Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
When to show a scene

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Titaniana

Magical Prophet

13,225 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am
Hi everyone.

I'm about to start writing for today and I'm wondering whether I should write this scene of interaction or let what happens remain a mystery and be revealed through the characters interaction over the next few chapters.

It would be a fun scene to write, no doubt, but I think story wise things might be more interesting if things are left up in the air for a while. I'm really not sure which way to go.

Opinions?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 am
Personally, I tend to go for giving the reader more information rather than less. There are times when hiding information can be good, but sometimes it just ends up being irritating because characters keep referring to things you don't know about. It depends how you handle it, really. It's hard to say without knowing more, but I think if the scene will be fun, go ahead and write it and see how you feel afterward. Of course, it also depends on how important the scene is to the plot.  

Racheling

Moonlight Sailor

AurinJade

Mind-boggling Blob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm
Don't make it an ultimatum. Write the scene. However, you can choose whether or not it features in the final cut of your story. It doesn't have to be one or another. Write it, try it out both ways, see which way fits better.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 am
The biggest lesson I've learnt is is show not tell. Telling your character is a lazy approach in the long-term. The books that stand out in my mind let me draw conclusions of my own. Show a scene, don't tell us what happens.

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items