Welcome to Gaia! ::

All Writers United

Back to Guilds

A place for any and all writers to share their brilliance. 

Tags: writing, literature, fantasy, horror, roleplay 

Reply Story Development/Ideas
Frozen Memories {Hook}

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prinnn

Anxious Dabbler

8,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm
This is just the hook to something I am currently workking on. I wanna know what you think. Did it hook you? Or was it a miss?

He had to get away. This wasn't a matter of life or death, this was a matter of death. There was no spectrum of surviving. Dogs howled behind him and he knew he was short of time. Every part of his was numb with the chilly hands of the snow. He breathed in heavily as a man in the background called out. He stumbled momentarily over his other foot. He paused for a moment tightning his grip on his shoulders. He looked around before he saw a lake. It was frozen and if he was lucky and daring enough he could make it across. The voices sounded in the background as he ran to the lake.
"He's getting away! Get him you idiots!" One guy screamed to his companions. The dogs howled, begging to be let of their leash. That means they want me alive... why? He continued to run faster than before. He was getting close to the lake. Freedom was new breath on his lips and he was so close to it. His foot met the ice and there was a light crack. Nothing too serious. He continued on the lake as the men continued to get close but stopped on the bed. Not daring to get closer. He smiled. He was actually getting away.
Then the ice cracked and everything became colder than the snow...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 pm
Quote:
He had to get away. This wasn't a matter of life or death, this was a matter of death. There was no hope of surviving. Dogs howled behind him and he knew he was short on time. Every part of him was numb with the chilly sting of the snow. He breathed in heavily as a man behind him called out. He stumbled momentarily over his feet. He paused for a moment tightening his grip on his shoulders for warmth. He looked before him spotting a lake. It was frozen and if he was lucky and daring enough he could make it across. The voices sounded in the background as he ran to the lake.
"He's getting away! Get him you idiots!" a gruff voice screamed to his companions. The dogs howled, begging to be let off their leash. That means they want me alive... why? He continued to run faster than before. He was getting close to the lake. Freedom was new breath on his lips and he was so close to it. His foot met the ice and there was a light crack. Nothing too serious. He continued on the lake as the men continued to get close but stopped on the bed, not daring to get closer. He smiled. He was actually getting away.
Then the ice cracked and everything became colder than snow...

It's interesting. I'd like to know why they're chasing him and I would be interested to read more, but constructively I think you should watch over pronoun-ing and your 'be' verbs are a bit heavy. I put the light corrections (spelling and the like) in red and outright changes to improve flow in blue. Pleasedon'thateme.  

nekokristiaan

3,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Story Development/Ideas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items