Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Alice meets Dorothy?!~ Alice in Wonderland crossover

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:52 pm
Well I never though I'd see it happen, but it finially has. I wanted to share this with you all so we can discuss it , apparently someone has created a play that crosses over two literary classics Alice in wonderland and... The Wizard of Oz.

From the article I found on this:
Quote:

MUHLENBERG COUNTY, KY - Don't miss your chance to see MCTI's Dorothy Meets Alice, a play where two of literature's most unforgettable young ladies get mixed up together in a magical meeting that produces hilarious results.

The cast of familiar characters come to life on stage, in a whole new light: the Cowardly Lion, the White Rabbit, the Tin Man, the Mad Hatter, the Scarecrow, the Dormouse, the Queen and the Witch from those enduring classics The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.

This fun-filled romp follows Alice and Dorothy and their coteries as they try to unscramble their stories with the help of a contemporary young lad who started the whole thing to begin with when he put off a book report until the very last minute.

The basis is that the worlds of Alice and Dorthy get mixed up because of a boy who puts off a book report, an the play is them trying to fix this mix up.

So Lets discuss

What do you think of this play?
Is it a good idea to cross over literary classics such as these two?
If you were forced to , what would you cross Alice in Wonderland with ?  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:41 pm
To be honest, it sounds like the premise of a bad fanfic. XD But I can't get the link to work for me to read more, so my opinion is null and void. o3o  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:38 am
I have to agree with you Marchy, it sounds like a premise for a really bad fanfiction more than it does a play. But sadly its the premise for an actual play.

I can't get the link to work right either.. but basically the link was a description of the play..  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm
I can't clickity the link either... Google might procure some information?

But anyway, methinks there are two ways this could go. One is that it could in fact be like a live-theatre version of a crossover fanfiction. It is entirely possible, and if the writer isn't particularly skilled in doing so then it could very well be terrible.

The other depends on a solid cast, of course, but more importantly in this context, a good playwright. I think that the concept has the potential to turn into something pretty awesome-- given enough witty exchanges and literary references, plus staying true to the characters, of course. (;

The Night Faery
Captain

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:01 am
There I fixed it .

But I think you're right marchy, to me it sounds like a live action version of a crossover fanfiction that's been put on the small stage for I guess a college or something.

However if the cast is strong, then it could possibly be a really good play. I've never heard though of crossing over Alice in Wonderland with anything. Usually when people do a play of Alice in Wonderland they do the actual play or an adaption.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm
I smell an anti-procrastination moral in this play, and my delicate sensibilities object to it!

Hmm... gah, I just don't know if I could get past the 'fanfiction' mindset for this. I mean, sitting here forcing myself to think about it, it sounds hilarious. I can just picture a little boy trying to fake his book report and getting the two stories all mixed up. I feel like if this play was done entirely around children, it would just be a mosh pit of adorable:

"No, stewpid! The white wabbit gows in the odder play! STEWPID! >3<"

XD

But I have a feeling it wouldn't be about children, and I have a feeling that would bother me.

I think another thing that bothers me about this concept is that both Oz and Wonderland are extensively rich worlds with characters tailored to fit in them and that work in them. With so much to work with, it seems like it would be clumsy to just force them together. @__@ Gaaah, I hope this ends up online somewhere, where I can watch it. XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:22 am
Yeah it would be cute if this was tailored to little kids, but I don't think it is which makes me wonder why they would make it not for kids.

I have to agree with you again on the fact that both Oz and Wonderland are very rich worlds created by their author who put a lot of detail into their worlds. Mixing the worlds I think would mean making some of the characters be OOC (out of character) which isn't right.  
All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games