Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Matsuko]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:44 pm
About
In the last guild, several new members of both the guild or the diet have asked what the different types of vegetarianism are. I just thought I'd post this now before repeats start popping up.

NOTE: The following is a list of types of vegetarianism and diets related to vegetarianism. Some people may not think some entries belong here, but this is a resource and I'm trying to make it thorough but at the same time not a drag to read.

One particular issue was how semi-, pollo-, and pesce- tarianism should not really be considered a type of vegetarian diet. Most of these can be transition stages towards lacto-ovo-vegetarianism. Also, depending on a person's beliefs (religion), chicken and fish (and probably many other types of meat), may not be considered meat at all.

Types of Vegetarianism
...feel free to suggest more types of vegetarianism to put on the list...

Freegan:
Will only eat food that has or is about to be thrown away by someone else.
Semi-/Half-/Transitional/Social Vegetarians:
Eat meat, but try not to, or not so often.
Pollotarian:
Eat no meat or fish. They do consume poultry however (also eggs and milk).
Pescetarian:
Eat no meat or poultry. They do consume fish and other seafoods however (also eggs and milk).
Lacto-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume milk and dairy products however.
Ovo-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume eggs however.
Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarians:
Eat no meat, fish, or poultry. They do consume milk and dairy products and eggs however.
Sproutarian:
Eat mostly sprouted seeds, grains, pulses, and rice. They believe in eating all their sprouts and vegetables raw as virtually all the nutrients are lost when heated past 47C.
Beegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal except honey.
Vegans:
Eat nothing that comes from an animal (including milk, dairy products, eggs, honey, etc.)
Fruitarians:
Eat only foods of plant origin that can be obtained without killing the plant (such as fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.)
Macrobiotic:
Mostly vegetarian, but seafood is allowed. In the highest 'level' of Macro, only brown rice is eaten (considered unhealthy). This diet is based on the Chinese principals of yin and yang. It can be followed for a philosophical nature or for health reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm
Go Veaganism!!!!
I' am a level 5 vegan I eat nothing that cast a shadow.....(only drink water) Sorry someone said that to me the p***k!

Cheza [The Flower Maiden]

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:22 pm
I guess in that case I'm a Fruitarian.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:37 pm
dont forget "beegan"...vegans that eat honey, ive met plenty...dosent make much sense and honey is easy to give up  

Soymilk_Gun

Hatelijk_en_bloeden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:49 pm
Soymilk_Gun
dont forget "beegan"...vegans that eat honey, ive met plenty...dosent make much sense and honey is easy to give up

Yeah, same here.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:27 am
Oh Em Gee! I haven't posted in this guild for a while, and when I come back I find that my post is now a sticky! I thought it must've been deleted...  

[Matsuko]

Smithium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:45 pm
I'm a non-wasting vegan. In other words, I will not eat animal by-products unless they're going to waste.

I think they call that a "freegan."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:45 pm
Smithium
I'm a non-wasting vegan. In other words, I will not eat animal by-products unless they're going to waste.

I think they call that a "freegan."

yeah thats called freegan...ive got alot of roadkill eatin friends...i think an important addition to veganism is anti-consumerist awarness...consumer capitalism (even of just vegan products) results in the death of many animals and destruction of the earth (the soybean industry is quite enviromentaly destructive) industiral agriculture itself kills animals using pestacides and in the harvesting process and denies animal natural habitat  

Soymilk_Gun

loves_old_blue_eyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:31 pm
I dont eat meat. I do however eat dairy and eggs. Would that also be consitered a strait "vegetarian" diet?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 pm
loves_old_blue_eyes
I dont eat meat. I do however eat dairy and eggs. Would that also be consitered a strait "vegetarian" diet?

Yeah, when people talk about vegetarians, they generally mean ovo-lacto.  

La Sabre

8,800 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Ailinea
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:56 pm
Most vegetarian cookbooks that you buy still contain ingredients of milk, egg, and cheese products, along with other non-vegan items. Usually one has to buy a vegan cookbook to get a truly animal by-product-free recipe.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:10 pm
I can proudly say that I am a Lacto-Vegetarian  

BabyBunlet

[Matsuko]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:53 pm
Cheza [The Flower Maiden]
Go Veaganism!!!!
I' am a level 5 vegan I eat nothing that cast a shadow.....(only drink water) Sorry someone said that to me the p***k!

xd Simpsons' quote!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:55 pm
Somehow I had failed to mention that I'm a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian. I hate it when people say I'm eating baby chickens. They weren't fertalized!!!  

[Matsuko]

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces