Welcome to Gaia! ::

██Sparkling Waters Guild██ Inactive ATM

Back to Guilds

Jump into the waters of Dolphins, Mermaids, Monsters, and earn tons of Gold! 

Tags: Booty Grab, Sparkling Waters Guild, Aquarium, Tanks, Gold 

Reply █ [SWG] Chatterbox & Announcements
Aquariums: profitable?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Welcome Stranger

Rich Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm
I've been crunching some numbers and I have no idea how I'm ever going to get even the amount I invested in my tank, let alone any sort of profit.
I'm full of regret.

... your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:37 pm
Roripang
I've been crunching some numbers and I have no idea how I'm ever going to get even the amount I invested in my tank, let alone any sort of profit.
I'm full of regret.

... your thoughts?

My first tank was a disaster gonk I lost like,,2m..
You have to expose your tank A LOT to get your investment back.
Also bump glow threads because some bump yours when you're glowing as well.
If you haven't read this yet...you might wanna....Try some of the tips here.  

chiisai-akanbo
Vice Captain

Welcome Stranger

Rich Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 pm
chiisai-akanbo
I have! Tapping for one doesn't work for me. The fishies freeze, but they don't huddle like the should (?).

I'm getting 20 to 34 players per game. At average haul from the game, I'm still about a quarter of a million short from my original investment.

I should have known the sellers count their profits carefully. Doesn't seem fair that they charge prices for the fish that the tank owner can't realistically expect to get back when they already get the gold without doing any work...

I guess I should have thought about this more before buying. Oh well. Now all I can do is work my a** off. :/  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 pm
Roripang

20-34 players is nice.
have you tried hiring a tank stalker?
also there are bump shops that offer bumps for glow threads... like..

Fated Rose Bumping Service by: x-Death by Panda-x
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
x-Death by Panda-x
We bump:
Megathreads!
Aquarium threads! (please PM x-Death by Panda-x your glow times)
Charities and Quests!
Events and contests!
EVERYTHING!!

chiisai-akanbo
Vice Captain

Welcome Stranger

Rich Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 am
chiisai-akanbo
Thanks for the tip!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:09 pm
Roripang
chiisai-akanbo
I have! Tapping for one doesn't work for me. The fishies freeze, but they don't huddle like the should (?).

I'm getting 20 to 34 players per game. At average haul from the game, I'm still about a quarter of a million short from my original investment.

I should have known the sellers count their profits carefully. Doesn't seem fair that they charge prices for the fish that the tank owner can't realistically expect to get back when they already get the gold without doing any work...

I guess I should have thought about this more before buying. Oh well. Now all I can do is work my a** off. :/

That's the way it goes, unfortunately. Most people are more interested in putting gold in their own pockets, and a seller isn't going to sell fish at a cheaper price to a tank owner and risk losing some of what they paid for the fish in the first place. That's what the MP is for, to make a profit. I can reccommend a fish to you, and that is the Memphis Mermaid. At the moment, I have been snagging a few at 50-60k.Now, at that price, you could always wait until MP inflates and sell them back for around 90k each, or you could place them in your tank. They don't give as much gold as the more popular Dolphin, but the drops are WAY better. You can get from one Memphis drop, the item Memphis stockings, which sells in the Mp for 200k or more. I have sold these stockings for 300k. And there's also other items, which can be sold for like 80k. Like the hair, the memphis halo... :3  

Pixelated-Kawaii

Welcome Stranger

Rich Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:29 am
Peachy_Girl_Momo
Hmm... Maybe I should start getting ready for when my irrawaddies kick the bucket... Thank you for sharing this with me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 am
Roripang
Peachy_Girl_Momo
Hmm... Maybe I should start getting ready for when my irrawaddies kick the bucket... Thank you for sharing this with me.

you're welcome smile  

Pixelated-Kawaii

PreachingBear

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:29 pm
My Full Memphis Tank has given me a considerably high profit. It cost me about 1 million to make the tank. But have payed for themselves about halfway. I only have to earn about 4 k a day to pay up for their cost, but they usually give me 30 k a day, so 26 k a day? X 40 weeks? Priceless.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:41 pm
The main thing is look at the type of fish you're buying from the MP. Alot of the time getting from the MP you won't really make that much of a profit unless you get the fish for a really good deal. Make sure to have almost full plays each time to maximize the profit you're getting. Basically you want to shoot for 50k to 200k a day to really make your gold back and some profit. I personally got all my mermaids with GC, so everything is pure profit, but you can also do the GC tree everyday for 10 GC which is 280 GC in a month and since the Mermaids are 75 GC each you could have a full tank of them in 4 and a half months and if you went that route since they live for 10months you would have enough GC again to get 2 more full tanks of them within there lifespan and the extras you can keep to have your tank stocked all the time or sell off a few.  

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50

DarkErotica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:27 pm
User Image
*Hello my favorite sparkling guildies!!*

I just had to post this, since people have been a little awry about investing in aquariums since the fish seemed to have changed. I wasn't here on gaia before whatever the last big change was, so I wouldn't know what it was, but I DO know what it's like now. So maybe I can help.

Now most of these figures are average numbers, approximating half of total potential (17/34) players per game, and assuming you get the same medium amount of players for each of the 8 glow periods per day.

That'd leave you with the following equation: { "~" = Approximate }
(((~Plays x ~Score) x 8Glows) x Lifespan[days]) - (Price x 17) = Profit

I had this conversation with Mafia18 approximately a week ago. His tank was on the brink of dying out and he was contemplating what he should refill it with. Which of course led to the dialogue below:

((Mafia1 cool )
DarkErotica
okay so i am on ur guild dark waters and i just wanted to update u on my aquarium which should technically be somewhere in the dolphin mix forum
i just wanted to let u know that all of my dolphins died today so its going to take me like 2-3 days to get my aquarium back up but with partly dolphins and mermaids

also i did some calculations which might be a little of ur intrest

so 1 dolphin is 104k almost
17 dolphins = 1,768,000
they live for 5weeks (35days)
giving us about 85k daily?
ending up giving up as much as 85*35 = 2,975,000 in total
meaning we get a profit of 1,207,000 <-- only on million

then there are the memphises
so 1memphis = 70k
17 memphises = 1,190,000g
the live for 40 weeks (280days)
giving us about 65k average daily?
ending up giving us as much as 65*280 = 18,200,000 in total
meaning we get a profit of 17,010,000 <-- 17.01 million

xD i wanted to maybe let u know so u can spread the news to other ppl too so they don't waste their gold on too high priced fishes?

Haha i been saying the same thing for a long time now. I'm glad someone else is smart enough to see it too. xD The only dolphins that are remotely worth investing in are the porpoise type. They're more expensive, but last 4 months.

1 dolphin = ~400k
17 dolphins = ~6.8m
Life expectancy = 4 months (approx 120 days)
giving each game an almost guaranteed 500g
guesstimate an average of 20 players per game, 10,000 + the 2500g bonuses
12,500*8glows = approx 100k per day, 12,000,000 in total.
netting a profit of about 5.2m

Nowhere near as profitable as the mermaids, but at least it's more than the irrawaddy's. I'm not sure about the returns on airsharks, but I'll make an average of 800-1100 (base game points) per game in a pure tank. And they're just about as expensive as the dolphins above.

so keep the cost, approx, 7m for 17 airsharks,
life expectancy = 8 weeks (eww)
average game = 900g? * 20+ = 18000. we'll just say 20k for the sake of arguement and rounding
20k*8 glows = 160,000 per day.
160,000*56=approx 9m.
netting a profit of only 2m.

the expensive fish are amazing for the players in the community, but obviously terrible on returns for the owner. I've always told people that buying a full tank of memphis is the best way to go since you don't have to worry about replacing your fish for 2/3 of a year. Lol I LOVE getting giftbox drops, so I make sure I keep a grunny or 2 in my tanks, but other than that, I don't think I'd ever bother investing in anything other than Memphis.

I also LOVE conversations like this, and number crunching. Part of the reason I love world of warcraft so much. xD

User Image

It's a bit tedious, but you should only be needing to do math for expensive fishies anyway, which there aren't THAT many of. I hate to discourage tank owners from investing in the big expensive fish, because I LOVE myself a good Pure Blue Rain. wink But they're just not worth it. Even if you do the math to equal out the life expectancy numbers, to see if 10 lifespans of an irrawaddy (which equals ONE memphis lifespan) would net the same profit over time, you're still at a loss. I know I did that for one of the high-end fish that only lives for 4 weeks, and it was still approximately 2 million gold shy of the memphis profit.

Like I said, I don't want to discourage tank owners from buying what they like, but if you're REALLY interested in turning a serious profit from your own tank, you already know what I'm gonna tell you.

That's it peoples. You has my say-so.
DarkErotica, out.
Whooosh.
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:16 am
Well just so that you know. ^_^

50-60k ea memphis is worth buying. ^_^

okay lets do the math.

60k x 17 = 1,020,000 gold.

They have a lifespan of 40 weeks, so basically 10 months. Now they glow at either 3~11 in a glow. But to keep them in a good number I think a well maintained tank with a full heart would give you good glows.

As for my personal experience. I have earned 1.4 million within 5 weeks duration of my tank. smile So basically I'm just earning now. smile So Memphis right now is a good tank. smile  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
█ [SWG] Chatterbox & Announcements

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items