Submit

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm
How different would Christianity be today if Marcion's movement had been the prevailing Christianity? Would Christianity's relation with Judaism and other religions have been better? Would gay rights still be an issue? Discuss.

A little background on Marcion:
Believed in a True God and a lesser being referred to as the "god of vengeance" or "god of nature"
Believed Jesus was sent by the True God to save us from this "god of vengeance".
Developed the first canon (Bible) consisting of a Luke variant called "the Gospel of the Lord" and 10 of Paul's letters.
He rejected the Old Testament and the Poets as not being Christian literature.
Believed in salvation by faith alone.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm
It sounds pagan to me. "Adonai eloheinu, Adonia ehod" - the Lord is God, the Lord is One. Even the Trinity sounds iffy to me. Even with the inclusion of the Torah in the Bible, Jews were treated abominably by Christianity. With its rejection, they might have been treated even worse.  

Galad Aglaron

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 pm
Galad Aglaron
It sounds pagan to me. "Adonai eloheinu, Adonia ehod" - the Lord is God, the Lord is One. Even the Trinity sounds iffy to me.
Well the Christian religion was put together by Gentiles.

Quote:
Even with the inclusion of the Torah in the Bible, Jews were treated abominably by Christianity. With its rejection, they might have been treated even worse.
Probably not. Marcion's stance was basically to break clean from Judaism and let it alone. He's on record for being a pluralist and the letters of Paul he used would have supported that stance.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm
Yes, and Jesus's stance was to build on Judaism and usher it into the Messianic age. Look what happened there.  

Galad Aglaron

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm
Galad Aglaron
Yes, and Jesus's stance was to build on Judaism and usher it into the Messianic age. Look what happened there.
Okay? I think this is off topic with my discussion.  

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games