A haven for writers of all kinds. 

Tags: writing, prose, poetry, writers, reading 

Reply Announcements
Challenge/game?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like this idea? Would you participate?
  I like the idea, I'd participate
  I like the idea but probably wouldn't participate
  I don't like the idea but I'd try it out
  I don't like the idea and won't participate
View Results

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm
I was once part of a group in which we had 'assignments' to help keep our minds alive with language and creativity. One of my favorite exercises was being given a number of words and a topic to write about. From this, we wrote poems, short stories and may have even sparked an great idea for bigger things.

I'm curious to know if this can be started here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am
Can you give an example of what you mean?  

SaraDiva728

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 am

I post a topic for all guild members to participate in, telling them the deadline is the end of the month.
I tell them they have to use these five words:

Pessimist
Self-sufficient
March
Black out
Varmin

I tell them the theme for this challenge is:
Water

This gives them 5 words they must incorporate into a poem, short story, or any other creative writing they feel compelled to write, and it also gives them a jumping off point. They can choose to make the setting a beach, underwater, they can choose to make the characters in their writing be on a search for water, or a first person perspective of someone drowning, maybe even a short story or poem about someone who stepped in a puddle. All of these things must be written using the 5 words above. The idea is to make it a challenge. Picking 5 words that can be used in more than one way. The theme has to be even more broad, able to allow multiple directions for the writer to go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:16 pm
Hmm.. The idea is interesting, and while I don't see it is harmful or anything, the only section it would really fit in is the contests section.

And that has more of an official vibe from what's been put in there.

I'll mull it over, if none of the other mods log in to give feedback I'll try to come to a decision in a week or so.

It is a good idea though.  

Kelethor
Crew

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Thanks. It might be a good way to get some activity going in the guild.
I personally have nothing to share because I have nothing to write. I'm too busy to sit down and relax and write, letting ideas flow. I think if I had some structure to be creative in, narrow it down a bit, then I'd be able to focus within the perimeters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:26 pm
I suppose if enough people show interest by posting in this thread I'll sanction it.

It'll get some activity going, and while this is running I can work towards getting more people to comment and critique the other work on the site.

Also, the "prize" for such a thing will need to be discussed if we're running it as a contest.  

Kelethor
Crew

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 pm
Cool, thanks.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 am
I like this idea. It's a good challenge that I'm totally on board with. I hope it shows up in the guild.  

wolfs shepard

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:16 pm
Hooray! I have your support!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:38 pm
It sounds really interesting. Go for it!  

Joonbong

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Still a no?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:36 pm
Well, There's a few obstacles, since I'd be considering it as an official contest.

If there's only 3 or 4 entries it's not too much of a contest, and right now activity is pretty dead, I mean it's possible we'll get more, but not very.

The other big problem, is I'm the only active crew member I know of at the moment, so that's pretty much it for judges. I don't want a winner to be decided purely on one person's opinion, even my own.

I suppose if at least three judges can be rounded up, and say.. five, six contestors minimum, sure.

It's not so much been a "no" as "Okay, still waiting for more support to be shown". I'm all for the idea overall.  

Kelethor
Crew

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm not looking to make it a contest (IMO, obviously your thought was to make it a contest). I'm looking to write. I've been trying to find a place that can help me better my writing. That would be the prize; bettering writing skills. It's just a writing exercise. sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:47 pm
Well, the challange part of the post clued me in that it was meant as more of a competitive idea.

Anyway, since it doesn't really require much, go nuts. Like I said earlier, I have no objections to the idea itself.  

Kelethor
Crew

Announcements

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces