Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Which came first...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:29 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:50 pm
mmmm...peeps. I should buy some.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:00 pm
Nuri
~Poke~ Some help you are! wink  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri
~Poke~ Some help you are! wink

Its a chicken/egg arguement. Lots of dancing, but no real answer.So I'll submit that it is both!  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:46 am
Nuri
Its a chicken/egg arguement. Lots of dancing, but no real answer.So I'll submit that it is both!
~mumbles~ no fair! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:02 am
I think I'm with Nuri here, for the most part. It may very well be dependent on the particular object, a case-by-case basis. I can just as easily see ancient people going "Dude, this thing looks crazy out of the ordinary, it's gotta be magical and I should carry it," as "Whenever I carry this thing, awesome stuff happens, it must be magical."

One could argue, though, that for associations in general, it would be most likely for the posession of an object to come first. If we're going from an evolutionary perspective (toss this by the wayside right off if you don't) then any association would have to be based on some sort of knowledge. The concept of a magical tie to an object would have to come first, and it wouldn't come out of the blue.  

TatteredAngel

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:08 am
I'll submit it's neither so. Just to confuse matters, of course.
*grin*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:46 am
reagun ban
I'll submit it's neither so. Just to confuse matters, of course.
*grin*

b*****d. talk2hand  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:07 am
Nuri

Technically the egg came first, since fish preceeded birds by quite some time. xd

I think you need to do repeat trials for your own particular talisman, since things seem to come in waves. However, in terms of talisman's themselves, my guess is the earliest were like the elaborate rituals created by some baseball players to explain when they're having a winning streak - they often have a pair of socks or something that they always wear, and not wasing it is often included. I would guess the first talismens were like that, then people realized how useful they could be and started making more of them.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:04 am
I should start changing it.

I think that talismans started off as having their uses that humans later discovered. But that's an animistic shaman's perspective. ~Shrugs~

Anyone else want to try that Anti-Bunny talisman? See if it is a wave, my sparkling personality, or the real deal? wink  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff