Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The World of Anime and Gaming
Alice: Madness Returns (Partial Review)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Opinion on the game?
  Love it! XD
  Hate it! >.<
  Eh, it's ok. -_-
  Gold! @_@
View Results

KawaiiPankake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 am
As I'm sure everyone is aware, Alice: Madness Returns hit the shelves yesterday. I, like tons of other Alice fans, had it on pre-order, which scored me 9 songs from the soundtrack of the game. Pretty sweet deal, because the music is pretty wicked. Also, if you buy the game new, it gives you a code to download American Mcgee's first Alice. I have my copy around here somewhere... But I'm still going to take advantage of downloading it, that way I can play it whenever I gosh darn feel like it on the PS3. Woo!

Alright, on to the partial review of the game (I say partial, because I've so far only made it to Hatter's Domain, which isn't that far into the game). First and foremost, I'll say this. GameInformer gave Madness Returns a crap review, scoring it at a 6.75 out of 10. So far this is the worst review I've had the liberty to read. I'm waiting to see what XPlay has to say...

Anyway, so far my only complaint is the semi-glitchy graphics (poor rendering). It's not really that bad, but seeing as there are so many other games out there with gorgeous graphics, they could have stepped it up one more notch. Alice's character on the other hand, is rendered quite nicely though. While jumping, you are surrounded by bright blue butterflies, and while dodging, you turn into bright butterflies. Reminded me A LOT of Bayonetta. Those of you who have played Bayonetta will know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I highly suggest you play it! Moving on...
Not too far into the game, you pick up Alice's iconic Vorpal Blade, than soon after a Pepper Grinder, which is used like a Gatling gun. Freakin' amazing. Those are the only weapons I've picked up so far. In order to upgrade your weapons, you collect teeth. I thought that was pretty interesting. Very unique.
The enemies are a lot more original. My favorite so far is the giant mechanical tea pot in Hatter's Domain. But like I said, I haven't made it past there yet, so I'm sure there are plenty more awesome enemies I'll encounter.

I'll continue to update this review as I play. So, feel free to comment if you've bought the game. Let me know what you think so far.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm
I don't like it for PC. I got it for my computer to stay true to the original console but I can barely get it to run.  

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

KawaiiPankake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 pm
Cat like thief 182
I don't like it for PC. I got it for my computer to stay true to the original console but I can barely get it to run.

That's the reason I didn't get it for PC. I wasn't quite sure of the system requirements. This computer sucks for when it comes to games. I can barely get mmorpg's to run on it. >.<
I got it for PS3. Maybe return it for the PS3 or XBox version?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:08 pm
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182

That's the reason I didn't get it for PC. I wasn't quite sure of the system requirements. This computer sucks for when it comes to games. I can barely get mmorpg's to run on it. >.<

I actually just beat it for PS3, lol.  

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

KawaiiPankake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 am
Cat like thief 182
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182

Oh, lol. XD Did you like it?
I've been reading all the reviews I can find on it. It seems to be pretty 50/50 at this point, which I figured would happen. I still haven't been past Hatter's Domain. My brother's been hogging the PS3 since he got his hands on CoD MW2. -_-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:48 am
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182

I've been reading all the reviews I can find on it. It seems to be pretty 50/50 at this point, which I figured would happen. I still haven't been past Hatter's Domain. My brother's been hogging the PS3 since he got his hands on CoD MW2. -_-

I really enjoyed it, a lot more than MW2 (which I actually also enjoyed, lol) I like the story and the graphics are pretty amazing. I do have a few gameplay issues though that I'm sure other people have had..... like WTF is with the butterflies? In the first game she was like a normal girl who just got sucked into all this madness and now she can shrink on command and turn into butterflies? Seriously, where did that come from?

Other than that though I really enjoyed it, amd moving on up to the next difficulty.  

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

KawaiiPankake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 pm
Cat like thief 182
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182
KawaiiPankake
Cat like thief 182

I really enjoyed it, a lot more than MW2 (which I actually also enjoyed, lol) I like the story and the graphics are pretty amazing. I do have a few gameplay issues though that I'm sure other people have had..... like WTF is with the butterflies? In the first game she was like a normal girl who just got sucked into all this madness and now she can shrink on command and turn into butterflies? Seriously, where did that come from?

Other than that though I really enjoyed it, amd moving on up to the next difficulty.

I seems each person has their own personal issues with it. I enjoy the butterflies, though it seems like they stole the idea from Bayonetta. But I don't really understand the point, either. As for the shrinking on command, it's pretty convenient, seeing as the point is to get through certain areas needed to get to the next area. It's definitely better than having to search out a potion just to get to the next area. That would drive me mad (pun intended). I can't recall how the shrinking worked in the first one, so I can't compare.
I'm dying to get further. And to beat it. I started on Medium. I'm wondering how the different levels affect gameplay.

The World of Anime and Gaming

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games