Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Hands

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Somber Daze

Wheezing Ladykiller

9,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 am
.n . My hand drawing is, well lets just say it needs work.
Have any tips or techniques on drawing hands?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 am
Hands are hard.

I suggest to draw hands without looking at the paper.

Let me explain:

Get some paper and a pencil. Put them on a flat surface and ready to draw. Before drawing, look at your hand and turn your body away from the paper. Face the opposite direction. Now, with your free hand, draw what you see with your hand. Don't worry if it looks like sh!t. It's meant to. Keep doing this, and slowly progress from your normal hand, to it being closed, holding objects, etc.

When doing this, you will also want to not release the pencil from the paper. No sketching. Sketching will only result in little knowledge. Only lift your pencil up from the paper if necessary.

After a while of drawing this, go from never looking at your paper to only looking at it 10% of the time. And when you do, don't think 'oh, I'm drawing a hand' think 'I'm drawing lines'. Don't sketch this time either. Just lines. This will train your brain into working with only the right side, the creative, artistic side. The reason why we're so bad at drawing is because we use the left side of the brain, the logical side. This isn't helpful when it comes to creating art.

Now, another thing is negative space. This is when you draw the spaces around an object, not drawing the object itself.

http://www.electricscotland.com/art/space.jpg

This is a very good picture that represents negative space and what it is. This picture is in my Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain college textbook. See all of the black? Well, the person only drew the outline of the white, instead of drawing the animal slowly by adding details. This will only result in using the left side of the brain, which will put you back to stage 1, which is not a good stage to be when learning how to draw.

If you have any more questions please feel free to either quote this or send me a Private Message.

Just to inform you I am a college student majoring in art. I'm becoming an animator and am learning many different techniques to better my art skills.

Hope this all has helped.

~Chi  

ChioroKisa

Somber Daze

Wheezing Ladykiller

9,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:20 am
ChioroKisa
Hands are hard.

Let me explain:

Get some paper and a pencil. Put them on a flat surface and ready to draw. Before drawing, look at your hand and turn your body away from the paper. Face the opposite direction. Now, with your free hand, draw what you see with your hand. Don't worry if it looks like sh!t. It's meant to. Keep doing this, and slowly progress from your normal hand, to it being closed, holding objects, etc.

When doing this, you will also want to not release the pencil from the paper. No sketching. Sketching will only result in little knowledge. Only lift your pencil up from the paper if necessary.

After a while of drawing this, go from never looking at your paper to only looking at it 10% of the time. And when you do, don't think 'oh, I'm drawing a hand' think 'I'm drawing lines'. Don't sketch this time either. Just lines. This will train your brain into working with only the right side, the creative, artistic side. The reason why we're so bad at drawing is because we use the left side of the brain, the logical side. This isn't helpful when it comes to creating art.

Now, another thing is negative space. This is when you draw the spaces around an object, not drawing the object itself.

This is a very good picture that represents negative space and what it is. This picture is in my Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain college textbook. See all of the black? Well, the person only drew the outline of the white, instead of drawing the animal slowly by adding details. This will only result in using the left side of the brain, which will put you back to stage 1, which is not a good stage to be when learning how to draw.

If you have any more questions please feel free to either quote this or send me a Private Message.

Just to inform you I am a college student majoring in art. I'm becoming an animator and am learning many different techniques to better my art skills.

~Chi

You are an amazing person
Thank you so much, I'm sure this will help me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:10 am
Darky1235
ChioroKisa
Hands are hard.

Let me explain:

~Chi

You are an amazing person
Thank you so much, I'm sure this will help me.

Thank you c: I hope it will.  

ChioroKisa

G.L.U.E.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:19 am
draw 50 of your hands in different poses every two weeks keep an eye for proportions and line of actions  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:44 pm
I sketch hands out of my how to draw books, it helps me get more practice in and getting practice in different hadn positions. I also figured out a way to draw closed fists and hands out spread like those on female gaia avatars in a doodle like style, I could send a mini drawing tutorial to you but I bet your art is way better than mine. xD  

Dot Candy

Generous Sex Symbol

6,450 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100

suri bee

Devoted Mage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:46 am
If you're still interested in looking for a hand tutorial my friend put together an awesome one for our club Animation Student Collective. Here's a link to it in her blog. She also has a good one for feet in a later post in March I think.  
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games