Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Forum

Back to Guilds

Death Note Forum - Come join us for Death Note information, graphics, screenshots, quotes, artwork, news, role play, games, fun and prizes! 

Tags: Death Note, Death Note Forum, Death Note Role Play, Death Note Anime, Death Note Fans 

Reply Death Note Discussion
Who is the protagonist? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who do you think is the good guy?
Light
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Team L
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 19

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:48 am
I know that Light is the main character, but he shows signs of being a villain... And L was against him, but he clearly wanted to save the world which means he's a good guy, right?
So who is the protagonist? Light, or L/Near/Mello?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 pm
I think that was part of the point. The battle between good and evil with obvious sides is the stuff of fairy tales. Both Light and L were morally flawed characters. It's like instead of being black and white, they were both shades of gray. In the end, I think Light was the bad guy, willing to sacrifice anyone who got in his way. But this doesn't mean that L is necessarily the man on the white horse, either. The fact that the fans can debate over which was the bad guy shows that neither one was free from blame, nor were they all bad.

If you go by the rule that the good guys always win, L and his successors were the protagonists. But that rule is also up for debate in the moral argument of the story. I don't think this question has a definitive answer.  

Akiko-infinity

Benevolent Hellraiser

21,450 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hunter 50

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:06 pm
Akiko-infinity
I think that was part of the point. The battle between good and evil with obvious sides is the stuff of fairy tales. Both Light and L were morally flawed characters. It's like instead of being black and white, they were both shades of gray. In the end, I think Light was the bad guy, willing to sacrifice anyone who got in his way. But this doesn't mean that L is necessarily the man on the white horse, either. The fact that the fans can debate over which was the bad guy shows that neither one was free from blame, nor were they all bad.

If you go by the rule that the good guys always win, L and his successors were the protagonists. But that rule is also up for debate in the moral argument of the story. I don't think this question has a definitive answer.

Light started the series with good intentions, but toward the end, he just got selfish stare
I was glad that L's successors won, but there is an alternate ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8fM2FBL_A  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:12 pm
In my opinion L was the protagonist because without your help or Mello or Near could have solved the case  

Sonrais Ishime

Romantic Muse

10,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100

Saiisawsome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm
If you ask me, even though Light was a total baka in books 1-12, he did show some sides of being good. L on the other hand also was totally on the good side, because he wanted Light dead, for murder. If I was Light, I wouldn't have killed off so many criminals. thats what caused Light's death when Light was only 23. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:26 pm
I believe this has no real answer, for it all depends on whom you ask and what point of view you look at it as.  

Nights of Music

Seeker

kitten of dreams13

Timid Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 pm
I first started out thinking Light was doing a good thing, but once his intentions went bad and just started killing cops. I went to L as the protagonist.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 pm
Light is pretty clearly the protagonist of Death Note. Just as Macbeth is pretty clearly the protagonist of Macbeth. Protagonists don't have to be the good guy.  

DomaDoma

FoxMarcello

4,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:04 am
DomaDoma
Light is pretty clearly the protagonist of Death Note. Just as Macbeth is pretty clearly the protagonist of Macbeth. Protagonists don't have to be the good guy.

that is a good point!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:13 am
I'm on team L because Light wasted his time and effort killing criminals who were already incarcerated. Though I don't think he REALLY cracked until the death of Lind L. Taylor. Sure he was also a criminal, but Light didn't know that! Also, who is Light to judge who "regretted their crimes" or what circumstances were "justified"? Did he just assume nobody lies to the media? or that no criminal is secretly seeking mental help?

Besides, who can hate someone who eats sugar and looks like a panda???
User ImageUser Image  

FoxMarcello

4,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

ButterflyStorm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm
A protagonist is defined as the main character, regardless of whether they are heroic or not heroic. Since Death Note centres around Light, he is the protagonist. L, rather than being an antagonist, I would describe as being the deuteroganist.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 pm
Nights of Death
I believe this has no real answer, for it all depends on whom you ask and what point of view you look at it as.

You are quite wise 3nodding  

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Nights of Music

Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 am
Clover_IceQueen
Nights of Death

You are quite wise 3nodding

Ha ha, I do have my moments >w<  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 am
FoxMarcello
DomaDoma

that is a good point!

I agree that is a great point!  

Akarui kishi Zane

ii Matts Shinigami

5,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm
I ask my teacher kinda the same thing.
(Lol, I'm bring my Death Note craziness to school..)

If you understood what 'protagonist' was, the answer would be simple.
Protagonist means, the main character.
So Light was the protagonist.

But since L/Mello/Near/Matt were helping the world, doesn't necessarily mean they're the protagonist.

It's just that the anime was in a "villain's" point of view.  
Death Note Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff