Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply The White Tomb [Archives]
Keeper's Crevasse! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who do you think will win?
Irish will win! Irish will fly! Gonna send that quaffle through the sky!
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Peru will win! Peru will score! Gonna dispatch those clovers out the door!
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

vivacious_red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 am
Welcome to The 2011 World Cup!
^And welcome to the Keeper's Crevasse, cause Keepers Keep it on the Edge

User Image

The first ever Quidditch World Cup was held in 1473 between Bulgaria and Romania. Flanders represented Bulgaria and representing Romania was Transylvania.

Many fouls accorded in this game, including a very well known player trying to be decapitated in the middle of the game & a hundred blood-hungry vampire bats being let loose onto the field, which where released by the Transylvania's Captain. Hopefully, no such occurrences will happen this time around.

It has been 538 years since the first Quidditch World Cup, and now, we are very lucky to have the Quidditch World Cup here at Hogwarts.

I look forward to seeing all of our Keepers, as well as the rest of our players, participate and play by the Rules this Summer. It will be very interesting to see who wins.

For those of you who don't already know me, I'm Calliope Wimple I will be the Referee for the Keepers.

| Welcome | Rules | How To Play | Current Questions | Keepers' Scoreboard | Previous Trivia Questions l World Cup Scoreboard | Hall of Fame |

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am
Rules:

Playing Quidditch is very easy. You guys are going to be wonderful. However, I must enforce some rules and regulations:

• If you're not a Keeper, you can still post here. However, I encourage you to do most of your chatting in the Stands

• Never ever post a Trivia answer in this thread (or anywhere else). Answers should always be PMed to me

• When sending trivia answers to me, please make sure the subject has your Team's Name AND the Series Number. The Series Number will be posted in the Current Question section of this thread.

• Keepers are only allowed to send me ONE PM per Series. Multiple PMs (in a series) will cost your team points, even if the answers are correct!

• If you have a question about how this game will work or anything else, ASK IT. I prefer you to post your questions here, there's no need to PM me a question.

• Take the time out and sign some autographs with your fans. The Stands is the event's main hangout thread. Participation is key to win the House Cup!

• Also, I must ask you to not use the internet to find these answers. There may be a round where I say it's okay but, for now, no help from websites like Lexicon.

• You should all be posting in your House Color, NOT your Team's color.

| Welcome | Rules | How To Play | Current Questions | Keepers' Scoreboard | Previous Trivia Questions | World Cup Scoreboard | Hall of Fame |

vivacious_red

vivacious_red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 am
How To Play:

Playing Quidditch is very simple for you as Keepers.
All you have to do to protect your teams goals is to answer the Trivia Questions correctly.
I will post a series of questions in the Current Questions post each week.
Each Keeper will get to send ONE PM to me each week with the answers to the questions.
The questions will be Harry Potter related. They're not going to be your average Dueling Club questions either!
As Keepers, your trivia will be a spot more difficult than that of the chasers.
Every correct answer means you have prevented a goal. As a result, the other team will lose 10 points from their score, if you get an answer wrong, you won't be penalized!(now isn't that nice?)

| Welcome | Rules | How To Play | Current Questions | Keepers' Scoreboard | Previous Trivia Questions | World Cup Scoreboard | Hall of Fame |

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 am
Current Questions:

*Series -*
For this series you will be allowed to use the Books ONLY for ONE question of your choice. You must however tell me the page number where you found the answer and what version of the books you used (i.e. US paperback release, UK hardback, etc)
All "Reasoning" Questions will be marked with a "*"

There will be no more questions, be sure to check The Stands to see the results!

You will have until next Wednesday(- / - -) to send these answers to me! It's okay to guess because I don't expect you to get all of the questions right! But remember, that you are duty-bound to do your Country justice, or, to put it more colloquially...
Make your Mamma Land Proud!

Welcome l Rules | How To Play | Current Questions | Keepers' Scoreboard | Previous Trivia Questions | World Cup Scoreboard | Hall of Fame |

vivacious_red

vivacious_red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 am
Keeper's Scoreboard:

((Where the score never goes above zero!))

Peru: -365pts
Ireland: -398pts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am
Previous Trivia Questions: (With Answers)

Series 1
1. How many questions were on Gilderoy Lockhart's first quiz as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? 54

2. What color is the carpet on the stairs at the Quidditch World Cup Stadium? Rich Purple

3. In Harry's first year at Hogwarts, who were the first two students to be sorted into Hufflepuff house? Hannah Abbot and Susan Bones

4. What was the name of the goblin, traveling with Ted Tonks and Dirk Cresswell, who was killed? Gornuk

5. When the Fat Lady fled for her (albeit two-dimensional) life on Halloween, she hid in a painting of what city? Argyllshire

Series 2
1. Who came through the barrier at platform 9 ¾ immediately following Harry and Arthur in his third year and in what manner did they do it (2 parts)? Percy and Ginny Weasley, at a run.

2. How long do lacewings need to stew in Polyjuice potion? 21 Days

3. What is the full name (first and last) of the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher that taught Tom Riddle and retired after nearly 50 years of teaching? Galatea Merrythought

4. As of Harry and Ron’s first train ride on the Hogwarts express, what chocolate frog cards does Ron mention he still needs? Agrippa and Ptolemy.

5. There is a tapestry across the corridor from the entrance to the Room of Requirement, whom and what does it depict? Barnabus the Barmy’s foolish attempt to train trolls for ballet.

Series 3
1. What was the final score of the Quidditch World Cup? (5pts for each team’s score) Bulgaria: 160, Ireland: 170

2. In their fifth year, what did Harry get Hermione for Christmas? (be specific!) The book, New Theory of Numerology

3. What was Harry having for breakfast when Ron received the howler from Mrs. Weasley regarding the stolen Ford Anglia? Porridge

4. What color socks did Ron give Dobby on Christmas so he could “mix them up properly”? Violet

5. When Cormack McLaggen was filling in for Ron as keeper in the match against Hufflepuff, what was the score before Harry got his scull cracked? (5pts for each team’s score) Hufflepuff: 70 and Gryffindor: 40

Series 4
1. In what book can one find the correct way to juice a Snargaluff pod? Flesh-Eating Trees of the World

2. How Much do Fred and George bet on the Quidditch World Cup?(3pts for right number of galleons, sickles, knuts; 10pts if all parts are correct) 37 Galleons, 15 sickles, 3 knuts

3. According to the Kwikspell letter, who had ‘no memory for incantations’ before the course? Madame Z. Nettles of Topsham

4. What color are Buckbeak’s eyes? Orange

5. (Reasoning) When Harry leaves the Dursley’s for the last time, on what date specifically does the order plan to move him? Given that Harry was born in July of 1980. (5pts for the day, 5pts for the year)
July 27, 1997 This date is also the date of the Battle of the Seven Potters. If you will recall, in the final book, we first see Harry having cut his finger whilst cleaning his trunk on the day of his departure..."It was stupid, pointless, irritating beyond belief that he still had four days left of being unable to perform magic..." Harry would be able to perform magic on his 17th Birthday, the 31st. And therefore, the order planned to move him on 31 minus 4, which equals the 27th.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, American Hardback Release 13, 87

Series 5
1. When Harry paid his first visit to his Gringotts vault, what came out of the vault when Griphook opened the door? ((hint: it wasn’t gold)) Green Smoke.

2. *How many people were in the original DA? (5pts) How many of them were in their 7th year at the time? (5pts) 28 Original Members, 5 in their 7th year: Fred, George, Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, and Alicia Spinnet

3. *What is the least amount of Hogwarts Quidditch matches for which Lee Jordan was the commentator? ("least amount" meaning, how many times do we as readers know for a fact that Lee Jordan commentated) At least 6 times. Once in PS, 186. Once in CS, 168. Twice in PoA, 259+305. Twice in OoP, 406+ 684.

4. What kind of hedges surround Malfoy Manor? Yew Hedges.

5. *In Harry's third year, with which of the Hogwarts school houses did the Gryffindors have Muggle Studies? Hufflepuff. Since Ernie MacMillan was the one who said that Hermione hadn't missed a class, we can draw the conclusion that she shared that class with the Hufflepuffs.

Series 6
1. What other biography has Rita Skeeter written besides The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore? Armando Dippet: Master or Moron? Half-Blood Prince, pg 252

2. For which class was Harry reading Quintescense: A Quest? Charms

3. How long were Lily and James in a relationship? (that is, from dating to their tragic, untimely deaths) Reasoning that they started dating in their 7th year, and knowing their birthdays from their tombstones, we can deduce that they were both 21 when they died, depending on when during their 7th year that they started dating, they were together for somewhere between 5 and 5 and a half years.

4. What went wrong during Ron's Divination O.W.L.? For the practical crystal ball segment of the test, he described an ugly old man with a big wart on his nose, only to look up and realize he'd been describing his examiner's reflection.

5. How old was Severus Snape when he was murdered?
(JK Rowling has disclosed Snape's birthday (as in month and day) and since I don't want to give it to you willy-nilly, I made up a little riddle of sorts. Keep in mind that the riddle's answer will help you to get the right answer to the question, it is not the answer itself.)
First the month,
Into the bitter cold, young Severus Snape was born,
:he was born in winter
Cradled in the Cypress boughs, with a stoneclad will of constancy. :Cypress is a tree associated with January
Next the number of the day,
Dawn of night, and night of dawn.
:The first letter of night is "n" and the last letter of dawn is "n" --> N
Where Spine of Lionfish and Porcupine Quills share a passing sound, :Both Spine and Porcupine share the "ine" sound
Now think, Eddie Charmicael earned just how many Outstanding O.W.L.s? :Nine
Meaning that Severus Snape was born on January Ninth.
To figure out how old he was when he died, take the year that Lily was born, 1960, and then the fact that the war took place in 1998, which makes for 38 years, to check further, the war was in early May, and Snape was born in January, therefore he had already turned 38 that year, so he was indeed 38 when he was murdered.

vivacious_red

vivacious_red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am
World Cup Scoreboard:

Congratulations Team Peru!

Team Ireland vs. Team Peru!

262 | 344

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am
Hall Of Fame:

Here are the Keepers for the Peru and Ireland Teams.

Peru:
Tina Aurora [Avatar34] - Graduate of Gryffindor House, Tina's broom of choice is a firebolt. After her spectacular performance as seeker for Belgium in last year's World Cup, Quidditch followers everywhere have come to regard Tina as a sharp eyed, gutsy player with lightning quick movements that are thrilling to behold.
Channel Vann [Yukina101] - Representing Gryffindor, Channel's broom of choice is a Nimbus 2000. Despite this rookie's short stature, she has proven to be a most enthusiastic player, and earned a great deal of popularity with the spectators this season when an abraxen horse (winged horse mascots of France) broke free of it's tethers and took to the air during a game. Channel managed to leap from her broom and onto the gigantic beast, catch the quaffle, and then safely land the abraxen on the field below.

Ireland:
Yami Enzeru [Yami Enzeru88] - Representing Hufflepuff House, Yami's broom of choice is a firebolt. Yami is believed to be a forceful and unyielding rising player but most of his tactics remain a complete mystery to the spectators. Look to the skies, for no one knows what this curious new player is capable of!
Amanda White [Syreyn] - Representing Hufflepuff House, Amanda's choice of broom is a firebolt. Amanda is nick-named "The Siren" due to the combination of her trademark high-pitched war cry, and the impression that it calls the quaffle to her, like an unwitting sailor.

I hope you don't mind me embellishing these little stories, since I don't personally know all of you, I composed them based on looking at your profiles and looking around a bit on the guild. If you DO have a problem with anything I put, please PM me, and I will change/remove it accordingly.

vivacious_red

vivacious_red

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Calliope's Kicker:
^A Note from your referee, Calliope Wimple

Welcome Keepers, to your sanctuary! Or to be more precise, your headquarters, and information center.
This year, us referees are going to be trying a little something to help enhance the atmosphere of the world cup. We will be creating commentary on the match that more or less corresponds to how each person fares on their questions. For this commentary, we will be using your RP names to embellish little tidbits, so your character may commit a foul, miss a shot, or be hit by a bludger. Rest assured that these adornments will be purely for the amusement of the spectators, and that any damage done to characters will not affect them beyond the quidditch pitch(unless, of course, you choose to make it so).
I know we all love and treat each other kindly here at HPGoG, but please feel free to take this annual opportunity to adopt the blood thirsty spirit in which the game of Quidditch was created!!! twisted
ahem.
That said, I WANT A NICE FAIR GAME, FROM ALL OF YOU.
wink

The commentary will be posted in "SHOUT" format both here and in the stands. And if you take issue with anything we may write concerning your character, please don't hesitate to contact me, the last thing we want is to offend anyone.

The White Tomb [Archives]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff