Help for wavy/curly hair?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm
Okay, so my hair is naturally curly. If I brush it it's still wavy, and sometimes it's only wavy instead of curly.
Anyways. xD That's not the point.
My scalp gets oily a lot, because I mean it's normal for people with curly hair.
And OMFG it looks wild when it's humid or when I blowdry it, especially if I brush it. xD
But, I recently saw somewhere that regular shampoos/conditioners are bad for my type of hair,
something about the silicones and sulfates in the conditioners and shampoos and it damaging my hair.
Is there any way I can get rid of the oily scalp and frizz and damage and make my hair smoothe/silky/not as dry?
I don't use heat on it by the way unless I blowdry it or I'm messing with the straightener which is rare.
I'm not really looking to straighten it, I like it the way it is (when it behaves xD) but it really bugs me. D:
Also, my hair is shoulder length if it matters. o O
And I'd prefer if it's cheap, but I'm willing to try anything as long as my mom is willing to buy it since I'm only 13 and she has to pay for it. :XP:  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm
I have thick, wavy, frizzy hair.I still haven't found that one shampoo and conditioner that works best on my hair, but I do know a few things:

- Do NOT thin or layer it!!! It makes it poofier and frizzier...
- Those permanent straightener treatments work ONLY UNTIL your hair gets wet. Then it poofs back out and gets wavy again.
- Don't use a hairbrush! Combs work better. Brushes seem to frizz it out a little more. *Make sure to use a sturdy comb*
- Don't use head and shoulders shampoo/conditioner, it doesn't help.
- If it's humid outside, I find that wearing a hood helps partially. It doesn't frizz out as much if you're wearing something over it.

Hope this helped a little. smile  

Ultra Kitty Girl

8,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Survivor 150

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:10 pm
Ultra Kitty Girl
I have thick, wavy, frizzy hair.I still haven't found that one shampoo and conditioner that works best on my hair, but I do know a few things:

- Do NOT thin or layer it!!! It makes it poofier and frizzier...
- Those permanent straightener treatments work ONLY UNTIL your hair gets wet. Then it poofs back out and gets wavy again.
- Don't use a hairbrush! Combs work better. Brushes seem to frizz it out a little more. *Make sure to use a sturdy comb*
- Don't use head and shoulders shampoo/conditioner, it doesn't help.
- If it's humid outside, I find that wearing a hood helps partially. It doesn't frizz out as much if you're wearing something over it.

Hope this helped a little. smile

I've never heard of thinning but I've seen people with my type of hair that have gotten it layered so I've avoided that. xD
I didn't know that. O:
Didn't know that either. xD I'll make sure get one next time we go to the store, all of the combs we have are the little ones.
They make stuff for curly hair? All I knew of was the dandruff and straight hair kinds. o.o
I'll try that next time it gets humid outside if I can find a hoodie. o:

It did, thank you. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 pm
I have very thick, beachy-wave hair. For the most part it behaves, but it has it's days... XD I've learned a few tricks to dealing with it over the years.

- Use a comb instead of a brush. They still get rid of any tangles, but they're kinder on curly hair.

- Sulfate-free shampoo is a wonderful thing. I use L'Oreal Everpure, myself. Nature's Gate is also a promising (and inexpensive) brand. They just recently started to make their products sulfate-free. Same goes for conditioner. My hair has been a lot less dry and frizzy since I ditched the sulfates.

- Get into the habit of skipping a day or two between washings. It won't be stripped of it's natural oils as often, and in return your hair shouldn't get oily as fast. If you do wash your hair daily, it'll take it a while to get used to this new routine, so expect your hair to be greasier at first. In time it'll calm down.

- Invest in an anti-frizz serum. Giovanni makes a good one; Walmart and other stores carry Giovanni products in with the all-natural bath products. It works pretty well for me, and I live in some serious humidity. =)

- If you heat-style your hair, you may want to find a good protecting spray or something for your hair. Since curly hair is prone to being dry and frizzy for every reason in the book. I took it a step further, and stopped heat-styling my hair entirely. It's been years since it's even seen a blow dryer. XD

- Occasional use of a hair masque or deep conditioning treatment, never hurts. There are a ton of great recipes for natural treatments online, that you can make at home. The most popular one seems to be a combination of honey and olive oil.  

Ophrysia

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm
You could try getting shampoo that treats oily hair or curly hair. I specifically like Redken. It makes my hair so soft and feel really light. When my hair was long, I always got long layers with a V cut in the back to prevent my hair from fro-ing out and having a bell shape. The V cut really controlled the shape. Maybe also if you cut your hair, ask them to texturize it so it's not too bulky on the sides and back. It really helps controlling wild and crazy curls. Right now, my hair is above my shoulders, kinda around my neck area but it's not that short. I cut my hair a few days ago, now I have medium layers and she texturized the hell out of it and cut my hair with a really nice shape. I still have remnants of a relaxer chemical I used last year to straighten my hair so right now, my hair is wavy. I kinda miss my curls.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:30 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.x i D a r k i e x
My step mom has that issue. = She switches conditioner and shampoo once a month. Rawr :3

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
xBlaze All Dayx <3

x i D a r k i e x

10,100 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items