nope, I'm in the US as well. In Florida, the almost single furthest point from Canada in general. *weeps quietly*

Aw, that's sad... but it's interesting that they have a festival there too! Do you know the days/what it entails?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:51 am
Lady March Hare
v-Vox

Nope, I'm in the US as well. In Florida, the almost single furthest point from Canada in general. *weeps quietly*

Aw, that's sad... but it's interesting that they have a festival there too! Do you know the days/what it entails?

The site is still up, though the last one held was in 2009 (I believe they stopped due to a lack of funds--they might one day hold it again). But, basically: costumes, acting, music, games, crafts, and just overall merriment. emotion_awesome

Here's footage from it (not very great quality, though):
link

And I thought I was far from Canada. Wow. x'D
//only in PA

We US fans need to get together and hold one. emotion_dowant  

v-Vox

Green Star

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm
v-Vox
The site is still up, though the last one held was in 2009 (I believe they stopped due to a lack of funds--they might one day hold it again). But, basically: costumes, acting, music, games, crafts, and just overall merriment. emotion_awesome

link

//only in PA

Oh, wow... this looks like it was so cool! Thanks for sharing the links; mind if I add this to the OP? We can expand the thread a little to just talk about Alice-related celebrations in general that way! XD

Agh, yeah... frickin' Florida. *shanks it*

Yes! I'm actually surprised there isn't some sort of celebration of some sort in America... I mean, especially since there was that interest surge after the release of the Burton movie.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:51 pm
Lady March Hare

Oh, wow... this looks like it was so cool! Thanks for sharing the links; mind if I add this to the OP? We can expand the thread a little to just talk about Alice-related celebrations in general that way! XD

Yes! I'm actually surprised there isn't some sort of celebration of some sort in America... I mean, especially since there was that interest surge after the release of the Burton movie.

Doesn't it, though? I wish I could've gone. emo
Go ahead. xD

So am I, but I guess the movie didn't boost AAiW/TtLG's popularity for long enough. emotion_8c  

v-Vox

Green Star

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:41 pm
Lady March Hare
v-Vox

link

//only in PA

I grew up in Georgia and I am moving back there this weekend actually xd I wonder if there are any Alice related events there Atlanta is huge and they are always having cons and other things there I will look in to it and let you know if I find out anything cat_mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 pm
v-Vox
Doesn't it, though? I wish I could've gone. emo
Go ahead. xD

So am I, but I guess the movie didn't boost AAiW/TtLG's popularity for long enough. emotion_8c

Me tooooooo! Okay, thank so much; I looove having things to expand the conversations with! >3< Maybe I'll make it my mission in this thread to hunt down all of the Alice Festivals. All of them.

Agh... I guess not. Which is a little sad... but oh well. I'd still think it would be a pretty monumental bit of pop culture that somewhere in America there would be a Festival for it. ...optimism! XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:51 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
I grew up in Georgia and I am moving back there this weekend actually xd I wonder if there are any Alice related events there Atlanta is huge and they are always having cons and other things there I will look in to it and let you know if I find out anything cat_mrgreen

Oooh, I see. I'm not sure... I've never heard of any, but that doesn't mean anything. XD You should check and see! That would be wonderful if you could ferret one out. XD Thanks, and good luck! I hope you find one!  
All In the Golden Afternoon

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff