Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gollllld
  CHEESE!!! ((with a little MMB))
View Results

Farnoosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:11 pm
I wanted to make this thread so people don't have to go around asking questions and feel like idiots.
Trust me, I would know the feeling.
So ask about anything and we promise to answer the best we can.
I also wanted to ask all of the people contributing ((please... contribute... ^^;; )) that if questions are repetitive, don't get angry, I wouldn't read through fives pages as well.
Please and thank you.
And this doesn't have to only be a question thread.
We can also discuss.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:35 am
Wow, this idea worked.
xD
Okies, personally I have a question...
Is Goldfinger ska?
I kind of don't understand when someone says something is ska and doesn't have any trumpets and such.
>_>

Farnoosh

Electric Uncle Akuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:19 pm
I don't think using the ska style of guitar, bass, and/or drums constitues your band as ska. Horns compiled within those elements that have a mixture of Reggae and 1st wave gives you ska recognition in my oppinion.
No horns, no go.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Electric Uncle Akuma
I don't think using the ska style of guitar, bass, and/or drums constitues your band as ska. Horns compiled within those elements that have a mixture of Reggae and 1st wave gives you ska recognition in my oppinion.
No horns, no go.

that we like to call "ska core"....like stray bullets and such.  

koolbeanzkt

Electric Uncle Akuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:16 pm
koolbeanzkt
Electric Uncle Akuma
No horns, no go.

Yeah I know Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the lot.
But, I wasn't specificly talking about ska-core.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:23 pm
Electric Uncle Akuma
No horns, no go.
I have to disagree.
Ska isn't about horns, it's about the emphasis on the off-beats of the music.
Just like having horns doesn't automatically make a band ska.  

Asthen

Farnoosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:37 pm
i agree with Asthen, because they sound pretty ska to me.
So I'm not sure.
When someone asks me what ska is I usually say it's like rockish-reggae with horns.
But now that people are telling me that Goldfinger is ska, I don't know what to think.
Also Operation Ivy is supposibly ska, and they don't have any horns.
o.o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:50 am
koolbeanzkt
Electric Uncle Akuma
No horns, no go.

ska core isn't just having the ska guitar and bass parts but not having horns, look at the flatiners and the code they have alot of emphasis on the up beat
does that make them ska  

AnonymousJoe

DarkVice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:05 pm
I'd say that the beat is more important for saying whether or not a song is Ska. If you listen to Trad it doesn't always a horn section, and quite often the horns are just emphasizing the beat except during the chorus. Yes, having a horns section is one of the things that helps define Ska, but its not one of the requirements.
Aside from that, I'd say that it's kind of lame to argue about whether band is ska, ska-core, ska punk, ska-punk-core, jazz-ska, jazz-core, core-ska-punk-core-jazz-post-core, or anything else.... I'd say just settle for saying "Goldfinger likes to use a Ska beat". and leave it at that.
On another note, OpIV is total Ska-Punk..... possibly the fathers of such!
(hypocrisy is fun isnt it?)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:10 pm
that made me laugh. a lot.

Thanks DarkVice.  

UreshiiNyoko

AnonymousJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
hahahahaha i just have to say this, jazzcore is completly different from any ska band i have ever heard, IM me ill send you sleep terror and psyopus there jazzcore and you'll see its nothing like ska  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:33 pm
@___@
Thankies?
Yah whatever, I love Goldfinger.
Ska or not.

Farnoosh

DarkVice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:08 pm
Sorry about that! sweatdrop I got a little carried away!
Although Iactually have a question now. Okay so we all know the basic idea of ska... and rocksteady is much the same but muuuuuuch slower, and reagge is similar except most notably the guitar work is mimicking the beating of a heart.....
What's the defining feature of dub?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:19 pm
i have no idea...
Anyone?

Farnoosh

Leveller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 pm
dub is a sort of "remix" of reggea and rocksteady, when you max the bas effect and play with effects such as, echo, delay and reverb.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff