Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Top Fantasy books! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sister_Grim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Name your top 5 or 10 fantasy books that you think everyone should read....please do not include HARRY POTTER....everyone knows about those.

1. The Claidi Journals (wolf tower, wolf star, wolf queen)
2. Artemis Fowl Series
3. Crown Duel
4. Hollow Kingdom Trilogy
5. Eargorn, Eldest  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:46 pm
Top five, lessee....

1.) Crown Duel, Sherwood Smith
2.) The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher
3.) The Women of the Otherworld, Kelley Armstrong
4.) Green Rider, Kristen Britain (though maybe not, since the sequel sucks)
5.) Fire Bringer or The Sight, David Clement-Davies

Have to have a depressing one in there somewhere, to balance out the happy endings. n.n After those, all of Tamora Pierce's books.

I say, don't include Lord of the Rings, either. n.n" It's even more popular than Harry Potter.  

NightIntent
Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:24 pm
In no particular order:

1) C. J. Cherryh's Fortress series. (and everything else she wrote, but I'm counting on these getting you hooked)
2) Robin Mckinley's Beauty (see above parentheses)
3) Patricia Mckillip's Tower in Stony Wood (ditto).
4) Alan Garner's Elidor (ditto, but change pronou)
5) Pamela Dean's Tam Lin (ditto).

Do I really have to stop at five?

Oh, and I am not mentioning the Lord of the Rings. Even though I think everyone should read it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:09 pm
Oh gosh, it's like picking my favorite child or something...but here's the ones I've read the most:

1) heart Beauty and also Rose Daughter heart by Robin McKinley (I can't choose...I've read them both more times than I can count)

2)Protector of the Small books 1-4 by Tamora Pierce (If you were expecting single books think again lol)

3)Sabriel by Garth Nix

4)So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (although I hate the series after book 3...my fiance loves it though...)

5)The Enchanted Forest Chronicles books 1-4 by Patricia Wrede (Yah...it's another series) 4laugh  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:01 pm
FaeDreamer
4)So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (although I hate the series after book 3...my fiance loves it though...)

That series seriously went downhill after a while. Three was the last one I really liked, six was where I started disliking it. A lot. I have seven and barely even started it, even after having it for over a year. But the first three are awesome. I love the second one.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:01 pm
well im a little bit new to the world of fantasy im sorry to say that for a long period all i read were romance novels... sweatdrop but anyway now ive moved on to fantasy so thats that.

1. R.A. Salvatore: *The Sellswords* series...jarlaxle and entreri are so awesome.
2. R.A. Salvatore: *yeah i know same author* The Drizzt Series *absolutely love that series*
3. Elaine Cunningham *SP?* The Daughter of the Drow...the book was ok but because i havent read alot of fantasy books im putting it down xd

dont really have 5 lol...looks like i need to get readin 3nodding  

Renegade Jarlaxle

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 am
Renegade Jarlaxle

3. Elaine Cunningham *SP?* The Daughter of the Drow...the book was ok but because i havent read alot of fantasy books im putting it down xd

I really liked Liriel as a character & what Cunningham did with the drow as a race. In her books, they were not one-dimensionally evil but reacted as individuals to a culture that is survival-oriented.

I did not like book three in the series, though, or not as much.

Quote:

Well, you've quite a selection to choose from, and you could do worse than start with the items on this list.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:53 pm
1.Pendragon (does that count?)
2. Inkheart
3.His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass, etc.)
4. Narnia series
5. Artemis Fowl

rolleyes  

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Sister_Grim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 pm
Lioness4
2. Inkheart
4. Narnia series
5. Artemis Fowl

rolleyes

EKK I forgot about Inkheart...i finish Inkspell...I wonder what Cornellia Funke has in store in the next book....WHAT ELSE COULD HAPPEN!....  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:19 pm
(in no particularly order)

1. The thousands of books on Shannara
2. The Bartimaeus Trilogy
3. Inkheart & Inkspell
4. The Sight
5. Fire Bringer
6. The Inheritance Trilogy
Everyone should definitely read The Bartimaeus Trilogy! Bartimaeus is AWESOME!!!!  

Lonora

Lioness4

Distinct Raider

10,650 Points
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:49 pm
Sister_Grim
Lioness4
2. Inkheart
4. Narnia series
5. Artemis Fowl

rolleyes

EKK I forgot about Inkheart...i finish Inkspell...I wonder what Cornellia Funke has in store in the next book....WHAT ELSE COULD HAPPEN!....

Ooh. Yeah. I'm on the 10th chapter. I got it not too long ago and haven't had the time to start reading it. redface And I love it. I remembered how much and why I loved Inkheart so much. I thought Inkspell wouldn't be all that great because of Dragonrider. I completely hated that book. talk2hand For some reason.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Bookwyrme
Renegade Jarlaxle

I really liked Liriel as a character & what Cunningham did with the drow as a race. In her books, they were not one-dimensionally evil but reacted as individuals to a culture that is survival-oriented.

Quote:

Well, you've quite a selection to choose from, and you could do worse than start with the items on this list.

Drow arent one-sided evil. They are chaotic and are used to represent the other side of the elves. Light-darkness.
But the survival thing is always represented, they are living in the underdark and have to survive the only way they can, by appeasing their goddess.

1). The Song of Fire and Ice series. By George R. R. Martin...(BEST BOOKS EVER!)
2). Chronicles of Blood and Stone. By Robert Newcomb.
3). The Annotated Legends (RAISTLIN RULES!!!) (Tracy hickman, Margret Weis)
4). The Sellswords. Salvatore.
5). War of the Spider Queen (Various Authors)  

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:48 am
Tiamit
Bookwyrme

Quote:

Drow arent one-sided evil. They are chaotic and are used to represent the other side of the elves. Light-darkness.
But the survival thing is always represented, they are living in the underdark and have to survive the only way they can, by appeasing their goddess.

My admittedly limitted readings before Cunningham focussed on the evil nature of drow, though--any time any drow other than Drizz'd shows up s/he's identified as "evil" right off.

Salvatore is changing that a bit with Jarlaxle & Artemis, who have begun to develop a whole set of desires, interests, and reasons which make them a fun duo to read about--and (IMHO) better characters than Drizz't (whose name I think I'm misspelling).  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:07 pm
Jarlaxle is an.. Interesting character for sure. He is at least 3-dimentional, (I'm a bad spaller), and possibly the only drow who is an optimist. (Excluding Phauren(Drizzt seems to be more of a realist.)
I can't wait for the "Road to the Patriarch"  

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

koorimefiregirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 am
lt's see.
1. The Tales of Mithgar by Denis L. McKiernan
2.The Rapsody series
3.The Sword of Truth series
4.Illumunation and The Binder's Road by Terry McGary, I think see is going to write a third but I haven't heard of it yet.
5.Crown of Stars by Kate Elliot  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces