EA Games is a _____ company.
  great
  terrible
  MY GAME IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE OF THAT COMPANY
View Results

hornworts

Rare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 pm
So recently while browsing a very in the know fansite for a very complex game (Mod the Sims) they had a thread on non-intuitive things NOT to do in your game.

And apparently the biggest one was to not delete sims, their gravestones, or move sims across neighborhoods.

The problem with not doing those things is this: if you do those things, the game data for some characters in a neighborhood are deleted, and others that have memories/relationships with said deleted sims will contained errored memories and relationships. To put it short, doing those things corrupts your game.

The problem with the problem is that EA implemented the deletion methods (quite clearly) but didn't test the game long term enough to see that sim deletion will eventually make the game unplayable. Even after this came to light EA never put up a notice, warning, and never deleted the methods of sim deletion.

It would be like having a computer that whenever you put something in the trash bin and emptied it your computer would slowly corrupt.

TL;DR: EA is a stupid company that will screw you in the end.

So itt, discuss those moments in games where you have to ask, "Why?" or "WTF?!", from game corrupting to a minor annoyance.

Plus, about the TS2 thing: if you play, did you know? Are you mad now? Etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm
EA is a d**k who went through Sims 1, Sims 2, and Sims 3 without seeming to beta test s**t.

and when I bought a game on Steam, Machinarium or what have you doesn't play all the way through.

It freezes at a point and makes me restart from the beginning.  

Jayce Reinhardt

Divine Muse

MrsrachaelSnape

Invisible Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 pm
That's because they laid off a lot of their staff. I like the sims but it has too many bugs.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 pm
Jayce Reinhardt
EA is a d**k who went through Sims 1, Sims 2, and Sims 3 without seeming to beta test s**t.

and when I bought a game on Steam, Machinarium or what have you doesn't play all the way through.

have you tried verifying your game cache
sounds to me like something failed to download
right click the game in steam
click properties
and under one of the tabs should be a button that says verify integrity of game cache.  

Teh Savior
Crew

Shameless Sex Symbol

14,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100

Jayce Reinhardt

Divine Muse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 pm
Teh Savior
Jayce Reinhardt

have you tried verifying your game cache
sounds to me like something failed to download
right click the game in steam
click properties
and under one of the tabs should be a button that says verify integrity of game cache.

I will try that but why would every other game on steam work but that one?

*is old and stupid*  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:45 pm
Morrowind.  

floraIwitch

Popular Poster

KaylaGalela

Professional Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:20 pm
User Image
Skyrim! I really like the game, but some of the glitches are frustrating.

I have a quest where I have to retrieve an item from an enemy, but when I go to where he is supposed to be, he's already dead because I killed him earlier on another quest. Naturally, I already took the item before, so he doesn't have it to give me to complete the new quest. What really drives me crazy is that this is a rather common item. I already have 10 of them in my inventory, but can I use any of those? Noooo. It has to come from that one guy who's already dead. gonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm
i like game glitches and game programing a whole lot. it's the best. one of my favorite glitches was one i recently read up on:

when porting ultimate mortal kombat 3 from SNES to Genesis, they removed all the animality move from all characters. EXCEPT, the forgot to remove the move command from Kabal's moveset. so what does the game do when you input the command for a move that has no sprite set, and it has to frantically search the rom for something to do? this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lWdtxW5SZ4

UMK3 for the genesis is also one of the few games that cam make the system LITERALLY BLUE SCREEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pTXZnnkgA

another thing i really dig in games are when programmers leave messages hidden in the games code. example:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quote:
THIS IS A NEW INVENTION I
MADE! I CALL IT
P O P C O R N ! ! !
I HAVE SEEN A VISION. STRANGE
CLOUDS LOOM ON THE HORIZON POCAHONTAS, YOU MUST HELP US
THROUGH A TIME OF DANGER,
AND CHANGE. YOUR PATH WILL BE DIFFICULT, BUT
ALL AROUND YOU ARE ANIMAL SPIRITS. SEEK THEM OUT,
AND LET THEM GUIDE YOU

I heard you farting, HMy life will
never be the same again, PI heard you farting,
XSing AnDybDahl!

�Optimize the engine
so that the game doesn't chunk up
every single time pocahontas jumps

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:59 pm
I don't remember having any huge glitches with the Sims 2 and I used tons of mods and deleting things, so can't relate to that situation. sweatdrop But I will say Spores pissed me off, all the hype and not even close to what it promised. Plus Stream?! What the hell. Already installed it in 2 computers (old one and new one) what happens in a few years when I need to get a new computer and want to play it. Such a horrible creation that Stream is! Trust me EA no one whats to pirate that shitty Spore game but its the principle!

But currently playing Skyrim.
Oh there are so many annoying glitches.
1. There is a dragon that is dead in Whiterun, it moves though out the town *deal flopping* and if I save./autosave in that town the game crashes. Ever single time! So annoying!

2. I have a quest that I killed someone, but need to get a item from in another quest. Bull s**t.

3. Almost like #2, I need to turn a quest put the person is dead. I think a dragon must have got them when I was not paying attention.

Now that would be fine if you could delete quest, but no. They will be there mocking me forever.

4. Vampire! First time I became a vamp I really did not know it was a huge issue, until the villages started to attack me. To cure Vampire-ism first you need to talk to a certain villager but you can't cause they attack you. WTF!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 pm
Shiver`

4. Vampire! First time I became a vamp I really did not know it was a huge issue, until the villages started to attack me. To cure Vampire-ism first you need to talk to a certain villager but you can't cause they attack you. WTF!

What 'stage' of vampire are you? Because if you're like..a high stage one (if you didnt feed for a couple days) people attack you.

Try sneaking into a house and feeding on a sleeping person to reset you vampirism "stage" to 1 to get people off your back.  

The Undead Suitor

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 pm
Skyrim bugs annoy me... burning_eyes

An MMO I play a lot (League of Legends) is based around playing a character you choose that has 4 skills (it's basically DOTA if you've played that).
Well, after making 91 different champions, some are bound to majorly suck in their roles with comparison to others...but yet they never get buffed. It's really annoying.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:40 pm
Yeah, that's been known for TS2 for ages and there hasn't been an official fix. I think that if you search around, there are probably mods that help patch that up, but it's been awhile since I've been involved with the Sims 2 community. Anyway, not really a glitch so much as questionable intelligence of NPCs, but here's what's happened in Skyrim a few minutes ago.

Oh no, a mangy Dunmer and his magey Imperial comrade have stolen your only lockpick! Do you:

A.) Figure you probably just dropped it or something
B.) Just go to any store and buy a new one
C.) Talk to the guards
D.) Summon the Dark Brotherhood with a sinister arcane ritual involving dismembered body parts

I get that they don't like my kind in Windhelm but really now.

Uncle Haijin

Rainbow Trafficker

Treacherous Hat

Deadly Dark Elf

11,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:55 pm
I think Starfox Adventures was the first game to pull this on me. Whenever I failed a certain (difficult) stage the game would respawn me into this inescapable netherspace under the floor - couldn't access the menus or anything. I never did finish it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:30 pm
It does not surprise me at all that Skyrim has so many bugs considering that one of the prior games in that series, Daggerfall, is hands down the single most bug ridden game I have ever played.

In many ways, Daggerfall was worse than Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in terms of bugs even though the latter had a bug that would uninstall all of your system files [thus windows no longer would function] should you uninstall the game itself.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 am
KaylaGalela
User Image
Skyrim! I really like the game, but some of the glitches are frustrating.

I have a quest where I have to retrieve an item from an enemy, but when I go to where he is supposed to be, he's already dead because I killed him earlier on another quest. Naturally, I already took the item before, so he doesn't have it to give me to complete the new quest. What really drives me crazy is that this is a rather common item. I already have 10 of them in my inventory, but can I use any of those? Noooo. It has to come from that one guy who's already dead. gonk

Have you tried like, giving him the item from your inventory, then taking it back?  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff