Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
Tattoos and discrimination.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelfromdown-under
Crew

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:40 am
So a couple of the nightclubs near me have decided to adopt a no visible tattoo rule recently...in such a way that if you have a visible tat they will refuse you entry no matter how sober you are.

They claim that it is stopping problems arising inside and cutting the number of bikie related incident.

They way i see it they equate anyone that has a tattoo as automatically affiliated with bikies, is always angry and apparently just in looking for a fight and therefore refuse them entry.

This is blatant discrimination at it's finest.

Owners claim it is their right to enforce a dress-code...yes it is, however, we can change the way we dress...we can't change the way we look.
If they were refusing entry based on Gender, colour or sexual orientation there would be a huge backlash and lawsuits and all sorts.

So why is it considered "ok" to discriminate against people with visible tattoos? Are they less of people because they chose to express their individuality with ink in the form of tattoos... Some are to highlight a special moment in their lives such as a new born or death of a loved one... others are spiritual and express their heritage and yet they are refused to be allowed to enjoy themselves because of this.

Opinions?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 pm
Don't you just love people who stereotype. I have a tattoo, but I have it on my shoulder so it can't be seen at work. On nights out and days off, however, I show it off with unashamed pleasure. If clubs did that in my area, the uproar would be instantaneous. I'm even getting another tattoo, when I have the money, to commemorate moving in with my man.  

Racheal Shanks

5,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

skittlemaster42

Wealthy Tycoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 pm
As far as I know, according to law you can kick anyone out (or not permit them entrance) for any reason you see fit, so long as it is private property. Of course, discrimination against race is generally frowned upon and bad things follow, but they are perfectly within their rights to limit entrance to whoever they want.

My old workplace used to kick people out because they smelled bad...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 pm
Ah ha angel I was going to start a thread discussing whether people felt it was appropriate for employers to employ people based on visible tattos but this holds to the same principle so I'll ixnay that one.

I do not agree with that establishment's ruling at all. I can get behind the fact that a club (or any other business really) should have the ability to refuse entry or remove patrons at their discretion but that should be done on a case by case basis.

RabidKitten
Crew

Friendly Cat

systematic_individual

Liberal Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 am
I doubt that a lawsuit would make a difference. Race, gender, and sexuality are not personal choice, getting a tattoo is.
Being a moderately tattooed individual I would love to be able to go place without people staring, touching, or speaking down to me. However, I knew these were possibilities when I got my tattoos. It would be great if discrimination did not happen but, it does. That is why any respectable tattoo artist will question or refuse to do a tattoo in a visible area if that person isn't already heavily tattooed. It baffles me that 18 year olds are getting their knuckles and faces tattooed.

I guess the lesson is if you don't want to be discriminated against don't make choices that go against societies norms.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:45 pm
in my country there still people who discriminate.
So, don't come to visit Mexico. Mexico sucks in all the ways. Spend your vacations in other countries.  

Metamorfosis Mental

Lonely Lunatic

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Cheercrusher 50

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:06 pm
stereotypes...my summer job has a rule that tattoos have to either be covered or in good taste, but it's a family park, which might make all the difference...
but stereotypes are stupid.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm
I have a little brother who wants to be a brain surgeon and he thought about getting tattoos and piercings to express individuality, but decided against it because it would look unprofessional in the work place. I have no tattoos or piercings whatsoever so, personally, I find people who have them to be intimidating at first glance. I'm sure that not all people who have tattoos behave poorly and are actually swell people if you get to know them.  

Spicy Camel
Crew

- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces