Yes!
  Um, no.
  Huh?
  Gold!
View Results

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:58 am
I've been meaning to make this thread for the better part of a week, now. Heh.

I don't know if he's written any other books, but I've read the wo by him that I've heard of, Fire Bringer and The Sight. They're very good books, though a tad bit depressing. A lot of characters die. But the endings are pretty good. The characters go through interesting evolutions, too, but I won't go into that right now.

Anyone else read his books?

Edit: A couple books by him that I haven't read are The Alchemists of Barbal and The Telling Pool. The Telling Pool sounds interesting, but Amazon doesn't have any reviews or summaries for The Alcehmists of Barbal.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:20 am
I LOVE those books! The Sight in my opinion is the better of the two. Very sad endings though. crying . I'm in the middle of re-reading The Sight.  

Lonora

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 am
Yeha, I've read that one three times, whereas Fire Bringer I've only read like twice. I'm re-reading that one now, which was why I made the thread. n.n I like The Sight better, too, but the plotlines are just really similar. It's a bit annoying. I was expecting something different. They're still good, just... similar.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:20 pm
I've read both Firebringer and The Sight although I personally preferred Fire Bringer(maybe because I read it first).
I wanted to read The Telling Pool also but I couldn't find it the last couple times I was at the bookstore. cry  

Hiitachin Kaoru

Lonora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 pm
I got The Sight first, and borrowed my sister's copy of Fire Bringer. She didn't like it, so now I have her copy. YAY!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm
I read Fire Bringer first. Got it in hardcover, for some odd reason, long, long, long before I ever read The Sight. I waited like three years for The Sight to come out in paperback, because I didn't want it badly enough to get it in hardcover (plus I was short of money a lot of the time). But I still like The Sight better. Though in both, all my favorite characters die. And I end up hating the characters I liked at the beginning. Like Rannoch and Fell. I liked both of them in the beginning, but by the end of the books I hated both of them. I don't even know why, they just annoyed me.  

NightIntent
Captain

Sileny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:42 pm
I've read both Firebringer and the Sight--just finished Firebringer for te second time this morning,actually. I love them, especially the way the author injects a bit of history into the books.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:18 pm
I've been noticing major parallels to Watership Down in Fire Bringer lately. I don't know why I didn't notice before, but they're very aparrent now. The first half of the book reads a lot like Watership Down with deer. And then parts of the book after that, from what I can remember, sort of resemble Tales from Watership Down. Just a few parts, but still. I don't know how I missed it before. So I've been writing down all the things I can find that resemble Watership Down, and then writing what in the other book they resemble. There's quite a few of them.  

NightIntent
Captain

Sileny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:59 am
Yeah. If you want another parallel, try Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. Except this one's about cats.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:20 pm
Has anybody read The Telling Pool? I might buy it but I don't know if it's any good.  

Hiitachin Kaoru

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:51 pm
I didn't even know about it untiul a few days ago. n.n" I'll get it, one of these days. It sounded interesting, in the (fairly short) summary I read.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:02 pm
Lonora
I LOVE those books! The Sight in my opinion is the better of the two. Very sad endings though. crying . I'm in the middle of re-reading The Sight.

I love that book!! i've read it like 10 times, i basically know the whole thing by heart...when i first read it i almost cried...with the wolf...and the lake...and the fortune teller...so sad, crying crying .Anyway, that's a good book. mrgreen  

blonderocker00

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 pm
I loved the Sight. It was so sad. Is it true there will be a sequal to it? I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, even though I did love the book.

I have yet to read Fire Bringer though. I know how similar they are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:59 pm
There's a sequel? This requires looking into, 'cause if there's a sequel to The Sight, I wanna read it.

Well, at his website, all I can figure out is that he has two books that I haven't read. Neither are a sequel to The Sight. Ah-ha! He's currently editing the sequel to The Sight, and it should be published fall 2007. Great, something else to wait for. Oooh, but it's about Fell! I like Fell. Well, okay, I didn't like him by the end, but still. Anyway, yeah. I think I'll get it when it comes out. Sounds interesting, and I just like David Clement-Davies' writing.  

NightIntent
Captain

Kiara_Pyrenei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:58 pm
A sequel to The Sight!? I really HAVE to read it ...I loved the The Sight, and Firebringer, too. I haven't read anything else by him, though... crying  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff