Welcome to Gaia! ::

★ The Random Guild: Random People Unite! [[Since 2008]] ★

Back to Guilds

"The Random Guild is like a giant family, except you never get tired of anyone!" - Toxic Pepper 

Tags: Random, Contest, Gold, Friends, Hangout 

Reply 14: Life Discussion Forum
Smoking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I give you poll gold ^_^
  YAYS!!!!!
View Results

Norokii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:27 pm
I have been a smoker for many years now and I need to quit, only one small problem is that it's a lot harder to quit then it is to start, so I was wondering what I should try to help. I have tried to quit cold turkey but that failed epically.
So any suggestions?

If you were a smoker before and quit how did you do it?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 pm
The key to quit is to WANT to quit. You need to stay motivated.

Have you tried the patch or the smoking pills?
Those help, but the best thing you can use is your mind.

When you have the crave to smoke think of cancer, and how much
bad it is doing to your body. You have to set a goal to quit, you can't
just take a pill or gum and think it will completely stop your cravings,
because it wont work.  

Toxic Pepper
Captain

Landria03

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:28 pm
I am not speaking by my own personal experience but by my dad's experience.
You may use an alternative. Like having a candy rather than a cigarette.
That worked for my father and also nothing beats DETERMINATION.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:32 pm
You need to figure how much you smoke a day, then take a cigarette or so away each day until you've weened yourself off of it. That's pretty much how any addiction gets resolved. Taking tiny steps at a time. You also need to take Toxic's advice with staying motivated and looking into those nicotine pills and patches and see if they will help.

Also take Landria's advice and replace cigarettes with something harmless, like candy or gum. When I was first dieting, it was really hard to fight the cravings for something sweet, so I'd chew a stick of sugarfree gum and it'd satisfy me. Lost 30 pounds and plan to lose more. All you need to determination and the willingness to change your lifestyle. 3nodding  

Beloved Soul

Norokii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 am
Thank you all that's really good advice
So starting today (couldn't last night I was drinking) I will start cutting down then in a few days start replacing Cigs with foodstuffs, Most likely cookies, I also figured I'd start up a few hobbies to keep my mind busy ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:03 am
i wood give u advice but im only 17 so never smoked b4 and none of my family members smoked and quit{that i know of} but i do wanna say one thing:
it is good u really have the desire to quit. quiting anything can be hard but smoking is probably harder than anything else. but i{even though i dont know u} beliee that u can quit. and ur friends and family mebers believe u can quit. so dint let us down. everyone in this guild believes in u!!!!
WE BELIEVE IN U!!!!!  

ZovLe

Invisible Phantom

7,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Megathread 100

tai-lerr--x

Dapper Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 pm
I dont know if anyones said this already, it looks like a lot of people want to help you out here, but the best way to stay motivated (which is really whats key in quitting) is to do things like actually LIST OUT reasons why you want to quit. Whether it be for your health, for you kids, friends, smell, or even just the general mindset. Im sure you can come up with many meaningful reasons for why youre quitting. Make a list as long as you can and pin it up in your room, your kitchen, put it in your wallet so youre not tempted to buy any! It saves you a lot of money, not smoking, and if you really dont have the willpower, cut off all your resources and limit your money so hard that you cant afford to buy any smokes.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:22 pm
Norokii

Hows everything going now?  

Toxic Pepper
Captain

Norokii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 am
Toxic Pepper
Norokii

Hows everything going now?

Much better I have started to cut down
Due to the holidays I was stressed out but I now only smoke 6 a day, and next week I'm gonna start taking 1 smoke out each day until I;m done completly  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:56 am
would like to thank everyone for helping me ^_^

X-tailerr-X- Thank you for the list Idea I love making lists so I'm going to try that thank you  

Norokii

Lady_Kohaku08

Angelic Vampire

23,725 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am
have someone to account to  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm
I'm not a smoker myself, but my grandmother died of lung cancer a few months ago from smoking so much. Please, use the knowledge of the harm it's causing your body to motivate you to stop.

(sorry im not much help)  

pinkbuddy36

Tipsy Pyromaniac

14,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Firestarter 200

just another scrub

King Noob

14,900 Points
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:30 am
When you are addicted to smoking cigarettes, it's not only the nicotine that you're addicted to. Believe it or not, but you are actually also addicted to the hand motions that you make when you put the cigarette to your lips and then bring it back to your side. So if you really want to stop smoking I would get something you can use to substitute that hand motion, a lot of people use sunflower seeds. I have quit cold turkey before and one problem I had while doing that is forgetting that I wanted to quit while I was trying. So if you are really serious about wanting to quit like I was at that time. What I did was take a black permanent marker and I wrote, "NO" in bold letters on the back of my hands. Sounds ridiculous I know, but it helped A LOT. The last thing you should know is that if you are a regular smoker, nicotine can stay in your system for up to 3-4 days. The nicotine may be out of your system after the 4th day, but the addiction to it will still be there for up to 4-5 days later. Well I guess that's it, GOOD LUCK!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 am
I just realized this thread was made almost a year ago. lol!  

just another scrub

King Noob

14,900 Points
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
14: Life Discussion Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items