Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:58 pm
Well, the Sundering has come about full circle with Gav Thorpe finishing off the trilogy of war, betrayal, murder and brotherhood portrayed in the Time of Legends series, The Sundering. If you have been following the trilogy like myself, or are a fan of High Elves or Dark Elves, or just a fan of the Warhammer background in general, then this is a book for you.

Caledor, over the span of more than twenty-five years tells the story regarding the rise of Imrik, from Dragon Prince of Caledor, to his crowning of the Phoenix King and the changing of his name, and how he battles the hated enemies, the Druchii. As well as focusing on Imrik, Thorpe also ties up loose ends from the books Malekith, and the Shadow King. He even introduces the reader to new characters that had been established in the lore of High Elves, and he gives us an insight into the creation of Malekith's Armour of Midnight and the one that made it.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about Caledor was the way in which Gav Thorpe captured the struggles and the emotions of every elf in the book, from Caledor himself, to his family, as well as Morathi, and Malekith after he was spat out of the Flame of Asuryan. The action comes thick and fast, with dragon against dragon, elf against elf, and even the Treemen and Dryads of Avelorn fighting back against the Druchii invaders. Every battle scene flows through the pages and leaves you wanting more.
Thankfully the book isn't all action, Thorpe has managed to inject light hearted humour in small snippets that add to the depth of the characters and Princes of the High Elves.

I am pleased to say that Caledor has wrapped up the trilogy in a nice and neat package, and its definitely one to buy when it is released in the shops. With his success in the Sundering series, I cannot wait to see how Gav Thorpe approaches the Vampire Wars series in the next set of Time of Legends books. I would also like to see him take on more fiction from both High Elves and Dark Elves set in the Warhammer World, much like Dan Abnett, Graham Mcneill and William King.

My rating: *****  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:45 pm
I'm halfway through right now and it's good stuff. Even better news is that Gav told me he's finally become one of the A-lister writers for BL, so we can expect a whole lot more where that came from.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:21 pm
I'm really hoping that he continues the storyline of Alith Anar after the Sundering, him taking his war against Malekith, and possibly a continuation with some of the characters from the story.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:28 pm
He will, I mentioned that in the "interview" I had with him when he was holding a signing session in Amsterdam last January. He made mention of doing spin-offs for the Sundering Saga, in particular Alith Anar.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Sissy Fairy

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:00 pm
When I was at Black Library live he told me he would be working on spin off books, but he didn't mention who to me. Still, he would be crazy not to write about Alith Anar. There is a lot of room to work with and to create a history of the character.  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games