Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Serious question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 am
In the UK, we have a system set up for our household waste to be recycled, where I live this takes the form of pre-sorting for glass/plastic/metal, paper/card, and for composting food waste, alongside general household rubbish.

My question to you is:

Can the plastic and metals GW make their models from be recycled, as there's a number of old sprues with bits on, and a number of broken/damaged models that I'd rather not "just" throw away.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 am
I guess plastic is recyclable, metal too but it's on the way out, not sure about resin...  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 am
From what I recall GW's plastic can be recycled. Maelstrom games is known to collect old sprues and plastic kits for recycling purposes.

As for the pewter GW uses, don't know. My dad (who works in the metals industry) commented on it saying that it is of a low quality, comparing it to metal production refuse left over from their processes.

But plastic is plastic and metal is metal, amirite?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 am
That's what I would have thought...  

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm
Well, just a second; why not just use them to make barriers and the like? Round the corners on sprues just a little and glue them in stacks to make rudimentary walls, use a bit of cardstock with them to make ruined houses, so on. I found out just a couple days ago that recycling is bullshit anyways, more resources are spent in having a separate vehicle picking it up, sorting, storing, cleaning and reapplied, another truck moving everything between each part of the process. Hell, the bleaching and cleaning of used papers is more harmful than just cutting down trees; we grow tree farms for paper, after all.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:40 pm
Every little helps. It's not about energy, though, more about resources.  

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 pm
Why even throw all those sprue and bitz into the recycling bin? USE that s**t! If you need an Idea, I've made an instructional video (my first one, so it's probably cringe-worthy at times) on Czech Hedgehogs made from sprue, including razor wire to wrap around them (too bad I can't embed the video into the post in a guild apparently...).

Much better than throwing that in the recycling bin.

After I get an Ott Lite, I'l probably film one for low walls, then one for larger structures from larger versions of those walls, one for latticework, maybe one for vehicle frames,..  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games