Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
Critiques and Suggestions~Help me make my art better!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hows My Art?
  Awesome, you shouldn"t change anything! (wishful thinking)
  Purty Good, here's a tip...
  Okay, this is what went wrong
  You kind of have a long way to go *list*
  Suckish
View Results

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:48 pm
so basically i'm asking for any *constructive* critiques that would help me make my art better for the future
Thank you for looking >w<

traditional:
http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/empressluna/DrawnByMe/
CG:
http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/empressluna/DrawnByMe/CGArt/  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:43 am
i like your art biggrin your linework is pretty high quality, so maybe you could work on your colors to take your art to the next level? be bolder with shadows and highlights when it suits the pic, perhaps biggrin nice work!  

Rezikka

IRL Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm
Rezikka
i like your art biggrin your linework is pretty high quality, so maybe you could work on your colors to take your art to the next level? be bolder with shadows and highlights when it suits the pic, perhaps biggrin nice work!

thank you for the tip! You're the only one... I think i noticed you used markers? I'm thinking about trying them, do you have any suggestions of what kind to buy?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:11 pm
empress-luna
Rezikka

thank you for the tip! You're the only one... I think i noticed you used markers? I'm thinking about trying them, do you have any suggestions of what kind to buy?

you mean the only one who likes your art? i'm new, but perhaps people are not so active on this particular part of the forums... i know loads of people would like it x)
yeap copic markers! the thing with markers is that they're pretty expensive... copics cost me about six singapore dollars a pop. o__o you need quite a wide range of colors and shades to shade nicely, too, so its quite the investment. over like 5 years i've accumulated 72 markers through abusing my birthday and christmas rights xDD;; maybe if you've got a friend with markers willing to let you try their markers, it would be easier to get a feel of them? i get fierce protective of mine though sweatdrop they're my babies, hahaha! or if not, get some shades of just one color (for example, blue: lets say 1 darker, 2 intermediate and 2 lighter shades to blend [#cool shadow is the lightest blue/green there is, i think]), and use those on a pic. you'll get an idea of what coloring with markers is like, without having to buy too many. its also a good idea to put scrap paper under the paper you're coloring on, because the ink tends to seep, unless you're using thicker paper like watercolor paper. oh and do make sure that the ink you use for your lineart is alcohol proof, since copics are alcohol based and might make the ink smudge. sad
i hope that helped :3  

Rezikka

IRL Prophet

9,750 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:52 pm
Rezikka
i hope that helped :3

i meant the only response to my thread ^w^
but it helped very much
yeah, im looking into getting a tablet, maybe a combined christmas/birthday thing . All my digital right now is on my ipod sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm
These are really good! =]

Just one thing I can see though is that the poses look a little stiff. Maybe try gesture drawing, before you flesh out your characters' frames?  

half infinite

Pesky Curse

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 pm
AngelicSpade

Just one thing I can see though is that the poses look a little stiff. Maybe try gesture drawing, before you flesh out your characters' frames?

gesture drawing?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:11 am
empress-luna
AngelicSpade

gesture drawing?

Gesture drawing is drawing of human figures in a rapid manner - usually takes at least 30 seconds or so I'd say but no more than 2 minutes. It trains your mind for drawing only the crucial structure and form and structure of a human pose or motion, as well as 'loosening up' to avoid 'stiff' drawings styles.

In a way, it's like how an athlete warms up and does stretches before doing sports.

You can do it with a model in real life or online:

http://www.posemaniacs.com/?pagename=thirtysecond
http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html

I suppose you could also go to a park and sit on a bench or go on the street with a sketch book and try sketching the basic forms of people who walk by - trying to sketch people who are moving forces you to draw quickly xd

Your drawings are pretty good - I love the colouring.
Good job biggrin  

Philip-27

RockabillyBabe101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am
Wow your art is amazing! It makes me a little nostalgic because it reminds of a time when I drew drawings similar to you, and don't think I'm rude because it makes me proud to see your art as it is now. I know how you're going to grow and develop your skills so that they surpass any others. I kinda feel like Headmaster Cross from Vampire Knight and you're my little Yuki crying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 am
It's really gooood<3
I noticed that the poses look a bit stiff too and also I didnt see too much with perspective. Might wanna work on that too.

Good luck c:  

Unicorn Slaughter

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:37 pm
i like your art. and i can't find anything wrong to help you out on. both styles are down very well. keep up the good work. :3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 pm
RedTwilightAlice13
Wow your art is amazing! It makes me a little nostalgic because it reminds of a time when I drew drawings similar to you, and don't think I'm rude because it makes me proud to see your art as it is now. I know how you're going to grow and develop your skills so that they surpass any others. I kinda feel like Headmaster Cross from Vampire Knight and you're my little Yuki crying

In no way was any offense taken, I thank you for your praises, sensei *bows*  

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 pm
Unicorn Slaughter
It's really gooood<3
I noticed that the poses look a bit stiff too and also I didnt see too much with perspective. Might wanna work on that too.

Good luck c:

Thanks for your critique! It's funny how you pointed out the two main things I'm having trouble with, flow and perspective. But never fear! I strive to overcome my adversaries wielding pen and computer!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 pm
xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx
i like your art. and i can't find anything wrong to help you out on. both styles are down very well. keep up the good work. :3

Thank you, you're DANG good yourself ^w^  

empress-luna

6,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Flatterer 200
Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items