View Results

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:33 pm
Another thread inspired me to make this one, but I'm sure y'all have tons of sprue that you either throw away or just grind up into rubble. There is so much more you can do with all that "extra" plastic you pay for, and I've done quite a bit with it, and I'm exploring more options.

I've actually made a couple of how-to videos on Youtube for two projects. The first has probably already occurred to a few people, Czech Hedgehogs & razor wire.

The next one might be a little more insightful: Low walls

Yes, that's my Youtube account, and I'm planning on making more. The next one I have planned is one for structures: more specifically a clapboard-sided cottage more suited for Fantasy games. Of course, i want to make an example first to refine the technique, find any glitches I may have to address, show in the beginning of the video, etc... In fact I've already started
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show..

I also use it for Ork vehicle chassis and loots.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I use it to make steel lattice-type structures.
(pic to come later)

I've even made crawler treads out of it, scraps of plasticard, and washers.

I've read that someone roughs sprue up and uses it for wooden posts and supports for terrain.

I've also heard of people dissolving it with acetone and dabbing small dots of it on a model for small rivets.

So, what do you use it for?

*In case by the off chance you don't know what sprue is, it's the plastic frame that keep the bits in place.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:07 am
I usually throw the sprues away when I'm done, but after seeing these inspiring images I'm going to save them for similar projects. Thanks for the inspiration! yum_coldone  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am
What piece is the second picture of? It looks very Eldar, but I don't recognize it from anything.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 pm
Awesome inspirations, I knew there was more use for that stuff! I've been trying to think of things to use them for and that truck frame is definitely a great use. Maybe if you look at construction plans of modern houses, you can get a few ideas of more uses? Either way, I'm thinking of using them as basic building frame and some card-stock in place of Sheetrock and the like.  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 pm
DarkElf27
What piece is the second picture of? It looks very Eldar, but I don't recognize it from anything.

It's a Raider.

I'll have to post a picture of the rest of it, because I used the same technique as the other to make the raised bed.

Awesome inspirations, I knew there was more use for that stuff! I've been trying to think of things to use them for and that truck frame is definitely a great use. Maybe if you look at construction plans of modern houses, you can get a few ideas of more uses? Either way, I'm thinking of using them as basic building frame and some card-stock in place of Sheetrock and the like.

Of course, that means you'll have to either cut the cardstock to the width of the space between the sprue-studs, or glue the pieces to one side or the other. I highly recommend the second technique, since I've done it for plasticard myself for my Grot Mega Tank (still in progress). I'll probably have to post a picture of that and how much sprue I used in it.

I'm glad I could inspire somebody, since not only do you pay for your models (a lot I might add), you pay for the sprue too. The way I see it, I'ma get as much value out of my models as I possibly can.

I'd encourage anybody to just take some sprue and start playing and tinkering with it. That's how I came up with those low wall patterns, and they don't necessarily have to be low either...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm
Interesting ideas. I have used GW sprues for steel beams in ruble and ruins. But I saw a friand of mine made soime simple agrarian buildings out of sprues and plastic card.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:29 am
I remember Black Gobbo running an article on the use of sprues. In typical GW-US fashion they grabbed an old hand-cranked meat grinder and fed the sprues into it, turning it into nicely sized chunks of debris for their Cities of Death table.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 am
Lt. Brookman
I remember Black Gobbo running an article on the use of sprues. In typical GW-US fashion they grabbed an old hand-cranked meat grinder and fed the sprues into it, turning it into nicely sized chunks of debris for their Cities of Death table.

That's what I use the smaller bits that I cut off the larger pieces for. I even have a Christmas card box to hold them in. As you said, it does make nice building rubble, and I've even made barricade-sized linear obstacles out of it.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm
notmuch_23
DarkElf27

It's a Raider.

I'll have to post a picture of the rest of it, because I used the same technique as the other to make the raised bed.

Of course, that means you'll have to either cut the cardstock to the width of the space between the sprue-studs, or glue the pieces to one side or the other. I highly recommend the second technique, since I've done it for plasticard myself for my Grot Mega Tank (still in progress). I'll probably have to post a picture of that and how much sprue I used in it.

I'm glad I could inspire somebody, since not only do you pay for your models (a lot I might add), you pay for the sprue too. The way I see it, I'ma get as much value out of my models as I possibly can.

I'd encourage anybody to just take some sprue and start playing and tinkering with it. That's how I came up with those low wall patterns, and they don't necessarily have to be low either...
I'm working on finding the proper additive for melting them down and casting my own stuff, but that'll be a completely new army and the like. I also have something to toss at you; if you take that thick, crappy bargain-bin white glue and mix it equal proportions with dirt, you can make excellent hills, debris, even use a torn up shirt to make sandbags. Hard to peel apart, but I think cellophane wrapping could do the trick. I also found something called the Sawfish online. It's only a concept drawing, but it's supposed to be a fast, light skimmer, open top, for the Tau and extra sprues came in a LOT of use. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm
Whats the White Board stuff you used on the outside? The stuff in picture # 4....  

HowlPhilinish

Fashionable Shapeshifter

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 pm
howlerd
Whats the White Board stuff you used on the outside? The stuff in picture # 4....

It's sheet styrene, also known as plasticard.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm
I've used sprues for carving out replacement Wraithlord Legs, making weapons (staffs, flag poles, new gun barrels) and the popular wreckage/rubble but I never thought of using it to build an actual Ork buggy... that's just brilliant. lol Kudos good sir, kudos.  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:12 pm
DarkReaper40k
I've used sprues for carving out replacement Wraithlord Legs, making weapons (staffs, flag poles, new gun barrels) and the popular wreckage/rubble but I never thought of using it to build an actual Ork buggy... that's just brilliant. lol Kudos good sir, kudos.

Wraithlord legs? Damn! That must be hard, even with green stuff!

Though I have actually built a couple of killa kanz with sprue legs (and round sprue as the hydraulic actuator rods), those Wraithlord legs must take a lot of skill! I think the kudos should go to you!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Well to be fair it was the older age Wraithlord and I didn't model the foot. Instead I made him an Eldar-esque peg leg with a ton weight for a foot as his 'weapon of choice.' Which... you're going to see in an upcoming 40k Funny. lol  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm
DarkReaper40k
Well to be fair it was the older age Wraithlord and I didn't model the foot. Instead I made him an Eldar-esque peg leg with a ton weight for a foot as his 'weapon of choice.' Which... you're going to see in an upcoming 40k Funny. lol

Well yeah, I was gonna say...

Eldar crap is very curvy and ornate, i.e. hard to carve without the proper tools.

But yeah. The point I'm trying to convey with this thread is that sprue isn't just a "waste product".  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff