Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Highly effective paint stripping solution!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 am
After a tip from Mac, I tried a new cleaning solution to strip paint off models, as I have quite a list of new models (and older models) that need paint stripped off them.

The cleaner is called "LA's Totally Awesome," and is available at Dollar Tree and other larger dollar stores at VERY low cost. Basically submerge your models in a plastic container of some sort for 6-12 hours. For some of them, paint started to flake off in big chunks after less than an hour. Once they've been soaking for a few hours, take a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush the paint off the model. In most cases, it'll come right off, but if it doesn't, just let it soak for longer.

The best part (in my opinion) is that it seems to work on all kinds of paint. The GW brand, Testor's oil-based paints, enamel and acrylic. The oil-based paints take longer to come off, but it DOES come off. It does NOT dissolve/melt/deform plastic models, though I haven't tried resin models yet.

The only downside is that it will also dissolve some superglue. However you can use that to your advantage, if you are trying to salvage components or re-do a botched glue-job without breaking a delicate piece.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm
A note, best to use rubber gloves when scrubbing these models off. When it's in extended contact with your skin, it results in a lot of flaking skin, possibly killing off the top layer.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:57 pm
Wow, sometimes the cheapest solutions are the best.

By the way, while you're at the Dollar Tree to get a bottle of this, I'm sure you could pick up a pair of rubber gloves as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:13 pm
notmuch_23
Wow, sometimes the cheapest solutions are the best.

By the way, while you're at the Dollar Tree to get a bottle of this, I'm sure you could pick up a pair of rubber gloves as well.
Yup, I got some long, textured rubber gloves at the dollar store, as well as a plastic bin for the dunking. I've stripped about 20 pewter models and 4 plastic Jetbikes so far on the same batch of cleaner.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

billsabob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:11 pm
Wow, we use this stuff at work to clean our floors, never thought it could be used like this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 pm
billsabob
Wow, we use this stuff at work to clean our floors, never thought it could be used like this.
It's worked great on everything I've tried so far. 3nodding I'm being able to recover all kinds of models I thought would be ruined by re-priming and starting over.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers