Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Non Star Trek Discussion Forum
Would anyone be interested in taking a survey?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

4rtg5t54
  5ty45y45
View Results

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 am
I need fifty people to take this for a school assignment.
Don't worry, you don't have to give away information like email addresses or phone numbers.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/227JQ3S
Also, send this survey to people who might be interested.
Thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm
I was all ready to complete your survey.
However, I object to this survey-
it is obviously SLANTED and is ANTAGONISTIC to one point of view.

Examples:
"4. Can you accept the fact that being gay is not a choice?"
"5. Do you think that being straight is a choice?"

A FAIR survey would have used the phrasing for the second question for both questions.

"FACT?"
You're beginning with the preconception that something is a "FACT" without having at least provided any evidence. Would it shock you to discover some people have assembled considerable evidence that this "FACT" is nothing of the kind?

Furthermore, you have left only the 2 extremes for each subject. Question 4 is worth an intelligent discussion, with lots of points of view, and evidence from lots of positions.

What does it mean to "have a choice" about something? Is it still a choice if experience, education,. etc have PREDISPOSED you to one position? Is that no longer a "choice"? I can't even tell where I fit on your 2 color spectrum since those aren't addressed. I don't see anything fairly representing my point of view ANYWHERE in here.

"2. How do your parents feel about the gay community?
They are fine with them
They are homophobic"

No other possibilities beyond "indifferent" and "hostile".
Furthermore, I object to the word "homophobic" itself. It's used to mean things that distort language usage.

Let's say a man walks down the street, and another man flirts with him. the first man begins his response by punching the second man. He has done this because the whole concept of homosexual males SCARES HIM to a pathological degree, and he can't deal with homosexuals in an adult manner. THAT man is HOMOPHOBIC. It's the same principle for all PHOBIAS. If someone has an irrational fear of snakes, they are ophidiphobic, and have a PHOBIA. if someone doesn't like snakes, that's not a person with a PHOBIA. If someone is indifferent to clowns, they don't care about them, If they don't LIKE clowns. they dislike them. If the sight of them fills them with an irrational fear, they have a PHOBIA- coulrophobia; Perfectly healthy people (otherwise) can have a PHOBIA- and I know a few that do. Similarly, a Democrat may dislike anything Republican and distrust it, or a Republican can dislike and distrust anything Democratic, but relatively few voters have a PHOBIA about another political party.

However, some people have decided that to disagree with anything in a homosexual agenda means they should be defamed with the label "homoPHOBIC", which is a gross distortion of reality. Discussions of sexuality and gender identity deserve adults approaching them in a rational manner and treating all participants with a degree of mutual respect. Slapping labels on others-especially inaccurate ones- is the antithesis of this. It's a good choice if one wants to paint oneself as a victim, and one's position as a victimized one- because attacking dissenters will generate antipathy and disharmony- which means it now LOOKS like they're hostile to your position, and you can now use that as a PRETEXT, an EXCUSE to claim victimization- and dismiss the words of anyone disagreeing with you. That's utterly dishonest, but people rarely let that stop them when they have an agenda.

"10. How do you feel about the gay community?
I am fine with them
I am homophobic"

There we go again.
What do you mean by "the gay community"? I know what "gay" means in this context (homosexual), but "community" is undefined.

Do you mean "how do you feel when you encounter homosexuals?"
I may say "I'm indifferent to them" or "Depends on the individual, same as anyone else."

Do you mean "How do you feel about going to school alongside homosexuals, or working alongside homosexuals?"
I'd give the same answers. I've been quite friendly with a number of homosexuals I've known, and worked harmoniously alongside them.

Do you mean "How do you feel about the political organizations that advance a 'gay agenda' and interact with society?"
Now, THERE I'd say I dislike them. I'm well aware that they've pushed lies to the public, even to the degree that they were OBVIOUS lies and they still pushed to get the public to believe them. I also find their methods break both the law and conduct acceptable to modern society. I don't like ANYONE getting harrassed no matter WHO they are, so when they recommend harassing anyone who votes against them on an issue, I can't support that. I say the way to win a discussion is to raise voices, and marshall evidence, then present it and show your side is the one the truth is on.

So, how should someone like me approach even the LAST question?
I can't HONESTLY approach it and answer it either way.

If the purpose of the survey was to try to say "lots of people are homoPHOBIC", then you've phrased the survey exactly as it will benefit you.
If it was meant for more rational discussion, I'll say it's poorly phrased and you should completely rewrite it.
(If you want to and need help, I will volunteer to assist you in phrasing all the questions in a more neutral fashion. I DO recommend allowing for more than just 2 choices for each of those, if the software will permit it. And if it doesn't, I recommend finding software that WILL.)  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am
Okay, thank you.
I guess I'm not really good at making surveys.
I've read over some of the questions and made edits.
There is also a new question at the bottom.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 pm
Thank you.
I'm glad you're taking this seriously.

Personally, I still don't think the updated survey is optimal, but it's a huge improvement over the "1.0" version of the survey, so to speak.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 pm
I would like to remind everyone that there is no Radical Gay Agenda outside Marriage rights and Adoption rights. Which really isn't that Radical to begin with.  
Non Star Trek Discussion Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games