Welcome to Gaia! ::

Death Note Forum

Back to Guilds

Death Note Forum - Come join us for Death Note information, graphics, screenshots, quotes, artwork, news, role play, games, fun and prizes! 

Tags: Death Note, Death Note Forum, Death Note Role Play, Death Note Anime, Death Note Fans 

Reply Death Note Discussion
something Near the truth: Near discussion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite toy of Near's?
Dice
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Transformers
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Finger puppets
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Tarot Cards
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Dominos
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Puzzle
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Darts
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Toy gun
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (please tell me what I missed)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Akiko-infinity

Benevolent Hellraiser

21,450 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:44 pm
Okay, I've talked to alot of people about Near. And read alot of fanfics. Near has been portrayed as everything from an introverted boy who didn't know how to reach out to people, to a cold machine who played Mello like a fiddle simply for victory. What do you guys think of Near specifically? And try to be more original than 'oh, he's just a copy of L' please. He's not, and I'll argue the point if you want, but I want real opinions on Near's personality.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 pm
I really didn't like Near for the longest time, but he kind of grew on me... but mostly because I realized we were kind of similar. In the weird socially awkward and a bit too way, not the I sit around in pajamas and play with toys will solving cases way.  

Harry Pawter

Omnipresent Protagonist

Dynaswhore

Wheezing Genius

6,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:38 am
Near.....hmm... let me just search for the right words....
*thinks*

I don't think near is bad, he's just a really socially detatched boy. Actually i think he's pretty sweet, for example he doesn't hate Mello, when Roger suggested they should work together, he was alright to go along with it. I think he's a sweet boy, but he doesn't know how to react in certain situations. That gives off a slightly cold demeanour. Also, if he got all emotional, he wouldn't preform the duties of catching kira properly. He uses his head so, yeah.

xD plus the kid has quite alot on his plate i don't blame him.
1. pressure of being so smart
2. being an orphan
3. putting L's final pieces of the puzzle togther to solve the Kira case etc etc  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:23 am
The anime really screwed Near over character-wise, so most of my arguments are coming from the manga. (But not Chapter 109. Chapter 109 was not actually done by the TOs, and if you contest me, I will respond with a picture essay that crushes you like a bug.)

In some ways, winning is just as much his number one priority as it is Mello's. He plays by the rules as set down by L - not so much because they're not as batshit insane as, say, threatening the President of the United States with nuclear war, as because, you know, that's the way the game is played. Sure, plugging Light and Mikami full of lead would probably solve the problem (aside: seeing as that would likely make Takada Kira, and set the NPA at the SPK's throat, I'd love to see that AU), but that's not what L would do. It's not in the Rules.

He refers to the Second L as L. He keeps on doing it after he realizes the Second L is probably Kira. That's not the way a pretender to the throne would refer to the usurper. That's the way a contender would refer to the reigning chess champion.

He's kind of a cold b***h. When Mello kills most of his task force, he barely bats an eye. He accepts that he screwed up just about instantly and doesn't have time for remorse. (Contrast L during the Sakura Incident.) Apparently, though, seeing as he's eating chocolate in Chapter 108, Mello's death provoked some kind of real sentiment in him - in other words, it made him closer to the totality of L.  

DomaDoma

Deniera Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:42 am
I think that Near is cool.
If he was not in the show then Mello and Matt would of been fighting over who is L or soming like that. Near is a very smart cara in the show and he may be a copy of L(But he's MY copy of L! :3) But he is very smart and he is the one who cought Kira. Right? So even if people don't like him. They still have to agree that he was then one who stoped Kira. There for, Near was a grate add to the Show and without him, Then Kira would of never been cought until it was too late.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 pm
I don't like Near. Not because he was a "copy of L," though. Near didn't even /like/ L -- as he said, "If you can't solve the puzzle, you're just another loser." In his mind, L was one of those losers for not solving the Kira case.
I really detest Sheep's attitude. He's like, devoid of emotion and it just annoys me how he treats everyone like tools. And he's creepy. xD;;
He's snobbish. And he's /not/ smarter than Mello, either. Yeah, I see all this "mello died hes so stupid nears smarter," blah blah blah, but seriously. It's not true; people need to actually follow the storyline.
So, Near brought the Kira case to a close (I say this because he didn't actually solve it on his own). If it weren't for Mello's kidnapping of Takada, Near would not have found the real Death Note that Mikami had hidden in the bank (because Mikami brought it out to kill Takada when he thought Light wouldn't be able to). This shows that Mello thought the whole thing out and Near /didn't/. And yes, Mello died, but he knew what he was getting into. You can tell if you watch those last few episodes before he died.
Lastly, Mello is sexy. Near is creepy. Near is 17 (or something like that), but he looks like a li'l kid, and acts like a spoiled brat too.  

ButterflyStorm

25 cent D 4 N C E

7,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 am
I love Butterfly-Storm interpret of Near. Yes Near wasn't a compete clone copy of L. Near didn't allow himself become attach and friendly toward his enemy. The "Keeping you enemies closer" method was bullshit. He wasn't going to let himself get play like that.

Plus I think Near cheated toward the end. I think he wrote Mikami name down in the death note. Yes, there no proof of this, but there isn't impossible to get him or someone else to do it. Make Mikami write fake names down and point out that light was kira. Then in the end kills himself with suicide? It all ended too neatly. What about Misa? she is hinted at "Killing herself" as well.

Isn't it suspicious how ALL the KIRA's are dead? All of Near competitors are dead. It all ended too neatly for my taste.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm
25 cent D A N C E
I love Butterfly-Storm interpret of Near. Yes Near wasn't a compete clone copy of L. Near didn't allow himself become attach and friendly toward his enemy. The "Keeping you enemies closer" method was bullshit. He wasn't going to let himself get play like that.

Plus I think Near cheated toward the end. I think he wrote Mikami name down in the death note. Yes, there no proof of this, but there isn't impossible to get him or someone else to do it. Make Mikami write fake names down and point out that light was kira. Then in the end kills himself with suicide? It all ended too neatly. What about Misa? she is hinted at "Killing herself" as well.

Isn't it suspicious how ALL the KIRA's are dead? All of Near competitors are dead. It all ended too neatly for my taste.

Thank you~ c:
Hn...I like your theory. But I don't think he manipulated Mikami... Mello exposed the real Death Note hidden in the bank, and through that, Near was able to bring the case to a close like he explained at the end... and I think Mikami, as a devout worshipper of "God," was the type of person to have a mental breakdown of sorts upon realising that "God" was a fraud (haha that rhymed...). Misa committed suicide because she "can't live in a world without Light." So I think it makes sense the way it happened...
Then again, Ohba said that each person should draw their own conclusions and interpret Death Note in their own way. xD
I definitely agree with how it "ended too neatly," though... although that may just be me being dissatisfied with Near being the only Wammy boy shown to survive, especially since I dislike him so much, ahaha.  

ButterflyStorm

dykno_soar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:07 pm
Near is my least favorite character of the entire series, but I can definitely see why people like him. He's a smart, L-like character who can have his cute moments. I just didn't like him.

The main reason why I didn't like Near was because he was inactive. In the arc before, we had L, who was gambling with his life all the time and actually going outside to solve the Kira case. Then, when he's dead, we get Near. Near stays in his room all day. He doesn't take as many chances as L did, and when he does, it's because Mello went out and practically forced vital information out of the Kira case. Mello laid down the foundation of Near's work. Sure, Near is a smart kid, and he definitely had his share of clever deductions and ultimately figured out the Kira case (though again, it was all thanks to Mello.) But he cooped himself in the room far too much for me to like him that much.

Also, on his first appearance, we hear Near say that L was a loser. I never forgave him for that.

I also find Near to be quite the emotionless little kid, which I also dislike. When more than half of the SPK die, he doesn't care. Even Mello, who I'm sure we can all agree is more like Kira than L and the head of the mafia, showed emotion towards death when Matt died. Mello showed anger, happiness, remorse, sadness, he had some humanity! L had humanity! From Near, it was either his blah-face or cheeky little smirk. I'm not sure if he really had any close relationships. The closest thing might be Mello, his biggest tie to Wammy's House.

Though, I always thought that Near thought of Mello as that mean older brother who he can't help but idolize. I mean, throughout the entire series, we always see that Mello hates Near. But Near seems to genuinely like Mello. He always listens to what Mello says and enjoys the competition. And, in chapter 108, he's even eating chocolate as a homage to Mello. Now I don't know about you, but I've never seen Near eat anything in the entire series except for that one chocolate bar.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm
dykno_soar
Near is my least favorite character of the entire series, but I can definitely see why people like him. He's a smart, L-like character who can have his cute moments. I just didn't like him.

The main reason why I didn't like Near was because he was inactive. In the arc before, we had L, who was gambling with his life all the time and actually going outside to solve the Kira case. Then, when he's dead, we get Near. Near stays in his room all day. He doesn't take as many chances as L did, and when he does, it's because Mello went out and practically forced vital information out of the Kira case. Mello laid down the foundation of Near's work. Sure, Near is a smart kid, and he definitely had his share of clever deductions and ultimately figured out the Kira case (though again, it was all thanks to Mello.) But he cooped himself in the room far too much for me to like him that much.

Also, on his first appearance, we hear Near say that L was a loser. I never forgave him for that.

I also find Near to be quite the emotionless little kid, which I also dislike. When more than half of the SPK die, he doesn't care. Even Mello, who I'm sure we can all agree is more like Kira than L and the head of the mafia, showed emotion towards death when Matt died. Mello showed anger, happiness, remorse, sadness, he had some humanity! L had humanity! From Near, it was either his blah-face or cheeky little smirk. I'm not sure if he really had any close relationships. The closest thing might be Mello, his biggest tie to Wammy's House.

Though, I always thought that Near thought of Mello as that mean older brother who he can't help but idolize. I mean, throughout the entire series, we always see that Mello hates Near. But Near seems to genuinely like Mello. He always listens to what Mello says and enjoys the competition. And, in chapter 108, he's even eating chocolate as a homage to Mello. Now I don't know about you, but I've never seen Near eat anything in the entire series except for that one chocolate bar.

Heh. I like yer way of thinking~  

ButterflyStorm

Akiko-infinity

Benevolent Hellraiser

21,450 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 pm
dykno_soar

I have to disagree with your appraisal of his emotions, though I see where you're coming from.

First off, let's start with that first Near scene. When he calls L a loser. First off, from a strictly logical standpoint, it's true. L lost the game. Therefore, he is a loser (please don't be upset, L is actually my favorite character tied with Near). Secondly, why dump your puzzle out all over the floor, not knowing if you'll be in there long? There was no way to know how much Roger had to say, or how long it would take. For all Near knew, he could have to get up the very next minute. So why suddenly throw the puzzle? The puzzle with 'L' on it. This was...wait for it...a temper tantrum. Near was upset. The person he admired just died. Just lost the game. Near had probably thought L couldn't lose. And then what he said, 'If you can't win the game, if you can't solve the puzzle, you're just a loser.' In other words, he's trying to say that it doesn't matter to him. Odd, for someone who is STILL assembling an L puzzle as he says it, don't you think?

Second, he does seem to have trouble with bonds, relationships. However, this could be due to any number of things. Fans speculate he may be autistic, even. Now, he does show much more emotion to Mello than to anyone, it seems. Probably because Mello is the only one who forces himself on Near. By this, I mean that Near and Mello have been rivals since Whammy's. Mello has always been right there to push Near, not drawing away from him or just letting him do as he pleases. Mello in effect forces Near out of his comfort zone.

Most importantly, it's somewhat obvious that Near knew he could not defeat Kira doing things the way he did. But it's obvious too that he knew Mello and him together could do what L could not. They each played their roles, they were each a separate part of the puzzle. Near did what he did best, while Mello did what he did best. Near worked alongside Mello, even as Mello tried desperately to make Near fall. It was an interesting interaction, and one of the main reasons I like Near.

To each their own, that was just a bit of my character appraisal.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:32 pm
Akiko-infinity
dykno_soar

I have to disagree with your appraisal of his emotions, though I see where you're coming from.

First off, let's start with that first Near scene. When he calls L a loser. First off, from a strictly logical standpoint, it's true. L lost the game. Therefore, he is a loser (please don't be upset, L is actually my favorite character tied with Near). Secondly, why dump your puzzle out all over the floor, not knowing if you'll be in there long? There was no way to know how much Roger had to say, or how long it would take. For all Near knew, he could have to get up the very next minute. So why suddenly throw the puzzle? The puzzle with 'L' on it. This was...wait for it...a temper tantrum. Near was upset. The person he admired just died. Just lost the game. Near had probably thought L couldn't lose. And then what he said, 'If you can't win the game, if you can't solve the puzzle, you're just a loser.' In other words, he's trying to say that it doesn't matter to him. Odd, for someone who is STILL assembling an L puzzle as he says it, don't you think?

Second, he does seem to have trouble with bonds, relationships. However, this could be due to any number of things. Fans speculate he may be autistic, even. Now, he does show much more emotion to Mello than to anyone, it seems. Probably because Mello is the only one who forces himself on Near. By this, I mean that Near and Mello have been rivals since Whammy's. Mello has always been right there to push Near, not drawing away from him or just letting him do as he pleases. Mello in effect forces Near out of his comfort zone.

Most importantly, it's somewhat obvious that Near knew he could not defeat Kira doing things the way he did. But it's obvious too that he knew Mello and him together could do what L could not. They each played their roles, they were each a separate part of the puzzle. Near did what he did best, while Mello did what he did best. Near worked alongside Mello, even as Mello tried desperately to make Near fall. It was an interesting interaction, and one of the main reasons I like Near.

To each their own, that was just a bit of my character appraisal.

I must say then that we have to agree to disagree. smile As I said before, I can see how people can like Near, but as far as my own personal character tastes go, I dislike the guy.

That's an interesting point you brought up, and I must say I never heard it that way before. I do agree that Near probably admired L more than anybody else in the world, but I figure that that scene you mentioned was more of Near accepting that L wasn't as great as Near thought he was, and that L didn't live up to Near's expectations. When Near dumped his puzzle pieces on the floor, I read that as him resolving to be better than his predecessor, and to not get beaten by somebody like Kira. (And also as a quick way to get Mello to shut up.) Though, I do admit, the "loser" comment was probably just a spur of the moment thing, a quick quip on account of Near's disappointment in L.

All of the Wammy boys have trouble having real relationships, that's true enough! lol I rather like how all the geniuses have some serious issues they should probably work out. Is that bad? XD

I definitely see where you're coming from though. And it's funny enough that you mention Near and Mello's rivalry, because that's one of the main reasons why I like Mello. XD To me, it seemed like Near managed to do everything too easily, and that was one of the main reasons why I dislike Near as well, but then there was Mello who was always trying to catch up to him. Mello has fierce determination, and Near has it too, but it doesn't stick with me nearly as well. ^_^  

dykno_soar

Ao Kirisaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 am
I think Near is a nice person, but he doesn't know how to show that.His trouble in having relationships with others is probably because of the pressure put on him for being a genius and L's successor, being an orphan, many people having high expectations from him and having to continue L's work.The only person close to him was Mello and I think he cared for him.And when Near said ''If you can't win the game, if you can't solve the puzzle, you're just a loser'' , he said that to hide his emotions for losing the person he admired.So he wasn't emotionless.And he was willing to collaborate with Mello and be both considered L's successors .He must be a kind person but often misunderstood because of his cold attitude.Near is one of my favorite characters.  
Death Note Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games