Submit

MiaIkumis#1Fan

Dapper Dabbler

7,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 pm
Mmkay, so like, the past 6 years of my life I've had to wear uniforms to school, and during breaks I'd still have school activities, so all of my non-uniform clothes follow the dress code (except for like, one skirt that's too short).

So I went through my clothes and donated all my uniform stuff to my school now that I've graduated, and I realized this is mainly what's in my casual wardrobe:
- jeans
- shorts
- t-shirts. t-shirts everywhere.

o_o''

My activities this summer include having an internship doing office work, working at the swap meet, and possibly going on a few dates. So of course, I want to look nice... but I have no idea how to dress myself because I've had to follow guidelines for the past 6 years. >_<

I know people just say "oh just go look around the mall and see what you like!" but... I have no idea where to start looking. Or even what I'm looking for. I'm so used to only looking for clothes that completely cover my shoulders and cleavage and knees that I have no idea.

Right now I have about 80-ish dollars I could spend, but I want to try and keep it under budget as much as possible... I want to get some sort of casual dress to wear, plus I need to figure out what to wear for my internship, which will be twice a week. (I'm pretty sure my job at the swap meet will be OK with me wearing a shirt and shorts) And maybe a tank top? I haven't worn one since elementary school...

If you gals could offer some advice on stores to visit or just clothing to keep an eye out for? Also... how much are things supposed to cost?^_^'' Like, what's a reasonable price for a casual dress and a tank top? (I don't want some sales person to scam me...)

So yeah, please help me figure out stuff because I'm a shopping noob. :'D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 pm
I say pants to malls. Pants! D:< I'm good with Walmart myself. Cheap, fits fine and I can find really cute stuff. Thrift stores are iffy but I can find stuff.
If you like skirts, you could use that and a nice blouse. They would look good at the office and special dates. Maybe a few dresses too?
Slacks could also go well with those blouses. Getting some pantyhose would be good as well.
If you're a bigger girl like myself, you can look at the maternity section for clothes. I've found some great items. And if you gain/lose weight it still fits. :>
I've also found that there are good men's clothes as well. Just go a size lower than what you're in. (Large would be a Medium, XL would be large, etc.)  

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

Cherry-x-Sorbet

Tipsy Guildswoman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:07 pm
Yes, I agree with Shady. Wal-mart is a great place.
Most of my tank tops are from walmart, as well as scarfs, and hats.
oh! and they have the cutest summer dresses! for like....ehh, $10-$30

Even thrift stores, just double check the clothing to make sure they aren't torn, stained, etc. Heck, I found Southpole jeans there for four bucks. Brand new. Converse? Brand new. Ten bucks. You just have to look.

But, if you must go to the mall...then stay away from brand names like hollister. they are crazy expensive. And Old Navy is only good for jeans, in my opinion.
Yet, I can never find cheap shorts...o.o...anywhere.

Good luck!

Sincerly,
-ThriftyTeenageFinder xD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:35 pm
I am also a clothing noob...
But I'm comfy in my noob clothing xD  

x-Rainbow_Alpacaz-x

The Original Jbird

5,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:08 pm
User Image

I'm a clothing n00b as well!!
We can learn together 4laugh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:45 pm
I know some of you guys were recommending Walmart, I'm against that.
Sure you can find you things, but you really need to choose quality over
quantity. Anything I've purchased from Walmart in the past is long gone.
You can shop in the nicer stores, you just need to shop clearance.
Clearance is your friend ladies! I've purchased so many cute heels,
dresses, shirts, all for fairly cheap. So don't be afraid to check out things
in the mall, but make sure you make a bee line to the clearance section.

Office work you'd probably want a nice dress, or slacks and a nice shirt.
With slacks you can pretty much wear a cute top or a button up. Pencil
skirts are nice, very cute. But most importantly, get clothes that
compliment your body type! Work your way through a nice wardrobe,
don't buy tshirts anymore, make it a goal for nice flattering tops and
pants. Make sure they're fitted to your body, remember, flattering clothes!
I would also suggest getting a nice pair of work heels, nothing too high if
you're not use to it.

If you're still a bit lost, please don't hesitate to pm me!

Wumps

Tipsy Tipper

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:08 pm
I would go to Old Navy for lots of stuff. Most of it can be over priced but they have excellent clearance racks (at least at my stores)

The mall can get dangerous expecially when on a budget; but you just have to focus on looking at only the clearance items.

Do you have a Ross or Marshalls? They have overstock items from name-brand stores, but at a huge discounted price. I got two tops there and together they only cost like $18 bucks.

And don't forget Thrift Stores! Goodwill, Savers, or any other local ones. The thing with those though, is that you have to go as often as you can or miss the good stuff. Also check for dollar days. or when everything is P percent off.

You can also go to Target, their stuff isn't as poorly made as Walmart.  
04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games