Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
huge age differences in dating Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

solemn euphoria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm
An 18 year old and a 45 year old, for example.

This has always been kind of intriguing to me, honestly. In all seriousness, I want to know what you guys think.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm
@ 1) I don't really mind. It would just be a tad difficult if the 18 year old is going far away to go to a univercity.

@ 2) Kinda ped obearish to me...  

Banshee Cupcake

Magical Wife

20,790 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Married 100

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:24 pm

The only way it isn't weird is if it conforms to the dating age formula. Let's express it algebraically. The older person's age = x and the younger person's age = y.

(x/2)+7≤y

So let's say a 36 year old man wanted to date a 27 year old woman. Let's find out if it is weird or not.

(36/2)+7≤27
18+7≤27
25≤27

The statement is true, and therefore it is not weird.

Let's change the facts. Let's say a 40 year old woman wanted to date a 24 year old man.

(40/2)+7≤24
20+7≤24
27≤24

The statement is false, and therefore it is weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 pm
I think that if you are over the age of 18 and you wanna date someone that age, it's your choice.

We had a celebrity relationship over here that caused controversy.

17 and 37

I don't think that is so wrong. In fact, im sure his mates were all saying "Get in there!"  

Racheal Shanks

5,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

NG COKEWAVE CHRIS

5,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm
I agree with Racheal that it's your choice, but it's a little awkward for everyone around them if they were to hold hands or something because what of people mistook them for the younger persons parent?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:41 pm
Love is Love

The heart wants, what the heart wants

Age is just a number

smile  

Chocolates_and_Kisses

Fashionable Hunter

7,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Harmonical Melodies

Hallowed Lunatic

13,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01 pm
I don't mind it at all. My mom is 12 years younger than my step dad. He's 50 and she's 35 maybe? Anyway, it doesn't bother me. You just love who you love.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 am
I suppose it all comes down to morals. Whether you're more of a conservative or a liberal I mean. I have nothing for or against these huge age differences personally. In fact, if anything, I have something against the idea of exclusive dating as a regular idea, but that's a subject for another time. The only thing is they may not be able to have kids (which may not be a bad thing with the overpopulation of the world when you think about it) and one will likely be widowed at a relatively early age.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

solemn euphoria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am
maui boy no ka oi

Very true. Not to mention - if the couple were to have kids, they would be left fatherless, possibly quite early.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 am
The_Mistress_Of_Music

Well said 3nodding  

solemn euphoria

NykinaEverlynn

Shameless Explorer

6,900 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 am
I have to say that I honestly don't mind it when the person is at least above 16. People are going to love who they want, and age doesn't effect that. However when they are below this age, and dating someone twice as old I feel like the child is being taken advantage of. I've heard of 14 of 15 year old dated people in their 30s and I feel like they don't understand what there getting into. If the relationship isn't sexual then I guess that would be better, but I worry that kids that date elders like this get into the sex aspect, and are really to young to understand that they are in some way being used. I know its there own choice, but at the same time I feel their to young to make those choices properly.

At least that my opinion. When someones old enough to really know what there doing I don't care. My granny and my papa were ten years apart. Me and my girlfriend are three. I think as long as your old enough its perfectly fine. Love is love.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am
desuforeverlulz

The only way it isn't weird is if it conforms to the dating age formula. Let's express it algebraically. The older person's age = x and the younger person's age = y.

(x/2)+7≤y

So let's say a 36 year old man wanted to date a 27 year old woman. Let's find out if it is weird or not.

(36/2)+7≤27
18+7≤27
25≤27

The statement is true, and therefore it is not weird.

Let's change the facts. Let's say a 40 year old woman wanted to date a 24 year old man.

(40/2)+7≤24
20+7≤24
27≤24

The statement is false, and therefore it is weird.

Er...your formula may be a little off....

Try 16 and 14...  

AINGELPROJECT667

Shy Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trader 100
  • Partygoer 500

Red Marionette

Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am
I have never understood the issue with age differences. So many people say "age is but a number" yet get a**l when there is a 20 year old wishing to date a 36 year old.

I personally would not date someone over 10 years older than me, if I had kids with this gentleman I do not want them losing their father exceptionally early. But I will refuse to date someone younger than me.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:34 pm
I think it depends on the people involved. An 18 yr old and 45 yr old are at very distinct points in life. It is ripe for controversy when you date someone who can be your parent. what about 40 and 60? 60/80?  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers