Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Band Nerd Guild
Things that drive you Crazy in Music Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Soul Grim

2,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 pm
Have you ever gotten mad at something about music or have an annoying band mate or your teacher is just being serphulmakoo(Zer-Full-mu coo/to be making no sense or being ana {insert word here}) post here.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:35 pm
My teacher's favorite words are:
"THAT'S A C#!"
"THAT'S A F!"
(etc.)
And then go on and speech about intonation.
It's a lot less fun than it sounds.  

i break things

Lover

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 pm
I suppose one thing I find particularly obnoxious is when you're told to switch parts due to a lapse in the score study. Here's an example;

I was originally supposed to play the 1st Euphonium part (yes, such a thing exists) for David Maslanka's 4th Symphony (if you haven't heard it, do so; it is a fantastic piece), but my conductor discovered that we needed a harpist. Now, the harp has many exposed spots in the score, so having one is important; however, given the school setting, we didn't own a harp, so we used a keyboard. The only other keyboardist in the band played with me on the Euphonium (though on the 2nd part), so we were told to trade.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm
@ chipchu: Those are some great words
@ Dion Necurat: I don't know what it feels like but I'm guessing it feels bad cuz you practice one part and your finally good,but now you have to do it again.(Song sounds soothing and nice. ^_^ )
For me I have to do 'A Little Night Music' (Hear it,its nice) So when my teacher gives us the sheet,its for OBOE .So now I have to learn a new uncomfortable finger pattern for violin.Ex- Usual~0pen A=Open A ,Now 3 fingers on D =open A,3 fingers on G= Open D plus there's no Usual Open A except for 1  

Soul Grim

2,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100

EarlsGarden

Newbie Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 pm
syncopated notes >__>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:46 pm
I absolutely hate being paired with upper woodwinds in music. Or at least I really hate the switch back and forth between sick runs for woodwinds and then seemingly simpler low brass parts.
Example: Esprit de Corps. I love the piece, but I think I'd rather stick with the brass because tenor sax just doesn't fit with the rest of the sections. :s

I guess I don't really have any complaints about what I've played. :I  

Kavalnir

6,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

RodentFish

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:51 pm
Our conductor is...caustic. =_= He makes everyone play on their own, and as reasonable as that is considering how high-standard we are, he sometimes asks for the near-impossible. And pretty much everyone is terrified of him because he can also send you out for playing a few wrong notes in a bad mood. He doesn't hold back either.
But I guess that's how you get to the top. Our main choir got a silver medal in an international festival because of him.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:13 pm
When the conductor goes on an hour long tangent about what he ate last night with his date and we don't get any practice at all.  

The Lolwut Pear

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

svalur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:25 am
i hate when the director blames a whole section for sucking, when it's only a few people. stare
first parts know what we're doing.. but we frequently have to remind second and third parts how to play certain notes, how to count, what dynamic markings mean..
ugh. it's pathetic. if you're a junior in high school, you should know what a Bb is by now!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 am
When anyone in my section (flutes) messes up, I always get bla,ed for it. Probably cause i'm a freshman.

And i hate trills scream  

JJmonkeychic

Dedicated Sex Symbol

7,125 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Ultimate Player 200

ClarinetGoddess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:00 am
I hate it when one part in the section is playing everythign correct, but the other parts in the section are not and they all get to play while we have to sit and listen to them and try and help them figure it out because nobody in my section practices except me.
This happens a lot. First parts tend to know what they are doing, even if the other two never practice, but second and thirds are clueless imbeciles that should practice but never do and then complain they can't play the music and expect us to spoonfeed them the music.

I also hate when you deserve the first part but the other imbeciles give you second because they think its too boring for them to play, when they can't play the first part and you can play it by just sightreading

-I'm annoyingly higher level then the other clarients, but the other junior and the only good sophomore insist ont aking first parts and dont give me the opption. I only ever get first parts when its practically the same thing as every other part, but I get bored playign second and thirds because I'm always ever the only one who knows what to play. Our band music is already horridly easy for me, but at least first parts have runs and high notes that I can spend at least a few minutes figuring out. It leaves me with nothing bettr to do during practice then scales(Good news is, because i spend 2-3 hours a day practicing as habit, I know my major scales by memory, and am working on minor scales)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 pm
Percy grainger just doesnt care for bass trombone at all...he will write a note here and there...then the song ends.  

Ayame Chiba

Procrastinaddict

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 pm
I hate it when a piece has 8va above the majority of the notes. Honestly, I don't understand why they just can't write the notes up an octave. And I hate getting yelled at for not following the tempo and not knowing how to fix it. Or if I totally think I am but I'm apparently not following the tempo...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 am
Clavicular breathing. It irks me to no end.  

MezzoPianoX

kittyjeans456

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:32 am
I hate that im the only tenor saxophone at my school because if i play i a wrong note then no other tenor can block it out. And i stand out when we play because im on the very edge.  
Band Nerd Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff