Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Forum

Back to Guilds

Death Note Forum - Come join us for Death Note information, graphics, screenshots, quotes, artwork, news, role play, games, fun and prizes! 

Tags: Death Note, Death Note Forum, Death Note Role Play, Death Note Anime, Death Note Fans 

Reply Death Note Q&A
Why such a GIANT Fanbase

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Relatively Crazy

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm
Why does Matt have such a giagantic fanbase for only being in the anime and manga so little?

ps: I do really like Matt, I'm just curious why he has such a large fanbase.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:24 pm
He's a really 'cool' character ... I think his character caught on a bit like the potato chip meme ... his death scene was very memorable and his character looks pretty cool too.

also he's quite easy to cosplay .... He makes a good crossplay - a lot of girls look good as Matt.  

ceeloomean

Relatively Crazy

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm
ceeloomean
He's a really 'cool' character ... I think his character caught on a bit like the potato chip meme ... his death scene was very memorable and his character looks pretty cool too.

also he's quite easy to cosplay .... He makes a good crossplay - a lot of girls look good as Matt.

Ya, but what's the potato chip meme? And a lot of girls look good cosplaying matt?

Lol anyway, I do like Matt. He might be one of my favorites between L and Light (Light for complicated reasons, though my least favorite due to other reasons)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 am
Relatively Crazy
Why does Matt have such a giagantic fanbase for only being in the anime and manga so little?

ps: I do really like Matt, I'm just curious why he has such a large fanbase.

It's because he's so sexy wink  

Coniglietto

Generous Fairy

12,700 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100

K021 N1V3K

8,600 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 am
~ Because he looks awesome and has an interesting personality.
Even though he's only in like 4 panels, he's epic.
I guess more people took notice of him than expected.
I remember thinking he was awesome when he first showed up but I had no idea he'd become so popular.
~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am
Relatively Crazy
ceeloomean

Ya, but what's the potato chip meme? And a lot of girls look good cosplaying matt?

Lol anyway, I do like Matt. He might be one of my favorites between L and Light (Light for complicated reasons, though my least favorite due to other reasons)

I think he means the whole,
"I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!"
Of course I can be mistaken.  

Nears toy army

Relatively Crazy

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 pm
Nears toy army
Relatively Crazy
ceeloomean

I think he means the whole,
"I'll take a potato chip... and eat it!"
Of course I can be mistaken.

Ahhh  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm
I don't completely know... I personally don't have much of an opinion about him. =/
Maybe it has something to do with how he died? Or his character design, it's interesting.

AlmostRulingTheWorld
Crew

StrawberryRapture

Omnipresent Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:11 pm
i really have no idea sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:37 pm
He's a Wammy kid, he's got a bitchin' fashion sense, and he's the only one Mello shows unambiguous affection for. (He clearly cares about L, but "affection" may or may not be the right word. Anyway, L doesn't piggyback on Mello for his fangirls. :p)

Still, though, as far as minor characters go, Namikawa deserves much more credit. =[  

DomaDoma

Relatively Crazy

5,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 am
DomaDoma
He's a Wammy kid, he's got a bitchin' fashion sense, and he's the only one Mello shows unambiguous affection for. (He clearly cares about L, but "affection" may or may not be the right word. Anyway, L doesn't piggyback on Mello for his fangirls. :p)

Still, though, as far as minor characters go, Namikawa deserves much more credit. =[

So true, everything, escpecially Namikawa.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:48 am
I don't know...one random thing i will say is, he's very easy to notice, like your eyes just look in the direction of the "cool guy wearing stripes and goggles." Since people don't know much about his personality, except that he loves games and smoking.
The next most striking thing is his appearance. Im not saying he's hot "blah, blah blah...." just pointing out that most death note character fashion choices are cool. Takeshi Obata did say he liked to draw characters with cool clothing, in "How to read 13" Look at Mello and Matt, they got style. Even Misa. Although
this point im making about their clothing is the least important of all the other points stated above about why Matt's popular, but you see where im coming from.  

Dynaswhore

Wheezing Genius

6,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100

dykno_soar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:34 pm
Personally, I think it's because Matt is pretty much a blank slate. He has certain characteristics that are attractive (his cool clothes, nonchalant attitude, his random but awesome loyalty to Mello) and then people can make the rest of Matt into whatever the heck they want. They can make up almost his entire life and personality, which doubles the attractiveness levels, and then add in the huge percentage of yaoi fangirls in the Death Note fandom, and you got yourself a really shippable dude. Then the shipping factors add to his popularity.

And then, canon-wise, he was totally cool in every single panel he appeared in. Then he had the worst/best death of the series. (His last words are memorable, are they not?) People then remember Matt because his death was so unfair, or he had so little screentime and then all of a sudden, he just dies! In the anime, people just see a really attractive character who hung out with Mello and then BAM, he's gone! What the heck just happened? They look up the character and start the obsession. XD

Most of his popularity stems from yaoi fangirls, I believe. Matt's also fun to analyze since there's not much directly shown about him. :]  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:28 pm
Well in the manga he actually played a good role. As for the anime, it's because so little was ever shown about him, and it seemed like he was going to become another major role in the show. Its truthfully a shame he didn't.  

The_Assassin_of_The_Mist

X_xxAngelCHAOSxx_X

Dangerous Bloodsucker

5,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm
i don't really know, i'm sure there are a couple different reasons for why he has such a large fanbase out there but i'm clueless about them sweatdrop  
Death Note Q&A

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games