Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Females only - Period. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 am
So, I have lost 65 - 70 pounds. I am struggling to get the rest off.

Since losing the weight my periods have been horrible. I can barely get out of the bed in the beginning.

I had read before that drinking plenty of water and lots of exercise helps periods. I also read that active girls / women have less pain during their period.

If you have lost a good amount of weight, did your periods get worse or better? Or did they remain the same?

PS...I did see my ob/gyn and all was normal - thankfully.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 pm
Fat cells have a very bizarre relationship with estrogen production. When you gain or loose a lot of weight, expect to have menstrual problems.

It will go away naturally once you stay at a certain weight long enough.

Almost Poetic

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:57 pm
The only real difference in my period between now and when I was about 50 pounds heavier is that my cycles are slightly shorter now. I used to run around 30-32 days and now my cycles are about 28 days long.

There is a BIG difference, though, in my cramping and pain levels when I'm running regularly. I get a lot of back and hip pain, but when I was following a running program (I was doing Couch 2 5k) I had almost no hip pain and few, if any, cramps. My last cycle wasn't too bad and I'd been walking semi-regularly. I think the biggest factor for me is I have to make sure that I'm exercising before I start PMSing or bleeding.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 am
Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate it.

I am the opposite of the post just above. When I was 70 pounds heavier my periods only lasted a few days, bleeding was minimal, and I had no pain.

My ob/gyn has put me on BC to see if it helps. Wish me luck with that.  

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:47 am
I've only lost about 20 pounds but there isn't a difference with my periods. I still want to lose about 40 more so maybe in the future my periods will be different.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:36 pm
I've lost 49 lbs, but my periods are still crazy painful, just a bit shorter.
The birth control should help, I remember when I was on it I didn't have many periods unless I took the red-brown colored pills. That was years ago, but they did help.
Either way, good luck~

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150

Atzi_100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm
I lost aabout 40-45 lbs and my period got heaver, and like you a lot more pain. I started to eat bannanas regulary it helped the pain and the cramping.
I also cut out:
caffeen ( pop, coffee, and anything with huge amounts) and all sugar's

I put myself on a running "program" i run once a week for like 10 blocks
(Really far where i live. the middle of no where...litteraly) at the start of my period.

it worked for me. i think that everyone just needs to find out what works for them. everyones diffrent, remember that, no one will have the exact same issues...lol but if it gets worse you might need to talk to your doctor(s)

good luck!

heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 am
Atzi_100
I lost aabout 40-45 lbs and my period got heaver, and like you a lot more pain. I started to eat bannanas regulary it helped the pain and the cramping.
I also cut out:
caffeen ( pop, coffee, and anything with huge amounts) and all sugar's

I put myself on a running "program" i run once a week for like 10 blocks
(Really far where i live. the middle of no where...litteraly) at the start of my period.

it worked for me. i think that everyone just needs to find out what works for them. everyones diffrent, remember that, no one will have the exact same issues...lol but if it gets worse you might need to talk to your doctor(s)

good luck!

heart

Thanks for the tips. I don't drink caffeine often (maybe once a month if that). Stuff with sugar is a no-no for me being diabetic. And I haven't had a banana since starting my diet because that is one of the fruits I was told to avoid.

As for running. I jog and lift weights. I can't do either one at the start of my period. Jogging makes me feel so much worse during my period. The cramps can start to fade and I jog and the return.  

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

ThePuffinMaster

9,650 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm
Im only 114 and yet most times,it even hurts to move. I don't know how you could jog while in so much pain.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 am
Almost Poetic
Fat cells have a very bizarre relationship with estrogen production. When you gain or loose a lot of weight, expect to have menstrual problems.

It will go away naturally once you stay at a certain weight long enough.

This. My periods actually got more regular since I started losing weight, but my cramps got a lot worse after the first 10 lbs. Once you reach a goal weight and stay there, your body should adjust and go back to normal. In the meantime, I do find water and exercise help to reduce the effect of cramps.  

Majnooni

rahna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm
I wouldn't really know, considering I've never been heavy enough to lose even 10 pounds. If cramps and stuff are less painful for women who are active, than I'll be as active as I can be. Mine are so bad they make me sick, and I can't move.

As of late, Excedrin has been having less of an effect...I wish I knew why.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:14 pm
Sorry about my hiatus, but I'm back.

As for the cramping and menstrual cycle, just be glad you have it. Until I started losing weight and dropping sizes, I had always found it odd that I wasn't having a period. The longest I went without a period was three years.

Then I went to my doctor about losing weight and she asked me about my period problem. We (parents and I) later learned that my body was producing too much testosterone - which explains the chest hair I have between my breasts and my facial hair. Not only that, I have poly-cycstic overian syndrome. The third charmer, because I hadn't had a period in three years, I was running the risk of my uterine lining building up and developing uterine cancer.

The doctor's solution, birth control and losing weight. I've been on the birth control of years, and I'm finally having regular periods.

I don't want to hear anyone complain about their periods. It's either a period or a brush with uterine cancer. I'll take the period any day over uterine cancer.

P.S. - Don't even talk to me about being able to concieve children. It probably will never happen naturally with my condition. So it's either fertility treatments or adoption. crying  

Lorelei Yeager

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm
Hannah Yeager

I don't want to hear anyone complain about their periods.

Great way to be empathetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Lady Kayura
Hannah Yeager

I don't want to hear anyone complain about their periods.

Great way to be empathetic.

I'm sorry, but I'm almost 28 years old, so bitching about my period seems...strange at my age. It's not that I don't care, but when you whine about how heavy a flow is or how light a flow is, I always keep thinking that you should be greatful you get them. As someone who didn't have a period for 3 years, I came pretty darn close to the possiblity of getting uterine cancer if my lining didn't shed.

I say this because there is a good reason why periods exist. I just don't want one of the girls here come on the site and break the news that she has uterine cancer because she doesn't like the fact that her lining isn't sheding the way she wants to.

Periods are good. Uterine Cancer is not. My biggest hope is that no female in this guild has to get that news broken to her.

I've said my peice, so I'll leave it at that.  

Lorelei Yeager

Novice Writer

25,275 Points
  • A Novel Idea 0
  • Tree's the Season 100
  • Generous 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 pm
Hannah Yeager
I'm sorry, but I'm almost 28 years old, so bitching about my period seems...strange at my age. It's not that I don't care, but when you whine about how heavy a flow is or how light a flow is, I always keep thinking that you should be greatful you get them. As someone who didn't have a period for 3 years, I came pretty darn close to the possiblity of getting uterine cancer if my lining didn't shed.

I say this because there is a good reason why periods exist. I just don't want one of the girls here come on the site and break the news that she has uterine cancer because she doesn't like the fact that her lining isn't sheding the way she wants to.

Periods are good. Uterine Cancer is not. My biggest hope is that no female in this guild has to get that news broken to her.

I've said my peice, so I'll leave it at that.

Are you the OP? Because if you are, this all makes a ton of sense. But if you aren't.. what if the OP isn't 28?

And there's a slight jump from ow my period hurts to omg the big C. There's a lot of other things that a painful period could be. You saying you don't want to hear someone's complaining just writes them off. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but that came off as very rude.

The OP posted this thread because she needed to talk about it. Perhaps it's a good idea to not tell her 'no, don't talk about it because I don't think you should'.

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games