Submit

The Original Jbird

5,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm
User Image

I joined this guild long ago for the same reason why I'm here now: despite the fact that I come from a "Christian" family, I don't know the Bible or the religion at all. I'd like to study it on my own, but I don't really know how to start. The obvious answer is "Genesis," but I was wondering, is there any other way to start other than just reading it like any other book?
Thanks smile
(Sorry if this is the wrong place sweatdrop )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm
Hm you could get a one year bible, or go to the local church and start a study with other early Christians. Or what i did is read a proverb everyday in addition to my regular bible reading, i think there are some sites with a random verse a day too if your not ready to start into some deep reading.  

Zolof Keeper Of Souls

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:31 am
Simple answer: get the New Oxford Annotated Bible, it's the Bible for skeptical Christians.

Long answer: Many of the stories are mythic. This does not mean that they are not true but rather that they are conveying an interal truth in narrative. Events, characters, places, objects, and numbers all have symbolic meanings that relate to us personally and convey meanings that help aid us in our process of salvation through Christ. The Bible is not one Book but many Books representing different theologies. Understanding the "who" each book is addressing, the suspected authors and/or school of thoughts of each book, and what events were going on during the writings is helpful in putting things in perspective.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 am
Start with Exodus. This is where the basis for most of the bible is born.

Up until Matthew, you read that one second. Those are not only the two you should read first, but the ones you read most often.

I don't recommend reading it cover to cover, unless you are "Reading the Bible as Literature", which is fun. Gives you unique perspectives,  

Matt Pniewski

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am
rmcdra
Simple answer: get the New Oxford Annotated Bible, it's the Bible for skeptical Christians.

Long answer: Many of the stories are mythic. This does not mean that they are not true but rather that they are conveying an interal truth in narrative. Events, characters, places, objects, and numbers all have symbolic meanings that relate to us personally and convey meanings that help aid us in our process of salvation through Christ. The Bible is not one Book but many Books representing different theologies. Understanding the "who" each book is addressing, the suspected authors and/or school of thoughts of each book, and what events were going on during the writings is helpful in putting things in perspective.

This is why I love you heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm
To study the bible study what your interested in knowing or needing. Like love, patience, healing..etc. you can usually find the scriptures for those things in the back of the bible. I get lots of stuff online and then start studying parts of the bible.
I like reading the bible it is like an instruction Manuel for how I should live my life I think.  

angelic snow angel

Angelic Warrior

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm
I recommend any Bible marketed for teenagers.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:08 pm
If you want to read the Bible as a study on Christianity, trying to read it like a book will probably end in a lot of frustration. Things get really bogged down around Leviticus, and stay that way all through Kings.

I would start with one of the Gospels, preferably John or Luke. John really emphasizes the love of Jesus for all of mankind, and Luke was a Gentile writing to other Gentiles about this pretty awesome Jew. They also read more easily than the other two, especially Matthew, which was written almost specifically FOR the Jews, and starts off with the heritage of Jesus.

Really, you want to bounce between the NT and the OT. Read a gospel or two, then read Genesis and Exodus. Go back to Romans, then perhaps Psalms or Proverbs. A few of the letters in the NT like Corinthians or 1-3 John would probably not be amiss either.

Obviously, you're going to hit all of the books eventually. But I wouldn't suggest reading them in order. I did it once, out of sheer stubbornness, and didn't really learn very much. I think getting all four gospels, Romans, Genesis and Exodus will give you a great basis for figuring out exactly what you want to study, and also a pretty good idea as to what the church as a whole is about, who this guy is, and what he was trying to accomplish.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. smile  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Anonymous Mosh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 pm
It's not a Book that you can read cover-to-cover, unless you're in to that. It's something to start slowly with. I didn't start reading the entire thing as a 'book' until a few years after I came to Christ. And it's taken me nearly 40 years to truly understand a lot of it. But I didn't have the fellowship that I have now, and was not as close to the Lord.
I would say start with Sunday school, or a Bible study. That can get you started on everyday things that might have more meaning for you. Talk with your pastor, or one of the more seasoned congregation when you have questions. When you start going to church more, there will be more things that come up, and you'll be able to relate to it better and you'll become more familiar with the scriptures. Be careful with those things that are not sound doctrine - that's when it's a good idea to get to know someone that knows a little more of God's Word to help back you up if you aren't able to feel the Holy Spirit when you learn. It's far to easy to be misled, even by those who don't mean to. When you start getting more in to the 'milk of the Word', there will be other things that come up in your life that you'll have questions on. but most of it will not make nearly as much sense until you have the discernment of the Holy Spirit. Once that happens, things will be so much clearer. smile

Anon. Mosh  

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games