Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions
LINE ART IS. . .

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:04 pm
Content may contain explicit language. Viewer discretion is advised./

Line art is definitely not for everyone. x_x

Since I use multiple computers, I usually use my main one, which has a crappy mouse and keyboard with sticky keys.
Of course, I don't really care about that. What's really bothering me is my lack of finishing things.
Well, actually no. My lack of finishing something hard that took 5 - 6 hours and still is not finished. . . if you get what I mean.
Once the hard work is done, more hard work has to be done too so that loses my motivation of colouring the piece.
To put it simply, using a mouse to draw line art on SAI is F**KING HARD.
I finish the line art but then I'd have to colour it, and that's when I die on my chair.

On the other computer, I can rarely use that one. It has the tablet and Photoshop ~
. . . but my older sibling uses it.
And once I realize I could have used it, I don't because I'm busy doing line art-- which is upsetting.

Any tips for line art ? I want it to be as easy for me as possible.

Oh-- here's an example and a link of my unfinished stuff. [ link ][ link ]

If you're wondering what tools I use to make it. . .

1. Linework Layer
2. Pen
3. Edit
4. Pressure
5. Weight

>u> Yup.

I usually do lineless art because I find it easier for me and I like the style of it. I can't do that on my main computer since it's harder for me. Harder than line art.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:48 pm
Oohh~ Such clean lines! Oh dang, you used a MOUSE for that? eek

Yeah, using a tablet is much easier for doing line art. heheh.

TIP: when using the linework layer, you can hold down CTRL and you will be able to maneuver the lines without clicking 'edit' all the time.

You should get familiarized with using a mouse or tablet to draw line art, I guess the more you do it, the more experience you get? XD

Also, you could draw the picture on paper and scan it if that's not what you're already doing.  

Rhythm Pocky

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:15 pm
@ Rhythm Pocky : Yeah, I use CTRL as well but since I always eat food when I'm drawing, I have a left hand for something else. ;D
But I use Edit rarely.

About the 'drawing it on paper' thing, the other OTHER computer ( err, laptop ) has the printer and my dad's using it. >u>;;
I usually do freehand anyways.

Any other programs that could help me ?
I'm pretty good at the Pen tool on Photoshop. But uh. . . I don't have that on this computer.
GIMP has it too but I don't like it. >u>;;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:30 pm
I don't know if this works in SAI... But in Photo shop you can fold down the shift or control button (forgot which one, but this is when my tablet was broken XD) and it makes a straight line from your beginning click to the end click. and you can trail it like -clikc--click-click- and the are connected (not straight line tool) You just do lots of mini lines and they look smooth o.o.
Or get a tablet, you're good and it'd be worth it XD

(Actually, if you have a scanner too, you can buy caligraphy pens and ink over sketches and erase. Caligraphy pens make fine lines... (then if you just want to use paint bucket on it, in photoshop, use the filter stamp tool. It hardens the lines.)  

AbsentWhite

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm
What tool do you use for that ?
It sounds like the Pen tool. . . which I love. ;w;

Sadly, I don't have calligraphy pens. I scan watercolour traditional paintings.
On rare occasions I do scan my sketches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 pm
drr...call me an idiot, but what exactly is this "SAI" i hear everyone talks about...im a gnewbie and it took me a while to know what tablets are at the beginning...so...im guessing perhaps its something simiar to photoshop?  

Shuuchi

Devoted Lunatic

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm
Well, yeah I guess you could say that.

I guess it's more of a newer and better version of openCanvas1.1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:48 pm
As much as I'd love to say there's an easy, magical way to do line art... there really isn't. Everyone does it slow, you can't think of line art as a trivial part of the drawing, it's another big, painstaking step in your picture.

Since you say you're working with a mouse, you can use the pen tool to give off the pressure sensitive feel of the tablet. I'm not familiar with SAI's tools, but they looked convenient for drawing.  

Quvi

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm
Aha, you're right. Line art is super hard.

I do use the Pen tool because it's pretty neat and the Pressure tool is good too.
I'll just bear with it for now. ;w;

Tips, Tutorials, and General Questions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff