Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Internet relationships?
  Yay?
  Nay?
View Results

JEWDAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:36 pm
What are your opinions on internet relationships?

Although a lot of people are against them, I find them to be a good method of meeting significant others. When you talk to somebody on the internet and form a connection with them, you can truly see how beautiful they are without seeing what they look like.

I've never understood the HATRED of internet relationships, aside from the danger of not knowing who you're really talking to and all that.

Do you judge people who are having an internet relationship?
What is your opinion, ladies?
Yay or nay?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm
K R A Y Z E H SEZ:

Hmm...
I've never been one to judge someone because they have an internet relationship.
People usually find others who they get along great with over the web so i can see how it happens.
However, i don't like cyberers.
The fact that they're usually just kids is what freaks me out about that.
But an actual relationship, where the two people feel they are in love, then i don't have anything against that.

3nodding User Image

/END.

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 pm
User Image

I think it is stupid to have one over a site aimed twords teens and kids. You never know who is behind that monitor.

I think it is fine if you go to like e-harmony or something, And if you are older and mature.

But on a site like Gaia, it's dumb.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 pm
User Image
As long as you know the rules of online dating safety, I have no problem with it at all. Internet dating is great for people with social disorders, such as autism. Face-to-face conversations are extremely difficult and awkward.
I myself have this (high-functioning, aka Asperger's, but still autism nonetheless.) and I've done it once before. She ended up leaving me for a guy and I found out from her cousin. Sucked, but it was actually great while it lasted.

User Image

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

Nanaremilamina

Timid Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:48 pm
I'm half and half on it.

Yes, some people have met their significant other online, and even some have been here on Gaia. It all depends if both are willing to put the effort into it. And if they can do it, and do it safely, more power to them.

However, the little teen/tween romances here on Gaia are things I don't take seriously. Only because you really don't know who is behind the screen.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm
I'm going to have to go with pretty much what everyone else here has said. When you are a mature person and know how to conduct yourself on the internet, it's not a bad idea. Also, what Shady said is true, it's a great way to meet people when you have a disorder such as autism, or even if you just plain don't have the confidence.

However, people need to be aware of who they are meeting and keep safety as their number one priority. If something sounds fishy, it probably is. Some people just don't realize how easy it is to pretend to be someone else online.  

KinaMorii

Friendly Seeker

Annikou

Blessed Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm
    When I was in my teens I was in multiple online relationships and I can honestly say I am not fond to tell people this. Unless they were in them as well.... Though I did meet many fine people in those days the men were rather disgusting now that I think about it. But I went for the weirdos I suppose. I think you shouldn't go looking for love on the computer through these sites, but if it happens to just happen then its all good as long as you know you can trust them. Personally, I met my boyfriend of almost 7 years on yahoo messenger and it went from online to in real after a few years. He became my best friend and because the internet we know more about each other then anyone else does about us. I always found guys annoying and dumped them quickly in person, but me and him seem to have lasted so it worked for me. I just don't see if working in the long run with everyone. You may think it'll last, but about 80% of the time it typically ends with them cheating, your cheating, or both getting sick from the distance. You have to be so strong and ready for the responsibilities of an online relationship.... I do not recommend it to anyone to be honest. But I will never look down on someone who chooses to be in one, that'd make me a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm
I think there is a difference between an internet relationship and a long distance relationship. If a relationship stays purely online and both partners have no intentions of ever taking it offline, then yes, it is rather pointless. But if their relationship develops into a LDR, they are intimately involved in eachother's lives, are going to eventually move closer together and pursue a proximity relationship, and are only using the internet merely as one way of communicating, then I honestly can not see anything wrong with that.  

Sophisticated Simplicity

Greedy Cat

Veloxi

Newbie Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm
I dislike the idea of online relationships. Sure, you make a great connection with someone, and all that jazz. It's even fine to have a bit of a crush on an online person, or even like them. Even I like one of my online friends. But even if they returned my feelings, and wanted to have a relationship online, I would decline.

Why? Because I see no point in it. In another site that I use. TinierMe, most of the online relationships I see on there have those actions. Like *kisses* or *hugs*. And it makes no sense to me. How does that replace the actual kissing and hugging you can do in real life? It doesn't! They're just typed up words, which mean nothing in my opinion. I rather actually see the person, hear their voice, be able to touch them easily, and all that jazz.

As for the beauty of seeing only the personality. . .eh. I agree with this, I suppose. But it's not enough to make me want to have a relationship online with that person. For me, I need to see if they physically attract me or not. Yes, yes, I know. Personality is more important than physical features. I stand by that statement. But I still require some physical attraction.

So for me, online relationships are a no-no. Though, I don't mind if other people do it. Their life, their choice.

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Some people work well with online relationships. Other prefer one in real life. In the end, they both end up being together.

I am not a fan of those who see it more as a fling than something serious, especially for adolescents. But hey, it happens in the real world too at the age. Like everyone else, I agree that a certain person has to be mature to try dating online and have plans to actually meet the person in real life as well.

Heck, I also feel Shady's pain. I also have a sickness that keeps me bound to a chair and home at all times. This limits me from going out and meeting people. So I interact with others over the internet, taking safety precaution of course. Even now, I am in a online relationship for five years and I hope when I recover to meet him too.

Either way, my point is that a person who is willing to try out online dating should be prepared and mature for such relationship to take place. Plus, there will be a lack of actually physical contact for quite some time.  

Canterellare

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500

zZzBVBzZz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm
well u half and half really...i mean u could meet someone tht lives close to u and might get to kno them bettr. but on the othr hand it could be a perverted old guy behind the othr monitor. i hav nvr had an online relationship but im sure sometimes ur best relationships start ovr the internet. at least thts wat my frends tell me. and u cant judge them by looks if they dont post a pic. and if they do...avoid lookin at it. so i guess thts my opinion on tht Question.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:51 pm
i'm not a fan of internet relationships. it's like you're dating your computer or phone. true, you get to know someone, but i don't really think internet relationships are valid because there's no physical aspect to set it apart from a friendship.  

Cold Oktober

Kittensaurex

Sparkly Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:17 pm
*points to siggy*

I've known my boyfriend for 6+ years. Met online, date online, and hopefully next year we'll finally be together forever. :') It's a lot of work but totally worth it imho. We're perfect for one another.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 pm
I don't mind internet relationships. But I cannot pursue an internet relationship without webcamming with them. I would like to know that the person I have been communicating for said months is not someone of the opposite gender they perceived themselves as, or someone of significant age game.

I have one guy I have known for 2 and a half years, he understands me, I've webcammed with him several times, talked to his mom via webcam. We are in a stage that we are not yet ready to pursue a relationship unless we've met in real life. Because really, if when you meet and there wasn't a connection as you thought it was, it's disheartening. So when we meet, we're not giving ourselves false expectations. Whether or not we work out, he is still an amazing friend.

Wumps

Tipsy Tipper

RyuShikyo Yagari

Blessed Giver

7,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm
For me its a nay, but I do see your point  
It's A Girl Thing!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]