Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Dundeleedum's sketchbook (New works, sept 05 2011)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:53 pm
Nothing really worthwhile but I'll have a go at it anyway.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Yeah. Sorry for the crappyness.
emo  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:04 pm
Oh, don't say that your stuff is crappy! I like it. It shows a certain spontaneity that's hard for some artists. It seems like the art just leapt from your brain to the page, and is like "I'm here, and I'm awesome!". It totally is.
It does, however, seem like you're hiding eyes a lot behind sunglasses. The only way to get better is to practice.
You're quite talented.

aspiring android

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm
Madness Sounds
Oh, don't say that your stuff is crappy! I like it. It shows a certain spontaneity that's hard for some artists. It seems like the art just leapt from your brain to the page, and is like "I'm here, and I'm awesome!". It totally is.
It does, however, seem like you're hiding eyes a lot behind sunglasses. The only way to get better is to practice.
You're quite talented.

Thanks. razz

I'm not hiding anything, just that I haven't come around to draw anyone without sunglasses/closeup headshots  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm
Dump.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  

Dundeleedum

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:17 pm
See post below, broken links...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 pm
Pieces I did for a commission. Took me forever so I can't even see what's wrong in them anymore.

User Image

And a before-after drawing with corrections...

User Image

All traditional, graphite work.  

Dundeleedum

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 pm
More random crap I try to scam people out for gold

User Image
User Image

Not enough Photoshop on the second one. Scanner doesn't do it right. Should get a colour wheel/value scale for calibration next time.

Boohoo nobody replies to my thread wahmbulance  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 pm
Hm, I think you should start by establishing your ground and placing the character on it for weight. In the spirit of being lazy, here's some crits I gave other people. The principles never change, so you can learn just as much from looking at crits of other work.

Ground your figures and show the space they take up.

User Image

Draw solid, 3d shapes and connect them with soft bodies.

Linked for nudity

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Actions should be clear in silhouette.

User Image

The body always balances itself. With even weight, the head is evenly over the feet. When the weight is offset, the head is over the weight bearing foot.

User ImageUser Image

User Image

You're here:

User Image

Put them together and work to be here:

User Image

Add some Light and Shadow Theory:

Quote:
Without getting complex or technical (that can be left for color theory), light is pretty active. It doesn't stop when it hits something. It bounces off and back to our eyes. That's how we see. Empty space is pitch black because the light just keeps going and doesn't come back. Value means how light or dark something is. Low values are dark and high values are light. White is your highest value. Black is the lowest. When learning shading, I like to choose a number of steps and work from there to make sure I can see the difference.

User Image

User Image

Parts of shadow

Highlight - This is your highest light on the object. How bright and the shape depends on the surface material and texture. You can see examples of that in this awesomely kickass art guide.

Midtones - These are the transitional values between the light and the dark on the object. They will be darker than your light, but not as dark as the dark side.

Core shadow - This is the darkest part of your shadow. It's where your dark side starts. The reflected light doesn't reach here. Also called your form shadow. The shape of your object is mostly defined by this shadow. The edges are softer.

Reflected light - Light will bounce off the surface that your object is near back onto the object. The reflected side will always be darker than your light/mid side, but never as dark as the core shadow.

Cast shadow - This shadow is your darkest shadow. It's made by something directly blocking the light. The edges are sharp.

And be here:

User Image

Only you know. Good. Haha. The light thing was new to me when I did that crit and I still have a lot to learn.

Composition and Staging

User Image  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:11 pm
Whoa Errol, that's a lot of stock! Thanks smile

The silhouette thing is especially intetersting.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm
User Image

First time colour since forever. Also new tablet. Commission.  

Dundeleedum

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:53 am
Ohhh your colors really pop !
This is really good * u * Most people begin with really bland colors lol....

Try experimenting with darker, cooler shadows to really bring out the form.
In order words, jump hues on the color wheel and move towards the black/desaturated part of the square hahah * u *

Would like to see where your style takes off from here !  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:07 pm
Yulo-chan
Ohhh your colors really pop !
This is really good * u * Most people begin with really bland colors lol....

Try experimenting with darker, cooler shadows to really bring out the form.
In order words, jump hues on the color wheel and move towards the black/desaturated part of the square hahah * u *

Would like to see where your style takes off from here !

I know that people usually have bland-colour problems so maybe I overdid it somewhat. Indeed more experimentation would yield better results! Thanks.  

Dundeleedum

Dundeleedum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm
User Image
User Image
User Image

Newest to oldest I think

My s**t doesn't really change

I think I've got sameface syndrome

Uh oh

Go to sleep D you ain't making any sense  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]