Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Pregnant Fish Questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 am
I have two young fancy Goldfish in my 55 gal Aquarium [now they have company of some new fish I bought yesterday XD]. The Female is a Fantail and the Male is a Panda Moore. Before they were put into the Aquarium I kept them together in a 23 Gal Rubbermaid Tub for over a month. When I moved them to the Aquarium earlier this week, the temperature was in the mid 70s [a bit different than the high 60s they had been constantly in for a month].

They started to get really chummy in the larger, warmer Aquarium. A lot of chasing and gentle nudging on the "male's" part [I am assuming my Panda is a male lol]. Last night I saw that my young fantail was a lot fatter than she was that morning and I haden't changed her diet at all.

When I introduced the new fish into the tank the Male looked a bit miffed and went and stalked everyone to check them out, while the female hid behind a hollowed log. After he was satisfied he returned to her and led her around the tank. [She was pretty scared when I first put a red male Betta into Aquarium, even though he didn't flare at her, he did come up to her slowly to get a look at her].

Okay. My question is about my female Goldfish. I know she can only be around 6 months old and her body length is about 2 inches long [my male is a bit older and larger]. Is this female capable of reproducing at this age? Also, can the young male fertalize her eggs, or will he be shooting blanks? XD

I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to pregnant fish, and it really is making me nervous.

Oh--I should add that I don't see any tubercles on my male. If he had them they would be easy for me to spot because he's not a full panda yet and 90% of him is covered in black. EEEeee.. What to dooo crying

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:05 pm
Hmm...I've actually never experienced goldfish breeding. But I'll try to add my two cents. First off, yes, your female can probably reproduce at that age. Second, your male might shoot blanks but no one can really know for sure until he does. Third, if the eggs do get fertilized and hatch....the probability of them surviving isn't too high. But yah...I don't have much experience in goldfish breeding....so that's all I can say. sweatdrop  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 pm
I think I remember something about goldfish males getting white nobules or something similar when they're ready to breed... Then again I wasn't paying attention.
As for the "pregnancy," goldfish are not live-breeders, meaning all she is carrying are unfertilized eggs. She'll plump up a bit, then pop them out. I had a betta female who did that. She always looked so alarmed when the eggs came streaming out of her- then she rushed to eat them all. Hey, they aren't fertizlied, it's the best way to recover nutrients. Unless you separated the eggs from the parents, I would assume the same would happen even if they were fertilized.

As a general rule though, you probably aren't going to breed any egg laying fish "on accident" and even if one or two fry makes it, they'd probably be eaten. Do nothing and you won't have to worry about babies at all. 3nodding

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/info.htm  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 pm
@Dragon

Thanks for the comments. ^^ I remember reading about this one fellow who woke up one morning and his tank of commons was covered in eggs, but what I've seen on breeding fancies it seems that everything is in a controled environment. I've given up hope of my female having eggs. If she did then she is likely reabsorbing them. I had a common who got really plump once and then reabsorbed her eggs cause she was the only Gay Eskimo ._. Er.. she had no partner.

@ Kensai

Yeah, I mentioned that I didn't spot any tubercles, so that was making me unsure of the whole mating situation. Mmm.. I know goldfish aren't live-breeders ^^ can the young male fertalize her eggs[...]"

And I wouldn't say that I would be 'worried' about having fry [at least Goldfish fry]. I think I would be quite happy. whee Goldfish may be a hassel, but I love them. They are so quirky <3 [Although I do like commons and pond goldies a bit more than fancies. Alas I have no pond. ...yet >.>;; But in Aquariums i like wobbly goldfish O 3O]

Thanks everyone who gave advice/comments! heart

Fable Fae

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:51 pm
More than likely they might have been ready to breed, but then once you put the other fish in it stressed them out to the point of stopping the process!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 pm
I completely forgot the most important part again. gonk I think it's the males that get the lumps or whatever. Then again, once again, I wasn't really paying attention. My coworker said her male got nobules or whatever on him, and he wanted to breed. There has to be some webpage with info, but I'm regretably lazy.
Well, problem with goldfish is space requirements. Even if you had 5 babies, if you kept them that'd be 50 more gallon of tank you need. (also, only the "skinny" goldfish are OK for ponds, the ones with the fat stomachs just don't overwinter well)  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces