Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
What's with the "feeling"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why are you drawing?
to sell my pic's $_$
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
to do cute stuff *,*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
to express yourself O.o
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
out of boredom -.-
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
other (tell me :>)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

nothingy

7,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:43 am
Hey, I hope I'm allowed to post this here... but I didn't find anything speaking against it... so here's what the thread is all about!

I don't know if you draw to do "cute" pics or you draw to sell your art or whatever~ but I bet you're also drawing to show a feeling... like
"YEAY! I'm happy and want to share this feeling! *starts drawing*"
or
"=( I'm so sad right now, I want to share this feeling *starts drawing*"
or whatever feeling you want to share... And exactly THAT is my problem, i want to show it on an example:
User Image
User Image
User Image

The steps are: 1.scribble 2.sketch and 3.outlines...i also started to color the thing and it looks more and more clean/sterile and the feeling get lost :< You know what i mean?

My sketches are always full of feeling I want to share (I see it that way, feel free to say the opposite xD if you think so) but when i go further and get more to the finished pic, the feelings get lost...
If you know the problem, could you help me to fix it < smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 am
Choosing the color itself is an important aspect in drawing moods. Obviously, (or hopefully obviously), you don't use bright, warm colors in a piece you're trying to convey sadness with.

I would need to see an example of what you mean by "sterile/clean". I think I have an idea of what you mean, but I'd like to be sure. It sounds like a problem with lack of tone and contrast, going without an example.  

Quvi

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:44 am
Very intense work.

It really gives off a sense of emotion. Like sadness.
It's good that you're expressing yourself through art and that's what I like.

The feeling I'm getting from this piece represents the feeling of loneliness, helplessness, and frustrations.

The first sketch shows a lot of that. The sketchy lines really got me there.

Digital art is good too. Adding colour will give more of an impact on to your drawing.

I most highly recommend traditional art for this piece. You can adjust the thickness of the lines and colour it how ever you like.
In my opinion, you want to transfer your feeling onto your art.
If it's on the computer, you're relying on your mouse ( or tablet ) and art programs to finish it. It's like you're putting your feelings on the mouse, but not the actual drawing.
Unlike traditional, you're directly putting your feelings right on the canvas. Right on display.
You're directly controlling the brush, not indirectly using the mouse on a screen.

Hope that helped. Good luck !

Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff