Submit

Canterellare

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:36 am
Lately, I have been wondering if I should get a PS3. I have an Xbox 360, PS2 and PSP to entertain me. However, at the same time I heard the PS3 when online is free plus it can play blueray.

Is there anything I should else know about the PS3 before purchasing one? Do they support PS2 games? Am I better off with the second verison only? Can I play online with others for free? Or is it like Xbox live?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I am curious to know >w<

Edit: So I decided to buy one that is 320G and comes with God of War 3. I will be getting it by around Monday since it was bought over the net.

Now my new question are the games that are avaible. I already have my eyes on Dragon Age and Uncharted but I wonder if there other games worth purchasing.

Also, sorry if I seem like such a noob over this. I just don't want to buy a game then realize it sucks like I did with Fallout: New Vegas (though that game is just confusing.) >.<  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:52 am
Not all models are backwards compatible with PS2. I believe all are compatible with PS1 though. You can view info on that either on the PS3 wikipedia page or at http://thirdworldgeek.com/is-your-ps3-backward-compatible/

Online gameplay is totally free.

I've noticed recently (and I'm not talking about holiday specials) that various stores have had specials offers where they packaged a $50-60 new game with the newest PS3 at the normal price for the console OR they offered a $50 gift card. Right now the prices are back to normal. In the past, that usually foreshadowed a price drop in the system so I think if you wait a bit to make your decision, you might be able to get a cheaper deal.

And from my understanding the PS3 has 2 eyes - one to read DVDs and one for Blue-Rays. I guess the fact that the Blue-Ray is built in helps make the console more appealing but right now I'm still content with DVDs. They're significantly cheaper and still have very good quality. BUT.. recent news reports suggest that in terms of movies, we'll probably be downloading them more onto our smartphones, computers, or game systems. o_o; So to me that kinda defeats the purpose of worrying about blue-ray players.  

Last Showdown

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deadpool Weapon X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm
You cannot play ps2 games on the ps3 system.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:08 pm
I believe the old version of the PS3 was backwards compatible with PS2 games. The newer model, Slim, does not have the same capabilities. Not that it really matters to me. I still have my PS2 and PS1 hooked up so I can play PS classics or PS2 games anytime I want with a few button pushes. Doesn't take that much effort.  

Metus Aquinas
Vice Captain

Newbie Businessman

5,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Last Showdown

6,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm
Right now Amazon & Best Buy are selling it with a $50 gift card again.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 am
Thank you all for your help. Especially you, Last Showdown.

I am thinking I might buy a PS3. Like Metus stated, I can hook my PS2 easily and play the games on their than search for PS3 that is backwards compadible to it. Probably cost more than the orginal price too.

Also want to give this system a try because of the games it offers that xbox don't have and free online gameplay, which sounds much better than xbox.

Again, thanks for your help! Now I am off to search for a cheep price of it. Might take Showdown's advice and check out amazon & best buy.  

Canterellare

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500

Vornwrath

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm
Canterellare
Lately, I have been wondering if I should get a PS3. I have an Xbox 360, PS2 and PSP to entertain me. However, at the same time I heard the PS3 when online is free plus it can play blueray.

Is there anything I should else know about the PS3 before purchasing one? Do they support PS2 games? Am I better off with the second verison only? Can I play online with others for free? Or is it like Xbox live?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I am curious to know. >w<
The online is, in fact, free. It makes a fantastic DVD player and an excellent Blu Ray player, and it has a shitload of awesome games on it. That is reason enough, right there, to get one  
Playstation

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games