Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A New Cult of Personality? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:43 am
TeaDidikai
Magical practices seem very linked to personalities. For example: The image of Deo dancing naked in the full moon while sprinkling flower petals and singing in falsetto seems completely absurd to me.

Why? Because the vibe Deo gives off is far more grounded, stable solid... (Practical) the adjectives go on- basically 180 degrees opposite from that light airy prance that is invoked with such an image.

This is not the time for me to mention I regularly dance in my clothes and/or with my body parts, and used to be known for singing nonsense songs for no apparent reason, huh? rofl  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:48 am
I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

I was going to use you as an example, but then I realized that I don't really know you well enough to do that and decided against it. Unfortunately, I have trouble thinking about my own life and dredging up examples from it, so all I can do for now is go "Hm....I agree" and hope I think of some support later.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:04 am
Deoridhe

This is not the time for me to mention I regularly dance in my clothes and/or with my body parts, and used to be known for singing nonsense songs for no apparent reason, huh? rofl
Yes. Yes it would.

However, that isn't the same thing as being under the full moon naked in the middle of winter.

DisreputableDog>> Welcome to give it ago. If nothing else it would be interesting to see how you see me.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:25 am
That makes... a lot of sense. For example, having never being brought up in a theist background, I currently worship no gods. It's not in my nature to do so, or perhaps I was never taught how. I don't believe in gods as conscious, individual entities because I've been conditioned all my life that they don't exist. I've never had a religion so I cannot treat my path as one. It's a way of life.
I'm a social person but need a lot of privacy. I tend to keep a lot of secrets. I've also generally been rather self-dependant. So I don't/can't practise in a group and I see my path as specifically MINE. I dislike people asking me intimate questions about my path, and I never reveal the names of some of my more intimate spirit guides. So my entire makeup is somewhat opposed to large group workings and the idea of opening yourself up to your companions in magic. That alone cuts me out of many magical traditions. Freedom is also very important to me, so I found Ceremonial/Ritual Magic too restrictive. So I ended up being what I am because it fit my personality and way of working more than any other path, and I'm very happy with it.
Oh, and I couldn't work naked in a grove throwing flower petals all over the place because I'd just laugh at how silly I'd feel. Do people actually do that? eek
My thoughts on the subject anyway. Hope that's sorta what you were looking for, Tea.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:35 am
missmagpie
That makes... a lot of sense. For example, having never being brought up in a theist background, I currently worship no gods. It's not in my nature to do so, or perhaps I was never taught how. I don't believe in gods as conscious, individual entities because I've been conditioned all my life that they don't exist. I've never had a religion so I cannot treat my path as one. It's a way of life.
I'm a social person but need a lot of privacy. I tend to keep a lot of secrets. I've also generally been rather self-dependant. So I don't/can't practise in a group and I see my path as specifically MINE. I dislike people asking me intimate questions about my path, and I never reveal the names of some of my more intimate spirit guides. So my entire makeup is somewhat opposed to large group workings and the idea of opening yourself up to your companions in magic. That alone cuts me out of many magical traditions. Freedom is also very important to me, so I found Ceremonial/Ritual Magic too restrictive. So I ended up being what I am because it fit my personality and way of working more than any other path, and I'm very happy with it.
Oh, and I couldn't work naked in a grove throwing flower petals all over the place because I'd just laugh at how silly I'd feel. Do people actually do that? eek
My thoughts on the subject anyway. Hope that's sorta what you were looking for, Tea.

Yes. They do. I just wish more of them got hypothermia. Anyway- that is an interesting insight.

The flip side of this coin is that it might be that the gods who play an active role in individual's lives could introduce elements into the experiences of an individual before they are aware of who and what is doing such in order to connect with the individual from an early age.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:43 am
i think our perosnalitys along with how we were raised have a lot to do with how our faith develops. i was raised with athest parents but my dad beleved in ghosts and that taught me to. its kinds wierd to note that even though they didn't have a believ in god or anything they had not seen they encoureged my belief in fairies and elves and magick. one of my first memeories of what i wanted to be when i grew up was telling my mom at the age of 5 that i was going to be a witch.....that was the same year i saw my first ghost and had my first inconter with what i belive a water spirit.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:47 am
Neko_Bast
i think our perosnalitys along with how we were raised have a lot to do with how our faith develops. i was raised with athest parents but my dad beleved in ghosts and that taught me to. its kinds wierd to note that even though they didn't have a believ in god or anything they had not seen they encoureged my belief in fairies and elves and magick. one of my first memeories of what i wanted to be when i grew up was telling my mom at the age of 5 that i was going to be a witch.....that was the same year i saw my first ghost and had my first inconter with what i belive a water spirit.

Would you mind rephrasing that in English please.
Try to remember that not everyone can understand you when you type in bad English. I'm dyslexic and haven't a clue what you just said.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 am
Atheistic Magic isn't really that uncommon.

Anyway- more to the heart of this, I'll give an example using myself.

People who know me in real life are aware I have "Gnawing and Rending" cravings. I desire bloody meat and bone to gnaw on and I enjoy the crunching sound that such make.

This actually harkens back to a memory I have of being maybe five or six and camping with my father and our dog. We had come back from fishing and Abby was sat by the fire rending a bunny into bits. The crack of the bones as he bit into the skull can still ring in my ears if I think on it hard enough.

Now- it so happens that one of the Leshii folktales deal with a dog gnawing on a hare before these twins are granted a form of magical enlightenment. It's an interesting pattern, and the folklore is wonderful. However, I am not sure I would have drawn such gnosis from that myth if I didn't have such a fond memory of my dog. Nor do I think some of the aspects of the shamanic practices would come so easily if I did not connect with some of that folklore.

Did the gods set up that moment on my camping trip so many ages ago? If not the gods, fate, the Norns- what-haveyou... and if not them, if it was completely random, am I more drawn to my path for it? Or is my path drawn for me based upon it?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 am
reagun ban
Neko_Bast

Try to remember that not everyone can understand you when you type in bad English. I'm dyslexic and haven't a clue what you just said.

i'm sorry. when i type fast i forget to capitalis.......and i'm a bad speller. I hope this helps.

"I think our perosnalitys along with how we were raised have a lot to do with how our faith develops. I was raised with athest parents but my dad beleved in ghosts and that taught me to. Its kinds wierd to note that even though they didn't have a belief in god or anything they had not seen, they encoureged my belief in fairies and elves and magick. One of my first memeories of what I wanted to be when I grew up was telling my mom at the age of 5 that I was going to be a witch. That was the same year I saw my first ghost and had my first inconter with what I belive a water spirit."  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 am
Well, I was thinking from your various posts that a sizable portion of your faith was sort of handed down to you by your grandmother (if that's not who you mean by Baba then I'm a very sorry Dog sweatdrop ). I'm also assuming that you were raised to have respect for your elders, if not by your parents then by her, given the emphasis you've placed on it to others who don't have so much respect. Thus...it makes sense?

As for me...I don't really have heritage. So I'm a Unitarian. I don't have a lot of family and I'm not close to any of it besides my parents and my brother. I thought my mom's brother was dead for years, because my mom can't stand her father and her mother died when she was young--he's not, she just never talks about her family so I never knew; she complains that my dad never talks to his relatives but it's not like she talks to hers. I can't remember my paternal grandparents because they died when I was young. I also can't imagine ever having children, but my brother probably will eventually. Basically, I have a stable nuclear family but that's basically all there is; analogously, I've been a Unitarian all my life but I have trouble connecting to other religions and aspects of faith even though I'd like to.

Maybe.

EDIT: Is that even what you meant? I was writing this after your second post (i.e. including the topic-starter) so I may have misunderstood.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:59 am
Baba is my Great Grandmother.
Nana is my grandmother.

And yes, it makes sense.  

TeaDidikai

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:25 am
TeaDidikai
Baba is my Great Grandmother.
Nana is my grandmother.

And yes, it makes sense.
Good to know.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:46 pm
Neko_Bast
reagun ban
Neko_Bast

i'm sorry. when i type fast i forget to capitalis.......and i'm a bad speller. I hope this helps.

"I think our perosnalitys along with how we were raised have a lot to do with how our faith develops. I was raised with athest parents but my dad beleved in ghosts and that taught me to. Its kinds wierd to note that even though they didn't have a belief in god or anything they had not seen, they encoureged my belief in fairies and elves and magick. One of my first memeories of what I wanted to be when I grew up was telling my mom at the age of 5 that I was going to be a witch. That was the same year I saw my first ghost and had my first inconter with what I belive a water spirit."

Let's try again, shall we? Your second post was pretty much exactly the same as the first.

"I think our personalities, along with how we were raised, have a lot to do with how our faith develops. I was raised with athiest parents, but my dad believed in ghosts, and that taught me to [believe in ghosts]. It is kind of wierd to note that, even though they did not [believe] in God or anything they had not seen [proof of], they encouraged my belief in fairies, elves and magic. One of my first memories of what I wanted to be when I grew up, was telling my mother at the age of five that I was going to be a witch. That was the same year I saw my first ghost and had my first encounter with what I believe [was] a water spirit."

That fixes most of the spelling and grammar errors. The diction and sentence structure I can't mess with too much. Perhaps try spellcheck in future. I won't be here to make your posts legible all the time. biggrin  

Pelta

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:08 pm
TeaDidikai
The flip side of this coin is that it might be that the gods who play an active role in individual's lives could introduce elements into the experiences of an individual before they are aware of who and what is doing such in order to connect with the individual from an early age.

I have a vague recollection of a Christmas gift when I was about five or six. Some mysterious benefactor (well, someone who came to the family Christmas party) gave me a large red cloth bag filled with gemstones. To this day I haven't a clue who it was. I kinda put them away and forgot about them for years, until I started studying and looking in to the occult. The stones from this bag then started to show up in various drawers and closets around my room, and the more I researched the more I found. Now I have a borderline obsession with stones and use them constantly in my practise. And I found all the stones.
I suppose the question is whether I was given the stones because I was predisposed to/destined for magic, or do I practise magic because I was given the stones? Or would it make no difference either way?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff