Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
Work It: Most Offensive show on television?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hornworts

Rare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 pm
Last week ABC premiered the show Work It, a show about two men who after being unable to find jobs because what they call a "man-cession", dress as women to get jobs at a pharmaceutical company. Although this would obviously not work, and the drag is so bad it's laughable, it pans out anyway, because this is television. Anyway, the men continue this masquerade, and yes, it is the point of this show.

This show is offensive for many reasons: First, to women, in that it makes it seem as if women have it easier than men on account of being, well, women, and being able to attract other men. Of course many women would protest, and "lucky" women still only make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes on average. Second, to transgenders and transsexuals, based on how the entire show makes fun of gender values and men dressing like women. Third, probably to men too, in that the shows premise says that in this economy men would literally have to become less masculine to the point of women to get jobs.

Further information and recaps of the first tow episodes can be found on NYMag here and here.

Discuss:

-Work it
-Does it offend you?
-Television having a weird way with popularity (Work it has gotten over 5 million viewers each per episode).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:46 pm
man-cession omg lol stop
no  

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Charlie Graves

Magnetic Guildsman

10,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm
Not really offensive, so much as just... awful? I think most of the complaining shouldn't be about the controversy, so much as it's just plain bad. xD

The entire storyline's already been done on TV anyhow a while back, and while I've never seen it, from the critical opinions it was at the very least more funny - not sure if more tasteful though.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:53 pm
Well, it is true that pharmaceutical companies hire attractive ditzes as representatives solely to sell more products at conventions.

But this sounds more like a parody sitcom than an actual show.  

The Undead Suitor

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm
charlieslaysvampires
Not really offensive, so much as just... awful? I think most of the complaining shouldn't be about the controversy, so much as it's just plain bad. xD

The entire storyline's already been done on TV anyhow a while back, and while I've never seen it, from the critical opinions it was at the very least more funny - not sure if more tasteful though.

User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Damn you beat me to it!
As soon as I read the premise of the show I thought... Bosom Buddies.

For some reason men in drag is hilarious.
I wanted to find a clip of Bobby Hill (King of the Hill) saying 'Thats funny' in respond to British humor but could not. :C

Anyways never heard of that show at all but it does not offend me at all. At least it show that girls are suppose to be working, instead of 16 and preggors or Snookie which is a standard today.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:12 pm
I haven't seen it yet so I'll probably wait on forming an opinion. I've been around drag queens and go to drag shows for fun and the tigers in those cages are pretty fierce. Most of the drag queens I've encountered have very eccentric personalities though, but that could just be the club scene talking.

Most men who enjoy drag are gay though, so if at least one of the two main characters are gay I can accept this duo cool

And as much comedy value as there is in drag culture some of it is pretty rough so if they touch those issues it might be worth it.

add: Well I watched the first 2 episodes and...it really doesn't seem offensive to me. If it's offensive to anyone, it wouldn't be to the LGBT community but to women in general especially with all the female stereotypes they're making fun of. rofl They're more like men stumbling through figuring out how women work than concentrating on the drag aspect. Drag just seems like the venue through which they experience the trials of being "women".
The show doesn't even try to make their drag costume convincing, you can obviously tell there are men underneath. Their makeup is horrendous and it's more like kids playing at being drag than someone wearing drag seriously. I guess that means they won't show the ugly side of drag (e.g. discrimination) but oh well, it's a comedy anyway.
I wonder if they will try to get the characters to do the cleavage trick some time down the line in the show. That would be interesting to see on national TV pirate  

Voat

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dickie Twinkles

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:56 am
Less "offensive" and more just...stupid. I tend not to get offended over really crap tv shows, if this was in any way serious then maybe it'd be offensive but then people can get offended over anything.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:34 am
Only offensive if you TAKE offense.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

The Prince Soubi

Fashionable Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:30 pm
Charlie Graves

OH DAT SILLY TOM HANKS.

rofl it has gotten 5 mil viewers? I thought it would be pulled after like
    a week or so. Seems like television is just wtf nowadays. That's why
    I watch History 2 and smart s**t. cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm
No, it's because most doctors, especially those with private practices, are men.

What they do is they go to these private practices and tell them that if they sell their drugs, then they will get a percentage.

Men are more likely to not think about money or ethics when the idea of sex is in their mind. Women on the other hand have the exact opposite reaction, becoming more economically and ethically prudent when the idea of sex is broached.

So the women come, tell them to trade away their ethics. They nod their heads. Then they come with their pitifully small bribery checks, and they again nod their head.

They also do the same things with cigarette venders. They're all attractive women, though younger, in their early to mid 20's instead of mid 30's to mid 40's for the pharm reps.  

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50

Mother Gothel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm not offended, because the sheer ridiculousness of the whole show makes it obvious it's not intended to be taken seriously. They don't even cover up the men's 5 o'clock shadows for crying out loud... rofl I think people just like watching men clumsily attempt to be women, I have to admit it brings a smirk to my face even talking about it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:42 am
http://www.glaad.org/blog/abc-cancels-work-it-after-two-episodes

cackles softly  

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50

MrsrachaelSnape

Invisible Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:27 am
Not offended just found it stupid.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm
The show should have been offensive to anyone who's a human being.

From what I've heard, it's too bad to be offensive. Or it was. *applauds ABC for putting it out of its misery*  

Phoenix Goliathane

Vicious Brawler

19,975 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
Come Back Mero <33

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items