Welcome to Gaia! ::

Street Art Guild

Back to Guilds

Whether you do graffiti, paste ups, stickers, stencils or even just art inspired by them, this is the place to hang out 

Tags: graffiti, sticker, stencil, paste, design 

Reply Street Art Guild
Who's Your Favorite/Inspiration? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm
Here's something that I thought would make an interesting topic for here.

Which graffiti writers/street artists are your favorites/inspirations?

Whether they're small local artists or big famous ones, everyone usually has someone they like or someone who inspired them to start going graffiti.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm
Oooh. My earliest inspiration was Banksy, Yeah, original I know. razz
I wish I could remember who the sticker artist who revolutionized my ideas about street art was... It would be nice to thank whoever it was. Some big name anyway.

My other early inspirations were 123Klan, Flying Fortress, Robots will Kill, and the local NZ crew, Cut Collective.
I've kinda moved on from them these days. I got no real pinned down inspirations. My partner in crime Vanilla Fiction inspires me to keep innovating.

Other than that I follow a million blogs who offer up a nice selection of talent to inspire me every day.  

izak1399
Captain

5,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Flatterer 200

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm
That's pretty cool. Flying Fortress was one of the people that inspired me too, and I still look at their blog thing every so often.

I don't really remember who exactly my biggest inspiration was when I started. It was pretty much just anything good that I saw, I guess.

One person that inspired me to try making stickers was a local artist called Four Eyes. I have no idea who they really are, or if they even still make stickers, but a lot of their older stickers are still around my area. They've always been one of my favorite people too.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:37 am
Yeah, There are a few cool sticker artists in town. The one that I always enjoyed was a guy called thisisrabbit. Sadly he's living in the states now I think. I still keep an eye on his blog though. He once sent me a pile of stickers and stuff to put up around town, I like supporting other artists.  

izak1399
Captain

5,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Flatterer 200

Damon Zane

2,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 am
The first one that got me hooked was Ghost. Loved how he worked characters and letters. From there it went to Cope 2, IZ the Wiz, Seen. Now I love Obey and a local guy called Ichabod. Goes by Ich a lot. This dude is up everywhere and does some amazing whole cars.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:51 am
izak1399
Yeah, There are a few cool sticker artists in town. The one that I always enjoyed was a guy called thisisrabbit. Sadly he's living in the states now I think. I still keep an eye on his blog though. He once sent me a pile of stickers and stuff to put up around town, I like supporting other artists.

I love it when people do that. Once I did a sticker trade with a guy from Germany, but that's the only time someone sent me stickers.

Damon Zane
The first one that got me hooked was Ghost. Loved how he worked characters and letters. From there it went to Cope 2, IZ the Wiz, Seen. Now I love Obey and a local guy called Ichabod. Goes by Ich a lot. This dude is up everywhere and does some amazing whole cars.

That's pretty cool. I have a sticker from Shepard Fairey actually. It's not one of the normal Obey ones though, it's a little bigger and says something about the U.S. Treasury. I have no idea where I got it, but I've had it for a while.  

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

street ninja ham

5,000 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:07 am
well i wasnt into street art at all till one day i was on youtube and i saw a keep 6 stompdown video and i just luvd graff since then and then i got into a guy named mr.fangs http://www.mrfangs.com/test3/home.php thats his site if u wana check it out  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:50 pm
Definitley everyone in TATS CRU from New York, and EWOK is another big influence from NYC. SEEN too, but that goes without saying.
There's a writer on Deviant Art named SETIK who I really love, he's got dope style. Same with another guy on dA who writed HEMP ONE.

And then for street art it's Banksy, Space Invader, the common ones.

But my #1 influence and role model is a local writer WES. He does amazing wildstyles in the tunnels, runs the best crew in the city (Striktly Dope Krew), does legal murales all over the city, and is opening a graff shop soon. I've been helping out a bit, getting s**t set up, but mostly just chilling.  

SADERR
Crew

dusklord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am
My main inspiration would have to be from Blu, just the way his characters look are so wierd and amazing. Ed Templtons artwork as well as the sketches Mark Gonzales does as well.
Instillation wise I would have to say I get inspiration from Mark Jenkins and Jim Henson (yes the man who made the muppets lol)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 am
I just took a stroll through deviantART and I'm starting to notice something. The toys on their with no style all seem to have one thing in common. They make art around the words instead of making the word art.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Graffiti&order=9&offset=312#/d1ookmg

Here's and example of what I am talking about. They put a lot of detail into the character but the words look weak. Their only interpretation of graffiti is putting words on a wall, not making it beautiful.

To make it relevant to this topic they had a bad inspiration to their art.  

Damon Zane

2,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pastel Pimp

4,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:19 pm
Damon Zane
Their only interpretation of graffiti is putting words on a wall, not making it beautiful.

Way to many people interpret it that way. Not just other people making art, but the people who are unrelated to it and just form opinions on it. A lot of people fail to realize how much work someone puts in to every letter, and just think of it as words on a wall.

People like the people in the example usually don't even look into it though. They never really take the time to think about what it is, or really even look at it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:35 am
s**t I'd say Cope 2, Baby Tilt Wizard, Mr Wiggles, Asid, Remik 1, Mad Hater, Dare, and Seen.  

profuse
Crew

Phantom

SOEP ONE
Crew

The Committee Staff Member

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • nuGen Staff 25
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 am
Caffeinated_Meow
Damon Zane
Their only interpretation of graffiti is putting words on a wall, not making it beautiful.

Way to many people interpret it that way. Not just other people making art, but the people who are unrelated to it and just form opinions on it. A lot of people fail to realize how much work someone puts in to every letter, and just think of it as words on a wall.

People like the people in the example usually don't even look into it though. They never really take the time to think about what it is, or really even look at it.

amen  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 am
dusklord
My main inspiration would have to be from Blu, just the way his characters look are so wierd and amazing. Ed Templtons artwork as well as the sketches Mark Gonzales does as well.
Instillation wise I would have to say I get inspiration from Mark Jenkins and Jim Henson (yes the man who made the muppets lol)
wtf blu is a lady scream  

street ninja ham

5,000 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Damon Zane

2,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am
chingyblingy
dusklord
wtf blu is a lady scream

That she is. Wonder why no one caught that sooner.  
Street Art Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff