Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Bitchin' about my town. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

n o i r i s t

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:28 am
Bracknell = s**t, spit and litter. Srsly if any of ya come visit, watch your step.
*Bored.*

What's your town like?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:39 am
My hometown is Canterbury, its quite clean, full to the brim with period buildings from the past few hundred years, and very good if you like shopping. Though its not as nice as some cities in the South (I'm looking at you Guildford..), its nice little haven in Kent that hasn't become riddled with chavs.  

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:06 pm
My hometown in the states is like a typical New England town--working class; lots of trees, lakes, and rivers; homes with fences, local everything [bank, market, gas station]. It's pretty spread out though and I haven't been to every part of i because of that but it's mostly houses and very uninteresting unless you like hiking, bicycling, and the like.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 pm
My hometown is in the middle of northern Wisconsin woods. WI being North-Central USA. It's home to about 3k people but in the summer the tourists swarm it and the population rises to about 10k. No exaggeration. Nature is beautiful, the tourists not so much.

Say, on the topic of hometowns, what is considered a small town in England? I've always had the impression that what we would consider a small city is more likely to be viewed by someone from Europe/England as a small town, and a small town of ours like a village of yours. Ie, population density is so much greater cross the pond it effects how we view the sizes of the places where we live.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

Garwaire

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 am
Sir_Catherine
My hometown is in the middle of northern Wisconsin woods. WI being North-Central USA. It's home to about 3k people but in the summer the tourists swarm it and the population rises to about 10k. No exaggeration. Nature is beautiful, the tourists not so much.

Say, on the topic of hometowns, what is considered a small town in England? I've always had the impression that what we would consider a small city is more likely to be viewed by someone from Europe/England as a small town, and a small town of ours like a village of yours. Ie, population density is so much greater cross the pond it effects how we view the sizes of the places where we live.

Well in Europe and indeed Britain, cities are determined not only by population size, but whether there is a Cathedral and/or a university within the city. One of the smallest cities in the UK is Bangor, in North Wales (where I also go to university). It has a population of around 10k, but doubles when students return for the academic year.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 am
I live in Stirling. It's not even properly a city. It's a city by royal decree. Yet, for the Queen supposedly 'really liking' Stirling, the amount of poverty and drug (ab)use is sad, and the authorities do hew haw to rectify it.
When the students are in town, it's slightly better, but there's so little to do other than get trashed in pubs and clubs, it's depressing.  

loIitoads

Tachikoma Fanclub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 am
n o i r i s t
Bracknell = s**t, spit and litter. Srsly if any of ya come visit, watch your step.
*Bored.*

What's your town like?

Dude, i'm from Farnborough so I know how you feel, I think where I am has less to do then Bracknell, mind you it is a bit prettier and less full of tools?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm
Samuel Garwood
Sir_Catherine

Well in Europe and indeed Britain, cities are determined not only by population size, but whether there is a Cathedral and/or a university within the city. One of the smallest cities in the UK is Bangor, in North Wales (where I also go to university). It has a population of around 10k, but doubles when students return for the academic year.

I was born in Rhyl down the North Wales coast. And the smallest is St. Asaph, which is between the two.

...all shittips, really. sweatdrop Rhyl's the 6th worst town in the UK.  

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

n o i r i s t

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:21 pm
Tachikoma Fanclub
n o i r i s t
*Bored.*

What's your town like?

Dude, i'm from Farnborough so I know how you feel, I think where I am has less to do then Bracknell, mind you it is a bit prettier and less full of tools?

The only part of Farnborough I'm familiar with is the big cemetary. (Don't ask.) I think everywhere is prettier than Bracknell.

Oh yeah and I'd like to add broken glass to my list. The underpasses I walk through like everyday to get to work is full of the stuff. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:33 pm
Samuel Garwood
Sir_Catherine

My brother goes to Bangor, place is massive compared to Lampeter.

wink  

Invictus_88
Captain

UF6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 am
I'm from Massachusetts, I will say I'm from Plymouth area. Really not much here and I can't think why tourists come here. There is nothing here, and what is here to see is the very rich and a very poor gap growing. New Bedford is mainly a city of the poor, with a walled community.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:14 am
my hometown of chester is really quite lovely. all historic and pretty and not much of the bad goings on.

here in belfast i'm surrounded by the junkies, alcoholics, mentally ill, thuggish, sectarian types. and there's so much bombing and violence.
but the people are, on the whole, quite amusing and pleasant when they're not in any of the aforementioned categories.  

lampoon

Shirtless Shapeshifter

n o i r i s t

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:16 pm
Well, my local council has deemed it worthwhile to re-paint the underpass near the college with an underwater scene complete with dolphins, sharks, tropical fish et al...

Um, why? It's only going to be graffitied on before it dries and "Shazza woz ere!" and all the s**t'll be written on it.

Why not fix the 10 or so potholes down my main road? They're dangerous. Oh no wait sorry, you're repainting the public toilets first. Well now I can s**t in lovely surroundings. May as well s**t in the potholes, come to think of it... they're certainly deep enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm
my town is so great they dig up trees to put concrete down (its a new 'gateway to the town') i sit next to drunks on the bus (i know cos they stink sooo bad) and the new uni library is still unbuilt (in fact only half of the multistory carpark has gone as yet to make room). they put palm trees along the seafront to make it look american or something, but i heard some needed replacing cos they died.
welcome to southend on sea - the holiday destination of london!
dont use the public toilets theres always cops doing drug searches!  

g0th_chick_uk

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers