Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pengaana

Slumbering Tengu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:19 pm
Hey wait no this isn't about Homestuck

So this week me, my sister, and my dad all decided to start exercising since being a U of M student gives us free rec center privileges and all that. We go Mondays and Wednesdays and I think they're going Fridays too but I'll pass there.

Anyway I decided to alternate between swimming and some of the other activities so Monday I went swimming for about 30 minutes. Today I went in did some cycling and this machine where you move your arms in a circular motion. Then I saw it: the StairMaster. I was both afraid and curious and went "hey why not?"

3 minutes in: "I'm going to die" emotion_0A0

I haven't exercised in a good few years though so this is good for me. Not to mention I need to lose some weight but man do I get tired. Not to mention when we got out we kept having to go up more flights of stairs just to get back to the truck. ******** stairs!

How bout you guys? Does anybody else exercise around here?
Tips? Tricks? Motivation? ;w;

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm
>_> now I feel bad for saying I'm out of shape for only running 3 miles in a half an hour to 45mins.

EXERCISE IS AMAZING. Working my schedule out so I can take advantage of the school's fitness center. I like the elliptical for staying in place jogging. It's great for going on autopilot and speculating things. For me, exercise is therapy for my PTSD and a way to explore my imagination when I'm stuck on a drawing or homework.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I run 3 times a week, and go to the gym the 3 days a week. Sunday I rest.

Tuesday - I take a pilates class for a hour. The teacher is insanely flexible. Got to be in her 50's but is so damn limber and thin! O___O

Thursday - I go to "DANCE" its a cardio dance class, so much fun! Most of the people in the class are young teens/adults who have been dancing there whole lives. So I feel so awkward. XD

Saturday - Weights! I go with 2 friends (both males) and we do weights. They are my motivation to doing those. Its like having 2 personal trainers. xd

If I don't run, cause of snow or just really crappy weather then I'm on many of the cardio machines.
The stairs work you out! I love it, after you master that do it backwards! Then switch.

But my favorite machine the elliptical. Been kicking my butt for 5 years now! Its a love hate relationship.

My motivation has to be my friends, thankfully the people who I hang with at work are really into fitness and that keeps me fit. I just go to my dance and yoga class while they are doing hardcore weights that day.

Keep it fun and keep track of your food intake! (My Daily Plate is a great site if you have not been to it)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:01 pm
Slick: I think I'd probably enjoy that too
I like walking in circles from time to time when I listen to music
it helps me think up things for stories and stuff
I'll defiantly have to use one of those come next week

Shiver: Maaaaaan gonk
Though I agree with you, friends can really make or break exercising
I use to swim every day after school with a friend but she stopped showing up
eventually I stopped going too because I'm not a very self-motivated person
Well my mom and me might look into weight watchers this year
I hope we actually do something this year, I really need to lose weight

Pengaana

Slumbering Tengu

Ridley Starsmore

Angelic Nitemare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 pm
Shiver`
User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I run 3 times a week, and go to the gym the 3 days a week. Sunday I rest.

Tuesday - I take a pilates class for a hour. The teacher is insanely flexible. Got to be in her 50's but is so damn limber and thin! O___O

Thursday - I go to "DANCE" its a cardio dance class, so much fun! Most of the people in the class are young teens/adults who have been dancing there whole lives. So I feel so awkward. XD

Saturday - Weights! I go with 2 friends (both males) and we do weights. They are my motivation to doing those. Its like having 2 personal trainers. xd

If I don't run, cause of snow or just really crappy weather then I'm on many of the cardio machines.
The stairs work you out! I love it, after you master that do it backwards! Then switch.

But my favorite machine the elliptical. Been kicking my butt for 5 years now! Its a love hate relationship.

My motivation has to be my friends, thankfully the people who I hang with at work are really into fitness and that keeps me fit. I just go to my dance and yoga class while they are doing hardcore weights that day.

Keep it fun and keep track of your food intake! (My Daily Plate is a great site if you have not been to it)

Pssst...your 'military' is showing.-lol- Mine used to too.

Then I took an arrow to the knee.

I'm trying to slowly get back into some sort of shape. running 3 days a week for now. Doing this 'couch to 5k' thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
"Ah, my old enemy. Stairs."

Death Pop

Fashionable Shapeshifter

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Charlie Graves

Magnetic Guildsman

10,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm
I just head to the gym and do a few weights/elliptical/treadmill for an hour or so, and planks/this wierd ab roll-y thing/sit-ups/push ups at home. I run on the track when I can, weather provided!

To start getting into the swing of things, here's the most helpful tips that I had when I started:
1. Do it when you say you're going to do it; honestly, half-assing a workout is better than skipping it, because it keeps you in-habit. 3nodding
2. Start small, and gradually work your way up. Slow and steady, and all that.

I love a lot of the cardio machines. Usually after running for a while I either sit and blow of steam, or bring a magazine - sometimes my favorite time because it's the only time I get perfect peace and quiet. emotion_kirakira  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm
Bro I feel you.
I'm trying to get my fitness back.
I was on bedrest for 6 weeks late last year.. and it totally caned me. I got so much muscle wasteage.. I'm trying to get my body back but it's hard ;.;
I am so unfit.

And I want my a** and legs back. Squats everyday plz.  

aliceloatheswonderland

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200

Genea

Crew

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm
It appears you need to climb more stairs.

xD

I am naturally fairly slender, but I walk a few kms every week. I'm looking into buying a vintage cruiser bike because I hate my current mountain one.
My city is one of the major cycling capitals in australia. We have so many of the pro guys around and hold cycling classics, have more cycling shops than actual gyms, etc. xD I'm looking into borrowing my older sister's cycling machine because she doesn't use it any more since she bought the bike of her dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 pm
Winter is my off season for exercise as I have bad arthritis in both of my knees from an injury involving a flight of stairs and me falling. While I will swim laps in my swimming pool, it's outside and unheated thus not at all usable at the moment.

For now, I am just doing squats daily.  

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Tidus Guado

Fearsome Lunatic

20,100 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 pm
I'd rather fight the crowd of PETA members who are trying to capture me and take me back to the ocean every time I go to the pool to swim than go to a gym.

Sorry but I'd rather be doing exercise that is fun, and not tedious.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm
Lol. I've never used that machine at the gym. I might give it a go though.

As previously said, friends really help motivate you.

Hmm..I go running every morning except Sat and Sun at 6qm. Nothing like a run to clear your head before heading to the office. (Plus the dog needs his exercise).

Gym twice a week. Tuesday evenings is body pump, followed by a short cardio. And Thursday evenings is Zumba heart .

Horse-riding on the weekends (You'll be surprised how much of work out this is)

And I make myself do pushups, sit ups and squats most evenings before bed. I suppose the 15 minute walk to and from the train station helps to.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to put a work out during the day is too. I find time a lunch to go for a work. If I have a few hour I'll go bike riding with my brother....although I can't keep up on my heap of junk anymore he got a racing bike emo

I'm trying to put muscle on....but it's not working.  

Voievoda

Shy Warrior

Yeata Zi
Captain

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm
heehee

I am equally poor at exercise  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm
Every weekend I just put on some good music and dance. I dance even if I look like a fool to the neighbors. I've been planning on taking dance lessons again but I'm too lazy and I hate being around ladies who are full of themselves.

Every night I walk with my dogs too.

I don't have problems keeping in shape. In fact I'm very thin. I wish there was an exercise to make me taller though... emotion_awesome  

Ping of Death

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Pengaana

Slumbering Tengu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm
Alice: See at least you have a justified reason
I'm just a lazy person who's also homebody
I've got no motivation and no friends to motivate me

Genea: I think I walked like 12 flights according to the machine